Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 573909 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #525 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 02:20 »
Simon
Starting air vessel for GW engines. Below is the starting air supplysystem for the GW engine, not much difference.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:53 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #526 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 03:40 »
Air starting system.
The startingsystem of the GW engine might look a bit complicated, but is relatively simple compaired to the reversingmechanism. Below is an isometric drawing of the system. The starting airvalve on each cylindercover is operated by a pushrod from the camshaft. The pushrod is normally kept free from the camshaft by a spring, it is the only rod on the Laboe U 995 engine which is not painted blue, originally it was not painted at all. When the  main air startingvalve ( red wheel ) is opened pressureair is admitted to a chamber with piston ( slide) in the startingvalve on the cylindercover and forces the rod down against the springpressure to the camshaft. When the maneuvre startinghandle on the manuevrestand is put to start position, air is admitted to the cylinder startingvalve air chamber and that valve which is opened by the camshaft admit the air to the cylinder and the engine start turning by air. When the engine obtain sufficient revs. fuel is admitted to the fuelvalves and the engine is running. Then the startinghandle is put on run position, the  main airvalve is shut the air is relieved and the starting air valve in the cylindercover is raised free from the camshaft by the spring.
Tore
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2012, 03:53 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #527 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 07:19 »
Simon.
As a more detailed explanation I `m posting a drawing showing the difference between the MAN and GW starting air supply. Basically as previously said they are the same. The main difference is that the GW engines is charging the starting airvessel via one reducingvalve 205-30 atm and thus don`t require further reducingvalves on the engine.
MAN is charging the airvessel via an air reducing valve 205-75 atm and require a second reducingvalve 75-30 atm after the main starting airvalve on the engine. You shall find quite a lot of further differences when you make you dorsal drawing so I guess you have to stick to one enginemakes  and matching you pipesystems, so far it seems you have chosen GW engines and of course the GW pipesystem should be chosen.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #528 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 16:38 »
Simon
It seems right to me. Knowing you love tiny details, the shaft for the forked end of the pushrod is protruding slightly out of the rockerarm on both sides, this to accommodate a small grove where you have a spring lockingring you know the type having a split fitted with a set of pliers. On the other side of the rockerarm on the top of the valvespindle is a special pressuredisc fixed by a nut locked by wire. Se picture below.
Tore..

Hi Tore

Thanks for the information :)

I did noted the spring locking ring and added this to the drawing. I don't think you will see it at 1:32 scale in the drawing but if anyone ask me I can say it there ;D ;D

I am going to work on the other end of the rocker arm on Wednesday, I am going ski touring tomorrow as I went to collect some avalanche and snow data.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #529 on: 29 Oct , 2012, 00:15 »
Simon.
Thought you was satisfied with snow for this year, we had our first snowfall for the season this morning, even way down in the lowland. I have to brace for the winter putting on the wintertyres with studs. Looking forward to se your drawing of the engine topview it`s a lot of stuff cramped on to the cylindercover. 
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #532 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 02:40 »
I think you right, I am sure the Germans keep this valve simple. We just need a few more good photo

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #533 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 03:30 »
Hi Gents

A little bit off-topic - I have found following (another) panorama - I think you will like it:
http://www.360cities.net/image/submarine-u-995-and-navy-memorial#328.70,-5.00,75.0

Maciek
Absolutely gourgeous! This shall answer a lot of questions here we have a tool to solve a lot of our mysteries.
 Well done.
Tore

Just to remind another U-995 virtual tours:
http://www.deutschland-panorama.de/museen/laboe_technisches_museum/index.php
http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=5373&p=i

And in the end, virtual tours around other U-Boats:
Wilhelm Bauer (Ex U-2540): http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=4602&p=
U-505: http://archive.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/virtualtour/index.html
Vesikko: http://www.360cities.net/image/wwii-nazi-submarine-exterior#338.20,0.90,88.3
http://www.kolumbus.fi/mika.ajomaa/Panorama_2.html

--
Regards
Maciek

« Last Edit: 31 Oct , 2012, 06:16 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #534 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 03:37 »
I think you right, I am sure the Germans keep this valve simple. We just need a few more good photo
« Last Edit: 31 Oct , 2012, 03:56 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #535 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
Tore, how does this look?

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)
« Last Edit: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:40 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #536 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 13:39 »
I have no photo's of the base, so this is that I think.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #537 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 15:24 »
Simon
Very detailed and high standard. I believe the top nut has a split ( it is a kind of a nut not intergratet in the valvedisc) and that the valvecage boltdown is bit different in order to accommodate the valverocker pedestall. If you look into the main engine page of  u historia you shall find a very good photo of the valvecage and pedestall.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #538 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 15:39 »
Simon further to my last post. The u historia- Technica-Visita Guiada-Sala Diesel-Culata. The Culata photo shows the valvecage with coolingwaterpipes and valvespindle lubeoil pipeconnection and well as the valverockerpedestal (support) very clearly and would for sure help you.
Tore
« Last Edit: 31 Oct , 2012, 15:42 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #539 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 16:52 »
Tore, I am not 100% sure which nut you are talking about "top nut has a split"