Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512140 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #810 on: 18 Jan , 2011, 11:27 »
Thanks, Pat. That sound great. Can you rememeber the name of the program? I would be kind to watch it if it comes to New Zealand.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #811 on: 20 Jan , 2011, 14:39 »
I found a Norwegian label on a small box attached to the torpedo tube, I am trying to translate it back to German. Does this look right below, to our German specking members.

Norwegian

Baughette

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #812 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 05:02 »
Hi Simon

Does tube II & IV drain into Compensating Tank 2 and tube I & III drain into Compensating Tank 3?

In the first approach is seems so:

(source: http://uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate7.htm)

But in Design Study for Type IXC (http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm)
in chapters "9C-S49 COMPRESSED AIR PLANT" and "9C-S88 DAMAGE CONTROL"
I have read:

40.  The two torpedo low pressure manifolds are each provided with a connection for pneumatic tools.
a line to the marker buoy stowage, and a line to the group of valves which control the flooding, blowing
and draining of the torpedo tubes.  This last group of valves, for each tube, consists of a stop valve, a relief
valve and pressure gauge, a four-way cock which admits air to the torpedo tube on the WRT tank while
venting the other one of the pair, and a three-way cock to permit selective venting of either or both ends
of the torpedo tube.  There is also an individual cock in the vent line of each WRT tank and a common three-way
cock which permits selective use of either WRT tank by any torpedo tube.

47.  The only tributaries of the torpedo low pressure air manifolds which call for description are the
combination of valves related to the torpedo tube filling and draining.  On this combination, operation
of one four-way cock admits air under pressure either to the WRT tank or to the torpedo tube with
which the cock is associated.  Related operation of a cock on the tube drain line then permits flow of
water from the WRT tank to the tube, or vice versa, as desired.  Further, the operation of an additional
three-way cock in the air line permits blowing or venting one or both ends of the tube.  A further
three-way cock in the sir line to the WRT tank, when operated together with a three-way cock on the
common drain line to the WRT tanks, permits a choice of draining to or flooding from either the port or
starboard WRT tank.

A further possibility of controlling list exists in the WRT tank air and water connections in each torpedo
room, which are such as to permit water from one WRT tank to be blown into the other, or to permit flooding
of either WRT tank, there being a port and starboard WRT tank in each torpedo room.

WRT tank - Water Round Torpedo Tank - in german terms - Torpedo Compensating Tank/Torpedo Zelle

(I know, that it is description for type IXC, but it I'm sure, the similar arrangement was on type VII boats).

I have also investigated the original plate 25 (Be- und Entw
« Last Edit: 21 Jan , 2011, 06:08 by SnakeDoc »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #813 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 08:17 »
Hello

Images for starboard side I'm going to post in the evening.

Here are my guesses for starboard side:

On the photo below I marked the additional valve, which is missing on the drawings

(source: http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/galeria/okrety/u-995/)

Below I marked the vent valve (equivalent of k valve - I hope) and junction, where was
thee-way cock v but was removed because of cutting the exit door in pressure hull.

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)

Below two more views of these part of installation:

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)

I'm not quite sure about above assumptions - I do not have good enough photos
to confirm that. The best way would be visiting the Laboe :-)

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #814 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 13:37 »
Hi Maciek

Still going through all your data above, however I really like the picture of forward torpedo room of U-534 after her rising. It made me think I would do a quick search on the net to see if I could find any other of the torpedo room. I am still looking, but I did noticed something!

There a picture of a G7es/T5

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #815 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 14:55 »
Hi Maciek

Thanks for the information and your time. I will update my drawing later.

(I know, that it is description for type IXC, but it I'm sure, the similar arrangement was on type VII boats).

Yes, were are many similar systems & arrangement between the Type VIIC and the Type IX

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #816 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 16:19 »
Thanks, Pat. That sound great. Can you rememeber the name of the program? I would be kind to watch it if it comes to New Zealand.

If I remember correctly, it was a program called "The American Experience" and it was the Buffalo, New York, PBS (Public Broadcasting System), station WNED.  I'm sure they must have a website.

The American Experience is an ongoing series that takes some event in US history that might have some unknown or controversial details and every week goes into whatever is known about it.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #817 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 22:37 »
The opening/closing of the out torpedo tube door

Fig. 1. The torpedo tube.

Fig. 2. Inner section of the torpedo tube - The control rod ran alone the top of the torpedo tube. 

Fig. 3. Outer section of the torpedo tube - The control rod ran alone the top of the torpedo tube, outside the pressure hull. 

Fig. 4. A close-up view of the screw gears, control rods and chain system linking the two sub-systems together.

Fig. 5. A full view of this system.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #818 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 00:27 »
I'm not quite sure about above assumptions - I do not have good enough photos
to confirm that. The best way would be visiting the Laboe :-)

http://www.deutschland-panorama.de/museen/laboe_technisches_museum/ps/10_1051_06.php

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #819 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 02:03 »
Hi Simon

There a picture of a G7es/T5

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #820 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 02:04 »
The opening/closing of the out torpedo tube door

Fig. 1. The torpedo tube.

Fig. 2. Inner section of the torpedo tube - The control rod ran alone the top of the torpedo tube. 

Fig. 3. Outer section of the torpedo tube - The control rod ran alone the top of the torpedo tube, outside the pressure hull. 

Fig. 4. A close-up view of the screw gears, control rods and chain system linking the two sub-systems together.

Fig. 5. A full view of this system.

Simon, it looks awesome !

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #821 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 02:09 »

I imagine that the parallel valve have to be on the other, starboard side, but I don't
have any direct evidence - there is no good photo of that part of room - it is always
hidden by opened inner tube door or shaft gear of the manual drive for diving planes  :-\

I think that I can see valve handle on this photo (but maybe it's my imagination).
The fragment in the rectangle is a part of image after simple processing/sharpening.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #822 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 07:21 »
Hello

I think that I can see valve handle on this photo (but maybe it's my imagination).

It was my imagination. But maybe this valve is the one I looked for:

The screenshot is from the link the Simon posted above:
http://www.deutschland-panorama.de/museen/laboe_technisches_museum/ps/10_1051_06.php#oben

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #823 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 15:41 »

If I remember correctly, it was a program called "The American Experience" and it was the Buffalo, New York, PBS (Public Broadcasting System), station WNED.  I'm sure they must have a website.

The American Experience is an ongoing series that takes some event in US history that might have some unknown or controversial details and every week goes into whatever is known about it.

Thanks Pat! Found it.
http://www.wgbh.org/articles/Killer-Subs-In-Pearl-Harbor-1399 Can not watch it in NZ :( but its also YouTube :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #824 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 15:51 »
Hi Maciek & All

From U-Boote Crews by J Delize

I have for a long time, wondered why the flanges for the drainage lines were so large and on the outside of the bow casting as all the other flanges are on the inside. From the drawing below you can see why now. There so little room to have the flanges on the inside.

« Last Edit: 24 Jan , 2011, 11:05 by NZSnowman »