Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 236512 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #120 on: 17 Nov , 2008, 05:49 »
Check on my U-625 site... I used super-thin black nylon #000 Gutermann thread for that.  Glues nicely from what I remember.  Should be available at any fabric shop.  If you cannot find it, drop me an e-mail and I can mail you some.  I have a whole roll here that'll take 20 lifetimes to use up!

And where can I get this "Koki paste" stuff?    I've heard great things about it.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #121 on: 17 Nov , 2008, 06:52 »
I'm eager to see the continuation of the bowplane cable tensioner assembly.
I'm curious... the things you just made... are they the "self-adjusting tensioners"  that have a heavy spring inside? 
(They do not look like normal manually-adjustable cable tensioners like I made for U-625.)

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #122 on: 17 Nov , 2008, 12:34 »
I'm eager to see the continuation of the bowplane cable tensioner assembly.
I'm curious... the things you just made... are they the "self-adjusting tensioners"  that have a heavy spring inside? 
(They do not look like normal manually-adjustable cable tensioners like I made for U-625.)

Glenn- ive seen your tensioners on the U-625- the hook type on the conning tower. I could not get the reference regarding the bowplane tensioners assembly anywhere on the net, apart from few scetchy drawings, and one, or 2 fuzzy pictures- where to be honest with you all you can see is that the cable is there, but how it is all made is not clear.
I was guided by picture of the Glen Buckners boat:

I was trying to replicate what hes done there.
Am i right or wrong? Is there fotografic evidence how the part looked like?

Regarding the thread i just discovered the EZ line- aparently best thing for that purpose. Aircraft modellers use it for years, and the reviews are optimistic.
http://misc.kitreview.com/tools/ezlinereviewbg_1.htm

Koki paste. Now this is the dady if soldering is required. I got on it through my polish friends from PWM modeling forum. It is not easy to find in England, and i got mine shipped from stockist in Poland. It is made in Japan.
This is the stuff:
http://www.techgsm.at/Solder_paste_for_SMD_KOKI_40g,3937.html
Im sure you can find the stockist near you. Soldering never looked so easy. Combined with Dremel soldering iron produces amazing results- just look at my railings:

I just love this forum. At last im in the company of somilarly minded people.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: 17 Nov , 2008, 15:42 »
Hi guys,

We could do with better photos of the tensioner wire, that's for sure. One of the best shots of the wire is on page 27 of Wiper's pictorial.

The best shot I've seen of the connecting piece (connecting the wire to pressure hull) is on U 69 at the start of Westwood's Anatomy book. The piece is roughly triangular in shape. This photo shows U 69 before launching. The tensioner wire itself hadn't been added at this stage.

Siara, I see that some of your railing stanchions are thicker than the rest. This is correct, of course. But I'm impressed you got them right as most do all the stanchions the same thickness. Well done!

The WEM lycra is fantastic for rigging warships in really small scales. But yeah, it is way too thin for 72nd scale.

I like the look of the Guetermann stuff, Glenn. What diameter did you use?

Probably the hardest thing about the Revell kit is getting the insulators and jumping wires looking right. They are pesky little buggers. I remember trying to scratch build a set for the old Amati 72nd U 47. A very frustrating few hours, I may add!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #124 on: 17 Nov , 2008, 18:35 »
Yup, I just looked at those pics... I have both books right here!  The mount for the hull end of that bowplane support cable looks similar to the type of triangular bracket on the tower railings. Triangular with an upper and lower plate.

Also of note on page 27 of the Warship Pictorial book... the rivet double-row along the forward edge of the bow all the way from the top to the bottom.  The Revell kit only has the curved double-row of rivets at the front top edge where the pattern curves around the tip of the bow... but is missing that it goes all the way down. That, and the "cleft" in the upper curved tip of the bow.  Time to get my file out.

On Westwood's book... first picture of U-69  (U-99)... look at the size/shape of the hatches at the top of the port saddletank. They look round and indented alot, just like Wink's model... not like the oval-shaped covers included in some PE sets.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #125 on: 18 Nov , 2008, 00:28 »
Quote from: GlennCauley
Yup, I just looked at those pics... I have both books right here!  The mount for the hull end of that bowplane support cable looks similar to the type of triangular bracket on the tower railings. Triangular with an upper and lower plate.
Thanks- i will make new brackets. Can you post the scan of the pic in mention for reference please- i dont own that book unfortunately.
Also of note on page 27 of the Warship Pictorial book... the rivet double-row along the forward edge of the bow all the way from the top to the bottom.  The Revell kit only has the curved double-row of rivets at the front top edge where the pattern curves around the tip of the bow... but is missing that it goes all the way down. That, and the "cleft" in the upper curved tip of the bow.  Time to get my file out.
I got that one figured out long ago.  ;D
On Westwood's book... first picture of U-69  (U-99)... look at the size/shape of the hatches at the top of the port saddletank. They look round and indented alot, just like Wink's model... not like the oval-shaped covers included in some PE sets.
Im happy with the way my hatches turned out. Looking at reference pictures of the real boats there probably is more than 1 design of the hatches out there. I came to the conclusion, that it depends of the yard where the boat was build. Some are oval with tightening nuts running round the edge, some are round with 3 nuts running vertical through the midle. ???

Fantastic topic type VII dont you think? ;)

BTW: That should cheer you all up:
« Last Edit: 18 Nov , 2008, 00:42 by Siara »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #126 on: 18 Nov , 2008, 23:49 »
EZ Line - I bought a test piece, it's interesting stuff, it glues with CA. I ended up with non-hairy thread, but I almost continued with EZ. It is stretchy and comes in some nice thin dia.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: 19 Nov , 2008, 11:44 »
Hi guys,

Ah, the inpection cover shape debate! I'd say Wink was definitely right to make his U 557 covers more round in shape. And yes, I'd agree that there was probably variances in the shape of the covers, with some rounder than others.

We know from the U 69 photos that the ones on this boat were oval (though they may have been close being round in shape). The reason is that you can see the different orientation of the covers. The front two, and the last one (closest the stern) were aligned perpedicular to the length of the boat. The 3rd and 4th holes from the front were aligned on the same orientation as the length of the boat. As we can tell there was orientation they must have been oval rather than round.

As to whether the U 69 ones were like the Modelbrass ones or Wink's model...probably closer to Wink's?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #128 on: 20 Nov , 2008, 12:44 »
I decided to make the new brackets for the fasteners.

1mm wire was soldered to the back of the brackets to give it strength when mounted:

With the screw:

Small hole was drilled in the right place:

Glued in:

After it cured i applied slight pressure with hot soldering iron to sink the brackets in flush with the p. hull.

TBC...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #129 on: 21 Nov , 2008, 01:32 »
EXCELLENT bracket, very crisp and real looking!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #130 on: 26 Nov , 2008, 15:09 »
Thanks Rokket. ;)

Unfortunately im running round in circles again. Not for the first time, and not the last. Thats the beauty of this build.  ;D

Saddle tanks vents. This is what ive made:

...and this is what the vents should look like:

Vents gone, and filled in with Miliput:

Green filler applied:

New vents. Not much different to what revell had in offer. Well....live and learn. :D

TBC...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #131 on: 27 Nov , 2008, 00:24 »
Ya, its always a tough choice about what to replace, and sometimes you find out the replacement isn't much different. But then, other times it is waaaay better. Overall, your efforts have been just right with outstanding results!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #132 on: 29 Nov , 2008, 11:26 »
Stern section.

Rudder and stern planes.

It is only dry fitted, now i will dismantle it, and sand the filler, add detail, welds and rivwts. Brass screws will complete the set up.

TBC...

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #133 on: 30 Nov , 2008, 13:53 »
Some detail on the stern dive planes as seen on U-995.

TBC...

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #134 on: 01 Dec , 2008, 11:33 »
Minor modification- ive changed the little weld for the wire bracket, after closer look at the pictures of the U-995.

I used the 0,2 mm copper wire, flettened by rolling, and super glued it to the plane.

TBC...