Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512060 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #690 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 01:14 »
Hi Pat.

After more research on the Schnorchel and U-995 (This whole Schnorchel system is a nightmare >:( - photographs don

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #691 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 10:39 »
Beautiful work as always Simon.  I am glad you managed to retain your sanity while researching the schnorkel! ;)

Ernest

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #692 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 11:55 »
Beautiful work as always Simon.  I am glad you managed to retain your sanity while researching the schnorkel! ;)

Ernest

Thanks Ernest, I am also happy to retain my sanity ;D I think doing this research on the schnorkel has been the hardest topic I have worked on with the Type VIIC

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #693 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 22:11 »

So far I have found 3 styles of schnorkel head and 3 styles of schnorkel piping. I am drawing them up now and hope to have most of them finish this weekend.

Simon

I wonder.  Since I found that U-995 was having her schnorkel retrofitted in Trondheim at the end of the war, and U-711 that I'm building was fitted with her schnorkel in Narvik IIRC, that if the schnorkels weren't installed while being built, that there were just put in by any shop that had the necessary equipment and mechanics, but not necessarily in a proper shipyard, especially a U-boat yard?

In so doing, they exact run of the piping could be different for every boat, especially if it had already been modified for FuMo, Naxos, etc. which might get in the way of a standard piping run?

Since we've already found that such minor things as flooding holes are different from yard to yard, could it not therefore be even more true of schnorkels?

They might get the heads and valves shipped to them from manufacturers in Germany, but the piping would be done on location.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #694 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 22:42 »
Hi Pat

You are 100% correct :) :) :) :)

From what I found from my research you are correct about the older boats being fixed with the schnorkels at any shipyards. I believe only the very latest Type VIIC/41 (from late 1944 I think :-\) were getting them directly put on. I believe getting a schnorkel was the highest desire by any U-boat caption from 1944 onward. The demand for them was very high, I can imagine shipyards used that ever they could found. They must have experienced with all sort of piping.

Pat, have you see any pictures of U-711 schnorkel? Also that was the date for U-711 schnorkel?

Simon

PS Been writing up my research all day, coming along slowly ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #695 on: 20 Nov , 2010, 01:43 »
Hi Pat

Also on a side note:

In Westwood book (The Type VII U-boat) on page 34, he illustrated U-995 as it appeared in the last two years of the war. His drawing illustrates U-995 with the air outlet pipe on the deck and a deck layout for a schnorchel. The problem is that U-995 did not get it schnorchel till after the war ended ;D

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #696 on: 20 Nov , 2010, 20:57 »
Simon, no I haven't seen any pictures of U-711 with a schnorkel but one of the other members here (Jan?) gave me a date of "08.10.44 - January 45: fitting of schnorkel, general modernisation and overhaul" which fits in about right with the dates I have for U-711's patrols and time in port.

According to the same post, the 88mm deck gun was removed in Nov '43, and the 2 x 20mm Zwillings and 37mm FlaK were installed by May '44, so quite a while before the schnorkel. 

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #697 on: 20 Nov , 2010, 21:56 »
Simon, that's an interesting idea about the schnorkel for U-995 being layed out on top of the deck, at least until it could be rebuilt inside.

Do you have any diagrams or idea what that looked like?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #698 on: 20 Nov , 2010, 22:45 »
Pat, I should have my schnorkel research finish by tomorrow and I will post pictures, drawings etc

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #699 on: 21 Nov , 2010, 16:08 »
I have posted a link to a PDF file on my research on the Schnorchel system (found in 'Type VIIC/41 Drawings' http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=469.0). I have decided to put my research in to this document as I believe it easier to read in a single document than several large posts that get harder to find over time. All the topics I am researching for my Type VIIC/41 drawing are all ongoing, as new information will always turns later ;D I still have lot of drawings that I want to add to this document when I can.

I welcome any feedback on the research or the document. I am sorry for the bad spelling and grammar throughout this document, but both are not my strongest subjects.

Happy viewing, and I hope some of this information will be useful for future U-boat models, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #700 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 13:27 »
Schnorchel with schnorchel restrain bracket

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #701 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 15:39 »
Simon, no need to apologize for grammar and spelling.  We all make such mistakes sometimes, as well as plain typos even when we know the correct way.  And for some who have a different language, it's even more difficult.

If' you're worried about it, you could type your posts in a word processing program first, which will automatically correct many of the problems.  It's not foolproof, but it does help.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #702 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 18:37 »
Does anyone know the standard size for the Kriegsmarine flag for a u-boat?

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #703 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 21:27 »
Not sure what, or even if, there was a standard size for U-boats.

However, internationally, the standar is 1" of fly (the horizontal dimension of the flag) for every foot of overall length of the boat.  This would be rounded up to the next largest dimension if there was no flag of that size available.

Therefore, a 200 foot long U-boat would have a flag 16.7 feet on length, rounded up to 17 or perhaps 18 feet.

That seems kind of big to me from all the photos I've seen, but it refers more to the flag flown at the stern when in port than the one flown from the wintergarten while under way.

Most (but not all) national flags have a hoist to fly ratio of 1:2, so one foot of height to every 2 feet of length.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #704 on: 02 Dec , 2010, 16:03 »
Link to full size drawing http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4917/oillines.jpg

I have two questions about the oil lines.

Do people think the lubricating caps for the oils would be painted red like the 8.8cm gun and some of the ones on U-995.

What do people think the oil lines are made of, copper or another metal? The oil lines on the outer tube section (below) are 3-5mm copper.

Picture from U-995 http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml