Author Topic: "Das Boot" -> Remake?  (Read 7051 times)

Offline falo

• Admiral
"Das Boot" -> Remake?
« on: 29 Jun , 2015, 14:29 »
Hi Gents,

the german movie company "Bavaria"discusses a remake of "Das Boot".

According to the german website "Filmstarts" the "Bavaria" is owner of the movie rights. There are debates for a remake but they are not sure if they will producing a tv mini series or a movie for the big screen.

http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18494220.html

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/25/das-boot-german-studio-remake-underwater-thriller-wolfgang-peterson

Your thoughts?

Regards
falo

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: "Das Boot" -> Remake?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun , 2015, 02:33 »
WOW! WHY? I can't imagine any single part of the film to be one tiny bit better with a remake. What new things (deep, worthy) can be brought to the project?

They should leave it alone!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun , 2015, 04:20 »
Hi Rokket,

can't imagine it too. For example: my favourite movie is the "Third Man" (GB 1949), thinking about a remake of this outstanding film seem needless to me. Same thing with remaking "Das Boot". I fear that that there will be lots of CGI effects in the new movie.

Regards
falo

P.S.: Sorry for posting this topic in the wrong section and thanks for your help to fix that error.

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun , 2015, 19:12 »
I hope and pray they Don't remake Das Boot!  I agree with Falo that the movie will rely heavily on GCI special effects, with the actual story being second.  I wish the film makers would come up with some new material and leave our original classics alone!  You guys might not know it but the original screenplay was offered to Hollywood first but ey wanted to change it and thats why it was produced in Germany in the first place. Hollywood wanted to add scenes of survivors in lifeboats being shot at by the Uboat crew for example.  If this does go forward we should start a petition!
Regards,
Brian
« Last Edit: 30 Jun , 2015, 19:16 by VonStigler »

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul , 2015, 23:49 »
I would be against a remake, but I think a remastered version would be OK.  I also would not mind seeing a couple of CGI scenes. For example, replacing the T-6 Texan "antisubmarine plane" with a Catalina, or better yet a Sunderland. Or maybe those few distance shots of U-96 that you can tell are a model.
But other than that I think it should be left alone..

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jul , 2015, 23:48 »
I am in the mind to say "go for it".

If they can make Das Boot better, that will be great for us!

If the remake is awful… we still have the old version to watch :)

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jul , 2015, 15:28 »
Don't see how any cast could do even half as well as the originals. Something along the lines of Star Trek Remastered would be nice though, with state of the art special effects and still have the original cast..

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jul , 2015, 04:53 »
Hey. Don`t want to see a remake either. But what would be cool, was a tv-series of the Buchheims "Die Festung". Ist kind of a Sequel to "Das Boot". The story starts with U 96 returning from a journey and deals with Leutnant Werner/ Buchheim travelling through France and Germany in the days around d-day. Kind of like Band of Brothers meets Das Boot. The side-plot deals  with the defending of the "fortress" Brest. One of the main characters in these terms is "der Alte", the commander of U 96 being promoted to Flotillenchef.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jul , 2015, 05:02 »
...and there is also a long chapter of a boat with a snorkel trying to break trough the blocked harbour of Breast... ;)

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul , 2015, 04:11 »
@ Jan:
I suppose the Bavaria-Company has not the movie rights for Buchheims book "Die Festung". According to the newspaper articles it is an important cost factor to already own the rights for "Das Boot".

@ Snowman:
Viewed in this light it's a very pragmatic point of view.

Regards
falo

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul , 2015, 21:51 »
I like Capt Tucker's thinking. Beef up those little spots with new tech, not hurt the film at all. Empire Strikes Back - the really only good improvement in the FX redo was  Cloud City finally had windows and looked like a real city instead of small sets. It didn't detract but did what was originally intended. Fixing up the Catalina would be nice.

But don't remake it! Jan has a great idea

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun , 2016, 10:01 »
Hi Gents,

latest news for this thread, according to a german newspaper it won't be a remake of "Das Boot" but a TV-Mini series (8 episodes, each episode one hour long). Produced for the TV Channel Sky and Bavaria it will be broadcast in 2018, the mini series has a 25 million Euro budget. The series will be shown also in Austria, England, Italy and Ireland.

The story of the series starts with the end of the movie "The Boat" when the U boat was destroyed by air raid and sunk. So - as I said - its no remake but a resumption. Little is known about the story, according to Bavaria (one of the producers) the plot will be about "young men driven by blind fanatism to war" (citation Bavaria). The french Resistance and the Allies are also involved. So I suppose it's not the movie adaption of Buchheims "Die Festung" .

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/medien/das-boot-kehrt-als-sky-serie-zurueck-14303766.html

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 23 Jun , 2016, 11:29 by falo »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec , 2016, 21:47 »
Looks like the mini-series has got the green light
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/das-boot-mini-series-developing-sky-deutschland-network-1201692144/
I look forward to it. Hopefully it will be historically realistic and not overly fictional

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan , 2017, 21:44 »
Interesting..after - OK, I'll buy that

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia