Author Topic: Type VII - Schnorchel Placement  (Read 22992 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Type VII - Schnorchel Placement
« on: 30 Jan , 2009, 15:46 »
While drawing the piping for the schnorchel, I couldn

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Type VII - Schnorchel Placement
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 16:30 »
Hi Simon,

Interesting point this. I think the U 995 snort is in the correct place - when it is raised it fits nicely into the clamp on the tower. The clamp looks to be in the correct place on the tower too?

The U 995 deck was completely rebuilt at the start of the 1970's. I don't think they built the wooden boards around the snort correctly, which is why you see errors when comparing with wartime shots. To confuse a bit more, I think the new deck they had in 1971 isn't the deck they have now. There are some differences. But both the 1971 deck and the 2009 deck aren't quite as they should be around the snort when compared with wartime shots.

U 995 is a nightmare - it didn't even have a lower wintergarten after Norwegian service. So much had changed on this boat over the years.

Always go for period shots if you can. :)

Cheers,

Dougie 

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 19:21 »
Hi Dougie. I think you right about the snort is in the correct position and wooden boards around the snort is incorrect :) They much had made the deck a little narrower here (approximately 30cm - I think :o). This could had happen when they replace the steel plates in this section.

Thanks for the information and help ;D I always happyer to be able to sort out little things that we found. I hate the not knowing :(

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 13:14 »
I think the explanation is easier:

they just did't cover that much of the cylinder on 995 than one sees in the wartime shots.
in the top view from 995 you see a lot of free space lateral of the cylinder; there are just a few planks mnissing...........
« Last Edit: 02 Apr , 2009, 04:06 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb , 2009, 23:46 »
side note - very nice dwgs
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov , 2010, 13:18 »
Below is poof that there is not enough space on the port side of the schnorchel. The pipe just ends on the edge of the deck :(

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan , 2012, 14:44 »
While doing some more research on the Schnorchel today, I came acoress this:

"Raising and lowering are controlled by hand wheels in the control room which activate a hydraulic mechanism.  One hand-wheel is turned to "Open" for raising; when the schnorchel is to be lowered, this wheel must be on "Closed" and the other wheel turned to "Open""

From the NAVY DEPARTMENT OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS WASHINGTON Final Report - G/Serial 32 REPORT ON THE INTERROGATION OF SURVIVORS FROM U-575 SUNK 13 MARCH 1944 http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-575INT.htm

I was able to location the two 'Hand wheel' on U-995 ;D

http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=5379

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan , 2012, 02:05 »
Hi Simon
I was able to location the two 'Hand wheel' on U-995 ;D

Right you are. These wheels are for valves of the Schnorchel rising and lowering hydraulic gear. The actuating piston for this gear is connected to the hydraulic system for the periscopes hoists.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan , 2012, 05:38 »
I just happened to stumble over your question on the snort piping and migth be able to help you. I was the engineering officer on the submarine R.Nor S "Kaura" (Ex. U 995) 1953-1954 while she was in the Royal Norwegian Navy  (I`m 83 year old) and I`m sorry that your pipingdrawing is sligthly incorrect as the pipebend was not  inside the casing but, protruding through the casingside on the top of the saddeltank. U 995  had a different snort mast with a newer electropneumatic shut off float (german Ringschwimmer) and a radardetector on the top just installed at the end of the war March 1945. You migth find the drawing on the net. I just realize that your photo no 5 shows the bend it`s the "lump", just above the saddetank under the gangway. I`am deligthed again to be a midshipman some 59 years after I graduated from the Naval Academy!
regards Tore Berg-Nielsen ltncmd (E) rtd R Nor Navy     
« Last Edit: 22 Jan , 2012, 11:03 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan , 2012, 07:24 »
Ltncmd. Berg-Nielsen -
Welcome! You are going to be a most welcome addition to our family!
Christopher E-5 U.S.M.C.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan , 2012, 07:36 by TopherVIIC »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan , 2012, 12:01 »
Welcome aboard Tore

Thank you for you help and information. It is great to get it first hand  :) I am sure there will be lots of questions we would love to ask you about HNoMS Kaura if you have the time. With more research and time I was able to update my drawing on the piping, below is an updated one for you. The pink line is the deck outline.

Again thanks & welcome!

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan , 2012, 16:37 »
I also welcome you aboard, Tore.

I would have a lot of questions about U-995 and would be very happy, if you had time
to share with us your knowledge.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan , 2012, 06:05 »
Thanks for all the welcomegreetings and NZSnowman your corrected drawing is now excellent. For some reason most modelbuilders have not got the detail of the snortpipebend together with the 3 different versions of the snortmast lockingpin. May be it is because for some reason have omitted these details on the Laboeversion of the U 995.  For those of you who migth be interested, we had in operation 4 ex german subs in the Norwegian Navy ( don`t ask me how we got them). They were KNM Kaura (ex U 995  VIIC/41 Built Blohm & Voss, Hamburg 07. 1943), KNM Kya (ex U 926 VIIC built Neptun Werft Rostock AG 12. 1943), KNM Kinn  (ex U 1202 VIIC built F.Schichau Werft Danzig 11.1943) and KNM Knerten (ex U 4706 XXIII built Germaniawerft Kiel 01. 1945). The 3 first were in service till the years of 1960 whereas the small XXIII type was faced out after a short service, she had a snortmast intergrated in the originaldesign. I was the EO of KNM Kaura and later KNM Kya.
Hope you don`t get bored of an old submariners chatter.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan , 2012, 08:14 »
Hope you don`t get bored of an old submariners chatter.
Tore -
I am sure you can talk about anything, and you would have at least 60 people here, alone, or collectively, that would buy you breakfast to hear the stories! You have already given us much information that is new and highly useful! Thank you!
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan , 2012, 10:05 »
Tore

Thanks for the kind words about the drawing. Have you seen my other drawing of the snort piping. And I did not realise about the any ex U-boat.

Simon

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=854.0