Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572910 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3750 on: 08 Aug , 2017, 05:21 »
I just read about Maciek, and am shocked and deeply sad. The Forum has lost a precious source of information, a most fine researcher, one of its cornerstones in fact. He seemed to know every single part of a Uboat, and he was always available to provide information, even the apparently unanswerable information, for the ones in need. A major blow to the Uboat enthusiasts worldwide and to my morale. But, as Don said, we'll catch up with him sooner or later and will have the most pleasant technical conversations about uboats in those vast oceans up there somewhere, i have still a lot of unanswered questions to ask.
Farewell Maciek, you will be greatly missed!

« Last Edit: 10 Aug , 2017, 09:47 by SG »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3751 on: 08 Aug , 2017, 08:29 »

Don.
I guess it would probably be easier to have a look at plate 14 and 9 simultaneously as plate 14 only indicate inlet and outlet of the fuelling and lubeoil supply. I have tried to combine the two on my image below. You`ll see that both  hose connections for fuelling inlet and lube oil supply are situated almost at the top of the pressurehull eg nearly at the center. Contrary to my memory the downpipe and strainer for the lubeoil supply is on the port side of the engine room front door whereas the fuelling pipe is on the starboard side going under the floorplates to the strainer before crossover to the distribution valvebox.
Hopefully the image is selfexplanatory.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3752 on: 08 Aug , 2017, 20:41 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Thank you for the quick response about re-supplying the lube oil and the fuel oil to a U-Boat Type VII C.

I have made changes to the following pages: 123, 151, 171, 178, and 243 (replaced a photo). I changed these pages with new 3D images from Simon who has done outstanding work! The latest version of Skizzenbuch has been uploaded to Dropbox...

Mr. Tore - Your wife has been with you for over 50 years, and she deserves your full attention! Keep focused on the most important relationship in your life, and the rest will fall into place...

Kind regards,
Don_ 
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3753 on: 09 Aug , 2017, 00:53 »
Don, we are just on the way to the high mountain theater raining and temperatures hoovering around 8 centigrade, open air theater for 6 hours and 3 hours driving. Indeed my wife deserves the effort, we actually married in 1953 when I still was the chief of U 995 KNM Kaura and got a week off for marrying. Reverting in a small week.
Tore

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3754 on: 15 Aug , 2017, 04:42 »
Hello all. Just came back from my vacation and learned this terrible news :(   

I sitting here shocked, i had a few conversation bits with him and he was clearly a fantastic person. I have spent countless of hours on his websites and reading his input on this forum.
A really valuable, friendly and open community member.

R.I.P Maciek.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug , 2017, 04:44 by karel »

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #3755 on: 16 Aug , 2017, 13:13 »
Rip Maciek      :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3756 on: 17 Aug , 2017, 23:07 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have been reviewing the bow hydroplane clutch and drive mechanism; How does this drawing look to you?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 17 Aug , 2017, 23:55 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3757 on: 18 Aug , 2017, 03:11 »
Don
Exellent images. I guess it shows the arrangement of the old VIICs The latest executions did not have the atwartship shaft going right to the hydroplanguard and the shaft ended in a nut fixing halfway on the plane having an accesshatch right on the top where the nut was situated. As far as I remember the void space of the plane was filled with some sort of epoxy or recine. There was no contact between the hydroplane and the guard.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3758 on: 18 Aug , 2017, 22:50 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Here is my 2nd attempt at the drawing...  What do you think? Also I found a photo that shows a hydroplane removed...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 18 Aug , 2017, 22:52 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3759 on: 19 Aug , 2017, 00:56 »
Don.
Again excellent images, the hydroplanes are fixed by a nut, not bolt. I remember once being submerged the fwd. hydroplane operator had trouble operating his hydroplane which according to him did not respond and the hydroplane seemed to be locked in a down position. When I crawled in to the narrow space i discovered that the mechanical connection from the motordrive to the transmitter for the resistive network was broken and the electric indicator in the controlroom showed full up whereas the plane was full down. Otherwise your images shows one of the drawbacks of mechanical operations, the numerous greasing points required.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3760 on: 19 Aug , 2017, 16:41 »
Hello Mr. Tore and all,

I updated pages 194 - 198 and uploaded Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M + I.PDF into my Dropbox folder...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3761 on: 19 Aug , 2017, 19:53 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

After doing a little more research...  It looks like David Westdood's book "Anatomy Of The Ship - The Type VII U-Boat" the forward and aft hydroplane drive motors are a hydraulic type motor.  I could see this type of motor because the hydroplane arm comes up against a metal stopper. Therefore, I would assume that the dual rudder motor is also an hydraulic motor as well...

However, there is nothing in the German Plans 1 thru 34 to indicate electric or hydraulic motors driving/controlling the hydroplanes or the dual rudders.

I checked the electrical plans for the Type VII and Plan 10 shows electric motors.

Could David Westwood's book be wrong?

What do you think?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 19 Aug , 2017, 20:50 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3762 on: 19 Aug , 2017, 22:30 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I think definitely electric motors...  I was wondering if they had stall motors when the planes reached their limit - I found out there were 'Limit Switches" for all three planes and rudders.  I have attached the translated drawing...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 19 Aug , 2017, 23:24 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3763 on: 20 Aug , 2017, 00:26 »
Don.
Hydraulic operation of the hydroplanes ,and rudders, were the most common systems for submarines in my time, and I remember coming back from my submarine education in UK and onboard a VIIc, the most stricking exstensive differerence was the use of electric driven hydroplanes and rudders. You are right in your assumption both hydroplanes and rudders were electrically operated on the VIICs.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug , 2017, 00:36 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3764 on: 09 Sep , 2017, 12:30 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

When will you be leaving your country home and heading back to the city? From your description, it looks like the fall and winter months at the country home location will get very cold and tons of snow...

Here in sunny Georgia, my summer project in 90 degrees plus weather was to re-do my back yard hillside. The builder placed burlap covering on the hillside which rotted away within 2 years and allowed the weeds to grow around the plants. So, I stapled down a heavy fiber covering to prevent erosion and to stop the weeds from growing. I built a 150 foot stone retaining wall, and had a contractor to place Railroad Ties on the upper part of the hillside, and red mulch covering the hillside area.

This project took about 2 months and I told my wife Maureen that my "Honey Does" were all used up for this year...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 09 Sep , 2017, 16:39 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD