Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512143 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #585 on: 27 Aug , 2010, 06:22 »
Nicolas, you may be right.  Since I started my U-711, I've put in about 18 months of work and still haven't even got the hull halves glued together.  But as you can tell from my description of the 37mm being around 70 pcs now, there's a lot of detail.  I try to make everything move as in the real ones, so the shiled folds, the gun rotates and elevates.  I've got most of the hatches on my boat opening, including the torpedo doors and the deck hatches, and all the antennas and scopes raise, lower and rotate.  It takes a while but it can be done.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #586 on: 27 Aug , 2010, 21:41 »
Hi Simon,

Nice work on the Hohentwiel and other recent drawings. There are two photos on Ebay that might help you with the Askania magnetic compass fairing.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Foto-U-Boot-957-Bergen-Norwegen-Soldaten-Kpt-Schaar-/380261057484?pt=Militaria#ht_2332wt_911

http://cgi.ebay.de/Foto-U-Boot-957-Bergen-Norwegen-Soldaten-Kpt-Schaar-/380261057495?pt=Militaria#ht_2341wt_911

The first photo shows the trailing edge quite well.

Cheers,

Dougie

Thanks Dougie :) :)

Looking at the pictures, it looks like they used a double row of small rivets to fasten the outer sheet to the internal frame. I will add this detail to my drawing.

Dougie, do you know what it looks like under the fairing? I read somewhere that the compass sit outside the hull and there a system of mirrors, including a small glass window in the pressure hull that project the compass dial in to the control room :-\

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #587 on: 27 Aug , 2010, 23:49 »
The 2cm Amminition was loaded onto U-1308 today, however, still missing the guns ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #588 on: 28 Aug , 2010, 12:50 »
Hello again Simon,

I've not seen a photo of the inside of the magnetic compass fairing. The closest photo is on page 22 of Vom Original zum VIIC. Does the German caption below this photo shed any light?

The other thing to consider is that the Askania fairing might have functioned slightly differently to the earlier type of fairing. There must have been a reason to change to the Askania. Perhaps Askania was a company name or a brand name?

Also the shape of ther Askania would, I would think, be hydronamically inferior to the old fairing?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #589 on: 28 Aug , 2010, 14:56 »
Hello

I've not seen a photo of the inside of the magnetic compass fairing. The closest photo is on page 22 of Vom Original zum VIIC. Does the German caption below this photo shed any light?

The caption below said only about magnetic compass in non-magnetic casing with 900 mm radius.

The other thing to consider is that the Askania fairing might have functioned slightly differently to the earlier type of fairing. There must have been a reason to change to the Askania. Perhaps Askania was a company name or a brand name?

Also the shape of ther Askania would, I would think, be hydronamically inferior to the old fairing?

"Askania" was the name of company which produced compasses and other things (i.e. in last edition of "U-Boot in Focus" is
article about war correspndent Gerhard Garms, who used Askania Z camera in pressure proof casing mounted on conning tower
of U-404)
http://www.compassmuseum.com/diverstext/profiles.htm#ASKANIA

Dougie, do you know what it looks like under the fairing? I read somewhere that the compass sit outside the hull and there a system of mirrors, including a small glass window in the pressure hull that project the compass dial in to the control room :-\

According to report
http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm
the housing for magnetic compass was made non-magnetic plates (aluminum-manganese) (section 9C-S11, page 6).
and
"Plating and framing within 900 mm (35.4" of the magnetic compass, which is of aluminum-magnesium 5.25 per specification KM 9304."

In reports it is also:
"The magnetic compass is a standard compass mounted in a pressure-proof case in the superstructure forward of the conning tower fairwater.  Lighting is provided, and an optical train leads through the pressure hull to the steering station in the control room, where the image of the rose and azimuth circle appears on a ground glass screen."

The description refers to type IXC, but I'm sure, that it was the same on type VII.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #590 on: 28 Aug , 2010, 21:18 »

I think for sure, this would be hydrodynamically inferior. Maybe they needed a bigger gap to separate distances between the aluminum-magnesium and the steel :-\

"The magnetic compass is a standard compass mounted in a pressure-proof case in the superstructure forward of the conning tower fairwater.  Lighting is provided, and an optical train leads through the pressure hull to the steering station in the control room, where the image of the rose and azimuth circle appears on a ground glass screen."

I had a look for this in my photo

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #591 on: 29 Aug , 2010, 03:59 »
Hi

I had a look for this in my photo

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #592 on: 29 Aug , 2010, 08:23 »
great pix!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #593 on: 29 Aug , 2010, 16:27 »
Fantastic found Maciek!!! When I was looking for it I was looking for something a lot smaller. I was so set in my mind what I thought it must look like that I was only looking for one thing, but since you pointed it out, it because very obvious.

I recheck my U-995 photo

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #594 on: 31 Aug , 2010, 05:35 »
good detective work
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #595 on: 03 Sep , 2010, 23:18 »
Does anyone have any pictures of the mesh grill that can be sometime found around the bottom half of the wintergarten platforms?

TRM

« Reply #596 on: 04 Sep , 2010, 06:09 »
NZ,

Not knowing if it helps at all.  These were the only two I had that were clear enough.

The above was enhanced from this shot:

This one might be on  "your CD"?

The above was enhanced from this shot:

Hope it helps...

LE BOSCO

« Reply #597 on: 04 Sep , 2010, 07:14 »

Hi NZSnowman
If that can help you

I hope that you was not too "Shake" at home

regards
Nicolas

TRM

« Reply #598 on: 04 Sep , 2010, 07:58 »
NZ,  I meant to ask, are you and yours are unscathed from the earthquake? New Castle is North West of the epicenter? That was sizable.  I have a lab in my building at work that reproduces earthquakes for client testing.  Anything above the 7 on the MMS (Moment Magnitude Scale) get pretty nasty.

I hope all is well, take care.

T

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #599 on: 04 Sep , 2010, 13:08 »
Thanks for the pictures, TRM & Nicolas  :) :)

TRM, I work and live about 55 km away from epicentre in the mountain. I was working at the time of the earthquake at 4:35am. As the avalanche forecaster at the ski area I work at, I was extremely concerned for the safety of our ‘on-hill’ staff. We have no avalanche within the ski area but there were many very large avalanches 'out of bound', all around us. We had to delay the opening of the ski area for a few hours while we checked equipment and assessed avalanche risk. There was no damage to anything manmade either at work or home :)  However, my parents live only 6 km away from epicentre, and they said that they have lot of damage within the house :( My mum toll me that the road that they live on, shifted 3m!
« Last Edit: 04 Sep , 2010, 13:10 by NZSnowman »