Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 1008 times)

Offline 70skid

• Midshipman Cadet
Hello all
« on: 13 Nov , 2017, 14:44 »
Hello everyone,
This is Scott from Michigan  :)
Thanks to Glenn Cauley for turning me on to this fine site. Don't really think I'm worthy to rub shoulders with you fine folks but, oh well here I am =)
I like to model mainly WWII subs and German armor. I'll try to share a few photos in this post here but in case I blow it, all my builds can be found on my Insta at https://www.instagram.com/70skid/
I've got one big 1/72 VIIC under my belt and am currently working on another.
Other sub builds include a 1/200th Gato (USS Flier) and Tamiya's 1/350 I-400 IJN sub.
My current build depicts a sinking VIIC based loosely on the sinking of the U-625
Hello, and enjoy!!
Scott

Offline falo

• Admiral
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov , 2017, 23:44 »
Hello Scott,

welcome aboard and thanks for the pics. Great work especially the realistic water. The Gato diorama with the mines is a clever presentation.

Regards
falo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov , 2017, 00:22 »
Hi Scott,
wonderful works !!!
I like very much the weathering of the deck and hull surfaces.....: can you spend some words about your techiniques ?
Thanks in advance, and respect....
Filippo

Offline 70skid

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov , 2017, 05:05 »
Thank you guys! Sure Filippo.  Well, the deck is real wood (basswood I think) from Nautilis models.  My buddy Glenn Cauley turned me on to the finishes for that: Minwax stains colors Jacobean and Ebony.  I gave it a little bit of a dried saltwater look in spots with some very thinned white oil paint.
The hull:  The lower hull was given a coat of German gray as a base.  Then a very thin light coat of Tamiya  dark sea gray was airbrushed on and before it was allowed to sit too long, was wiped almost completely off with a wet rag.  The upper hull was given a light coat of Vallejo light gray.  Then I mixed in a little white to that color and airbrushed highlights in the middle of each hull plate.  I then rubbed here and there to give a little bit of wear to the paint sometimes allowing the primer below to show through (light grey).  Then, very thin layer of Tamiya flat white was airbrushed over that, with the use of some chipping fluid first.  Then moistened the paint with water and began gently flaking off the white paint here and there to give the look that you see here.

« Last Edit: 14 Nov , 2017, 05:09 by 70skid »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov , 2017, 06:12 »
Welcome, Scott!
Here you will find a wonderful group of very helpful people who are absolutely brilliant with all U-boat related stuff.
Judging by your previous models, you are in very good company... and we are lucky to have you here.

Cheers!
Glenn  :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr , 2018, 22:49 »
Nice work. Thanks for the sharing. Hope to see more.