Author Topic: computer programs  (Read 4991 times)

Offline kurt

• Ensign
computer programs
« on: 07 May , 2012, 09:38 »
What is the simplest program that will take scans or internet images of plans, etc. and allow them to be rescaled and printed in the correct scale?

Kurt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: computer programs
« Reply #1 on: 14 May , 2012, 05:54 »
The human brain!

net images are usually 72 to 96 ppi (/dpi). A nice print level is at 300. So scaling can make them blobby, jaggy, and fuzzy.

I work in digital print. What sort of images? I can scale stuff for you.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: 15 May , 2012, 09:19 »
what I wanted to do is take a plan or drawing and size it correctly to 1/72 and print from my computer in that scale. Now I use my work computer and scale it using a proportional scale and ruler until I get it right.  I want to be able to make templates with them

Kurt

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: 15 May , 2012, 14:39 »
It a little harder to scale correctly with JPEG types of files, as I you need to know the DPI (Dots per inch) of the image and the DPI of the printing. You can found the image DPI in its properties and you can set the DPI of the printer. I believe you should be able to use any program to do this. However, if you the printing extend over the page edge you will next a program that can tile on numerous pages.

This is one of the reason why I put my drawings in to a PDF (Portable Document Format) format as Adobe Acrobat will auto scale the file for you.

Kurt, if you having problem let me know, and I maybe able to help you out in some way.

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: 15 May , 2012, 19:02 »
I was hoping to find a simple program that didn't cost and arm and a leg. Acrobat Standard is about $130 US. I wonder if I should get an autocad program, 2D or 3D? Do you have an actual physical build going on or is it virtual? Any help at all would be appreciated for sure.

Kurt

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: 15 May , 2012, 19:34 »
Kurt, I am totally sure you will be able to find a freeware program to do what you want. There are lots of very good and useful freeware program on the net.

I have no actual physical building going on, it all in the computer.

Kurt, do you have the images of the plans you want to rescaled? As it looks like either Rokket or I can rescaled the image for you. We would just need to know the format of the image.
« Last Edit: 15 May , 2012, 19:36 by NZSnowman »

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: 15 May , 2012, 19:58 »
Thanks for the offer to both you and Wink. TopherVIIC(Christopher) gave me an idea to play with. I just want to be able to make templates without runinng to the copy store or waiting to do it at work. It just seems such a simple task that it has to be available in freeware somewhere. I've always wanted to get a CAD program anyway, maybe this will be my excuse.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 16 May , 2012, 02:12 »
CAD is great, and there are some OK free and $50 ones, and areally nice range in TurboCAD...but those are vector programs that won't help too much, as you are working in an image or bitmap (specifically jpg. There are some trial packages that will roughly trace a jpg to CAD, but require a lot of cleanup.

I think a free image editor (photo image) program would do the trick for you. As Simon says, though, you need to check resolution and image size, and then it's just VERY simple math to scale. For example lets say in the hardcopy world you had a plan that was at 1:100 and you want to make it 1:72. Enlarge the image 138.88%. (100 / 72). A better way to "see" it is,  divide your target by your present size. If a sailor is 6foot tall in 1:1, what would he be in 1:72...  6x12inches = 72 inches divided by 72 (scale) = 1 inch tall (In metric that's 1828mm / 72 = 25.3mm). Or in 1:48 6ft = 1.5 inches (38.1mm).

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: 16 May , 2012, 05:42 »
I downloaded a program InfranView.  I don't know if either of you are familiar with it.  When I have some time I will have to play around with it and see what I can do with it.

Kurt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: 19 May , 2012, 18:09 »
I just had a look at the InfranView website, looks interesting. It's a viewer, but apparently allows an overlay of lines and some drawing, which could be just right for you. keep us posted, and if you need scaling, Simon and I are happy to do it.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr , 2014, 16:27 »
I use have used and will continue to use an older version of VueScan by Hamrick.com. One of the best programs out there for me. Lots of stuff you only need 1 key stroke. The other program that I use is photoshop. Don't really use to many other programs for pictures.

Later Tim

http://www.hamrick.com/

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun , 2018, 23:41 »
Unhappy to say the above hamrick program is not there anymore. A close program is irfan view 64 
Still learning how is use it as well as I did the old view print. 
Later Tim