Author Topic: G7a torpedo  (Read 6410 times)

RIP

G7a torpedo
« on: 17 Feb , 2009, 15:40 »
Waiting for brass deck and resin details I started to correct Schatton's G7a Torpedo.
Set includes "hull", brass sheet with rudder and paddles, two axles and distance ring (missed in my set!).
Paddles are unusable - torpedo details are totaly diffrent.

Museum picture:

Very nice G7a 3D renderings - details exact like on the photos and plans:

I've decided to make two 4-paddled screws from scrath (pictures tomorrow) and put my own dostance rings. For now (after assembly, before painitg) screws can rotate and looks good :)
What devices are in front of the torpedo - 4-winged something, ang smaller, 2-paddled something?

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: G7a torpedo
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb , 2009, 15:52 »
The 2 winged prop is for arming the torp, and 4 whiskers are detonators.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb , 2009, 16:05 »
I did these drawing last year, they may be useful.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb , 2009, 16:13 »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb , 2009, 00:37 »
Nice torp, and nice pix
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

RIP

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar , 2009, 16:06 »
First pictures - allmost done. Just a little of miliput needed for arming prop. and in the back.

http://picasaweb.google.pl/zabrotowicz/G7aTorpedo#

What are correct colours for this type of torpedo?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar , 2009, 22:39 »
Hi RIP

I believe yellow warhead were used for training. For live torpedoes they were unpainted, before greasing a light gray torpedo body & a darker gray on the tail section. After greasing with a dark transparent brown colouring.

RIP

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar , 2009, 06:40 »
Anatomy of the ship, page 19 - there is G7a picture. Torpedo looks unpainted - like on one of museal pictured I provided (aluminium or steel covered?). Warhead is dark - so it can be red.
I think I will make it "silver" with dark tail and red warhead.

Propeller on many pictures look's to be 5 bladed - but It's too late to fix it ;) Maybe there were propellers with 4 blades too...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar , 2009, 17:15 »
Pix look great, nice work.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec , 2011, 12:59 »
First pictures - allmost done. Just a little of miliput needed for arming prop. and in the back.
Nice model and details for such a small scale. Just a comment on the warhead which have two "grooves" on the front. This is wrong (I suspect you might have seen a picture of a type 1225 exercisehead, as those would correspond with the dual blowing-mechanism..?).

What are correct colours for this type of torpedo?
Warhead is dark - so it can be red.
I think I will make it "silver" with dark tail and red warhead.
I believe yellow warhead were used for training. For live torpedoes they were unpainted, before greasing a light gray torpedo body & a darker gray on the tail section. After greasing with a dark transparent brown colouring.
Sorry, but you got this wrong...

German G7a (and G7e) torpedoes were made of steel (later, experimental, ingolin torpedoes were made of aluminium). The torpedoes were in general unpainted (ie: models should show a metallic steel finish). Early production G7a's had a nickel-plated the afterbody (ie: a chrome-finish).

Paint would have been used to identify certain variations of torpedoes though (two thin vertical green stripes on the rudder to identify LUT II-equipped T1 or T3, and green painted fields on the aft-section + covering the "S.S." marking on the T1's speed-regulator" to indicate a torpedo without starting-gear and/or a strenghtend engine).

German exerciseheads were painted red and white (horisontal stripes). Warheads were painted grey (some variations to the shade - mostly light, but the T5/T11 torpedoes would have a darker shade). Heads were manufactured from steel or bronze. The latter would sometimes have been unpainted.

As pointed out in previous post, grease was used for lubrication and corrosion-protection, and variants of brown colour would be correct to simulate this on a model.

Propeller on many pictures look's to be 5 bladed - but It's too late to fix it ;) Maybe there were propellers with 4 blades too...
Early versions of G7a had 4-blade propellors, but 6-blades was the standard (the G7e had 2 blades, but of course they also didn't have the sturdy "whitehead-tail" of the G7a).

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec , 2011, 13:08 »
Museum picture:
Just a heads-up regarding museums: Most musuems shows a very rich "fantasy" in their decision of colours, and in general you should really not rely on what you see there!

The steel of german torpedoes will start to corrode very easy with any exposure to humidity, and most torpedoes displayed outside will have to be painted to be preserved, although this was of course not the case during the war!

Also, you should keep in mind that especially the G7a torpedo was used for many years after the war by several navies (Germany, Denmark, Norway etc.), and different measures was taken regarding the preservation of the torpedoes being kept in readiness or for continous exercise-usage (remember, the torpedo was not designed to "last" for 60 years - Norway retired their last G7a in 1999...).
Most torpedoes on display at museums have seen post-war usage, and subseqently may have the paint/colour from that usage, not the original german WW2 standard (for example: bundesmarine painted their G7a torpedoes blue, and the blue torpedoes you see on display in german museums are donations from the bundesmarine after they retired the G7a).

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun , 2012, 11:35 »