Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 513407 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #945 on: 29 May , 2011, 04:42 »
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the images :) There is no doubt with that U 765 image, it is all the proof one needs for the UZO being port of centre on this boat. Note unusual features - the three movable windscreens and extended handrails near the top of the bulwark.

With the Koehl and Niestle plans, and the U 995 image, both being to port, then you have your answer for drawing your VIIC/41.

The VIIBs were dead centre and boats like U 552 and U 564 (I think) like they were centre too. I wonder when the change was made to port?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #946 on: 03 Jun , 2011, 21:08 »

A 1

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #947 on: 04 Jun , 2011, 12:55 »
my gosh :D

i once tried to play SH3, and i got lost on my 19" laptop in all those functions, so im afraid to think what would happen to me on this monster set up:D

however, for drawing, this must be a heaven for you, i know that at my work i have 2x23 LEDs, and sometimes is still too small workspace ::)

regards
Marko

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #948 on: 05 Jun , 2011, 16:12 »
For the third seasons the large iron gates of the shipyard are locked for the winter and the boatyard is closed. Again the dockworkers look back over the work for the last six months on U-1308. They finish the ribbing, framing, pressure hull and casting of U-1308. They install the Direction Finder Antenna Loop, the FuMO-61 Hohentwiel U radar, the FuMB-9 Wanze and FuMB-35 Athos. They also nearly finish the piping under the decking, and putting in the torpedo tubes.

Again thanks everyone for your help, for the photographs and information with my drawing. I will still found a little bit of free time to check the boards over the next few months.

Wish you all the best for your summer or winter.
Happy modelling, Simon.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #949 on: 08 Jun , 2011, 04:16 »
good luck and we wait for the shipyard reopening!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #950 on: 28 Jun , 2011, 13:44 »
Hi Dougie or anyone.

On Turm IV, we know that the upper and lower wintergarten deck was wood, was the bridge deck, wood or steel ???

Thanks, Simon.

On the Revell VII C/41, it's the turm IV and the bridge deck is most definitely depicted to be wood.  If you look closely you can see where the beams cross underneath the wood, which would of course been no more than a scaffolding on top of the actual CT of the PH.

It makes sense that the bridge deck would have been wood for the same reasons that they made the sea decks and wintergarten decks wood - it's MUCH less likely to be slippery when wet and it would be less apt to build up ice on northern patrols too.  Anybody who's ever been on the ocean REALLY appreciates wood decks, they're so much better than metal (or fibreglass) that even battleships had wood decks and the most traveled parts of destroyer decks were wood too.  Harder to build than steel, but better.

A lesser reason might be that a wood deck wasn't as heavy as a steel deck and so the U-boat wouldn't roll as much on the surface, and a lesser reason during wartime is that it would save on metal, but I doubt if that would make much difference over the amount of metal on a whole boat.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #951 on: 05 Jul , 2011, 21:22 »
I was wondering if anyone has any war time pictures of the electric motors on the Type VIIC

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #952 on: 09 Jul , 2011, 17:58 »
could be a tall order!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #953 on: 26 Jul , 2011, 15:27 »
Below are two photographs of U-352, from National Geographic. In the top image you can see several large pipes in the saddle tank and outside the pressure hull. Dougie, Maciek or anyone, does anyone have any idea that the pipes are for?

Fig. 1. A close-up view of the saddle tank, where you can see several large pipes.

Fig. 2. A overview of the saddle tank and conning tower casting.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #954 on: 02 Aug , 2011, 03:05 »
Hi Simon

Great find!

Dougie, Maciek or anyone, does anyone have any idea that the pipes are for?

With letters A and B I have marked the driving gears for flood valves of the the Main Ballast and Reserve Fuel Oil Tank 4 port
The operating shafts are going through the pressure hull to the control room and are located here:

Similar at the stb side:

General arrangements:

(source: http://uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate28.htm)

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #955 on: 02 Aug , 2011, 03:15 »

The thick pipe marked with letter C I believe is a sounding pipe as marjked here:

(source: http://uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate8A.htm)

The thinner pipe marked with letter D is hard to figure out.
I think it can be water compensating line:

(source: http://uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate10T.jpg

But according to the "FUEL OIL STOWAGE AND EQUIPMENT" chapter in the type IXC study (http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm):
The compensating lines to the individual fuel ballast tanks run directly to the bottom of the tank while the line for the outboard normal fuel tanks leads into the small salt water niche (1.5% of fuel tank's volume) in the bottom of the tank; a line then leads from the top of the niche to the bottom of the fuel tank.

it looks as it is located to high.

It can be also exhaust gas blowing line:

(source: http://uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate16.htm

but it in the turn looks located to low.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #956 on: 05 Aug , 2011, 20:33 »
Thanks Maciek!!!

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #957 on: 12 Aug , 2011, 03:20 »
Hi Gentlemen

With letters A and B I have marked the driving gears for flood valves of the the Main Ballast and Reserve Fuel Oil Tank 4 port

I have encountered interesting text related to the topic:

Es mu
« Last Edit: 12 Aug , 2011, 05:22 by SnakeDoc »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #958 on: 13 Aug , 2011, 18:55 »
wow, love to hear about stuff like that. I can imagine trying not to lose the bolts at sea, or slide off the curve of the tank and into the sea... I'm reminded of the scene in the 1940s story A Christmas Stury. Little Ralphie helps his dad change a tire, at night, in the snow.  They put the nuts in the upside-down hub cap, but Ralphie bumps it, and the nuts go flying. Ralphie screams "FU...DGE!" and the older-Ralphie narrating says..."only that's not what I said..." he gets his mouth washed out with soap when they get home. As hard as it was recovering nuts in snow (the story is loosely based on the author's real life in the 40s) I guess there would be no chance of recovering the bolts in the ocean!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #959 on: 14 Aug , 2011, 02:12 »
Being a plant mechanic, I know exactly what he was going on about. That moment when you are spinning off a nut and it reaches the end of the thread earlier than you thought and in a second, its fallen away into the depths of an engine bay, or worse. :-[ Imagine if hed lost a bolt or nut. The whole subs integrity would have been comprimised. It might not be able to submerge because of leaks. Doesnt bear thinking about, the pressure on his shoulders.

Jawohl herr Kaleun!