Author Topic: First Look - Trumpeter 1/48 Type VIIC  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
First Look - Trumpeter 1/48 Type VIIC
« on: 18 Apr , 2017, 23:03 »
Greetings!

I just got this kit and so far I like it!  It is obviously very large and it appears to be very well detailed, particularly the interior.  It should be an impressive build right out of the box, but can obviously be super detailed especially with lighting for the interior.  I have not yet opened any of the many plastic bags, so far just a quick look at the parts and instructions.  Overall, my initial thoughts are very positive.  The general layout of the interior compartments appears to be accurate.

I did however notice a few things that might be worth mentioning.  First, the layout of the hull flooding vents seem to be the same as the !/72 Revell kit.  As such, I do not believe they are appropriate for U-552 or for any other Type VIIC.  A shame really, as drilling and filling will be required if accuracy is desired.  Something else that looks odd is the the conning tower / winter garden deck grating piece.  It is molded with circular holes - very strange.   Also, I think the anchor hawser position is wrong, like the Revell kit.  The periscope base on the tower is a bit simplified and lacks the compass.   I am sure there are other issues with accuracy that will come up later, but nothing horrible so far!

A final note is that the kit depicts an early VIIC with a net cutter, breakwater, no wind deflector, no antenna mast housing on the tower and slat style air intake grills.  This would seem to restrict the number of boats that can built from the kit.   I am not yet sure which boat I want to model, but the possibilities look limited right from the box.   

Cheers,

Bill

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: First Look - Trumpeter 1/48 Type VIIC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr , 2017, 01:09 »
Hi Bill,
welcome on Trumpeter's U-552 club.... :) ;) :D
In my opinion, Trumpeter had done a superb model, regarding the interiors, that allow to do a superdetailing work probably impossible for other models, as Revell's one...
Regarding the "exteriors" ( hull, connint tower, deck, etc ), the thing is very different: in my opinion the model is really a bad affair; the worse error is that one of making the aft part of the hull in one piece of transparent plastic, deck and port and starboard side of the hull in one piece: that means that everything you do on one side of the hull to correct the errors in flooding holes, and other stuff, it will be visible on the other part ( that thing is valid for the entire transparent starboard side of the hull ).
Another bad thing is the needs of painting with primer the transparent part of the hull to correct the errors ( operate any modification on transparent part is for me almost impossible...); at least the entire port side of the hull would be in grey plastic, and not partially transparent as in the model....
Also make the deck in one piece with hull is, in my opinion, a bad choice, that complicates the work of detailing with photoetching's parts...
The one thing that make me angry, is the fact that, despite the graet availability of articles and studies, Trumpeter repeated the same errors of Revell's model....
So, I'm enthusiast of the possibilities offered by superdetailing the interiors, but for other things, it will be a real nightmare...
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr , 2017, 08:40 »
Hello Filippo,

I agree with your comments.  I have the same thoughts about the kit, especially the clear hull and aft section.  It would be extremely difficult to make any corrections to the hull flooding vents without damaging the clear plastic.  I am not sure yet how I will proceed, but I may just accept the hull as it is and concentrate on the interior which appears to be very well done by Trumpeter. 

In reviewing some of the articles prepared by Dougie, it seems that there are very few early VIIC boats that can built from this kit right from the box.  Given the configuration of the kit I think that following boats can be built:  U69 - U72,  U93 - U98,  U-551 - U557 and U331.  So, as noted by Dougie, the popular boats U-69, U-96, and U-552 would be appropriate. 

Cheers,
Bill

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr , 2017, 23:24 »
Hi Bill,
when will you begin the building, and starting from which internal compartment ( or external hull ) ?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr , 2017, 09:42 »
Hello Filippo,

I will not be starting this kit until some of my other unfinished projects are completed first.  When I do start, I think the first thing I will do is construct a display case.  I also want to wait and see if some after market items become available before I start.

Cheers,

Bill

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr , 2017, 11:03 »
...I also want to wait and see if some after market items become available before I start.

Hi Bill,

Check out SRS (Small Rivets Studio) on Facebook for PE detail parts for the 1/48 Trumpeter kit.  SRS is operated by Boris Nakropin.

https://www.facebook.com/SmallRivets/
https://www.facebook.com/boris.nakropin

He makes AWESOME stuff, I have first-hand experience with their products in 1/72 scale.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr , 2017, 18:24 »
Many thanks Glenn!   That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Bill

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 04 Oct , 2017, 13:28 »
Hello folks,

Here is a two-part review on the Trumpeter kit. Part 1 is on the outside -

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4996:trumpeter-deutsches-u-boot-u-552-des-typs-viic-148&catid=69:tru

Part 1 is on the outside -

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4997:trumpeter-deutsches-u-boot-u-552-des-typs-viic-148-teil-2-innenboot&catid=69:tru

If a translation is requires, try copying the URL above and pasting into the box at -

https://translate.google.co.uk/

It is a very fair review, I think, and does discuss the similarities with the 72nd Revell kit. It also mentions quite a few issues which are, to say the least, disappointing. This includes the inaccurate vent pattern (it takes a few minutes searching online to find the pattern of U 552), the lack of options in regard to tower features, and how the breakwaters are moulded on. It is nice to see a reviewer who knows the subject very well and is able to make specific comments about the kit. If you are considering buying this kit then a read of this review is essential.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #8 on: 06 Oct , 2017, 08:25 »
Sadly, this supports my decision to NOT get this kit.   
It is too bad that Trumpeter did not exercise due diligence to create a more accurate model kit, particularly considering the wealth of information available.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 06 Oct , 2017, 08:41 »
Hi Dougie, hi Glenn,

thanks for the link. The above mentioned kit reviewer is Olaf Krabbenhöft. He is head of the model making department of the "Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg", IMO a real U-boat expert. I suppose he built some test shot of the Revell VII C and VIIC/41 (1/72).

Krabbenhöfts conclusion of Trumpeters kit ist that they scaled up a 1/72-er Revell VIIC for the outer hull. He identified the inner sections as the best part of the kit but also as a playground for the aftermarket.

Regards
falo

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct , 2017, 11:27 »
It seems that some people named "Olaf" really know their U-boats.  :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct , 2017, 13:37 »
Yes, modellers with this first name are members of the "U-boat Flotilla of Interchanged Characters"!

Best regards
aflo ;)