Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 515481 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #555 on: 12 Jul , 2010, 14:51 »
Dougie, bronze or copper, being metal just seems odd to me for what's basically a microphone cover.  Copper is a basic ingredient of antifouling coatings, (as is tin back in those days).  Since bronze is an alloy with copper but it doesn't turn green the same way, it might be a little more likely. 

The UT and GHG would basically be analagous to the depth sounders of today, which are a very thick black plastic of some sort, but then, in WWII, they may not have had such types of plastic, or if they did, couldn't divert the petroleum resources to making it.  That might have been a reason for using metal. 

Any idea how they transmitted sound if they were metal?

Hi Pat

Here a cross section of a sensors from my drawing. The German Navy were utilizing Rochelle (salt) crystals (K Na C4 N4 O6) (known as Seignette-Kristall, in Germany) (blue and white in the drawing), based on the 'piezoelectrical effect'. I believe they used a small gasket light gray in the drawing around the sensors and black is the pressure hull and orange is the bronze cover.

Pat, if you can not see the drawing try this link http://img293.imageshack.us/i/graphic1od.jpg/

Hi Maciek, Send you PM but not sure if it work, if not, let me know :-)
« Last Edit: 12 Jul , 2010, 15:00 by NZSnowman »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #556 on: 18 Jul , 2010, 14:55 »
No luck on the line drawing, either here or on the link.  I've tried several times over the past 3 days.

I'll have to try from different computers again.  Sometimes that works.

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #557 on: 19 Jul , 2010, 05:58 »
      Hi Pat.. Same problem on my end. Nothing visable on the forum or link.
                                                                         Bill

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #558 on: 19 Jul , 2010, 16:08 »
Bill and Pat, I workout why you guys can't see the pictures, its because you guys are about -7 hours GMT and NZ is +12 GMT. You guys are always 18 hours behind the rest of us. ;D ;D ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #559 on: 21 Jul , 2010, 03:16 »
"real keen to get some comment of what you think of my Stuffing Box."...

Have you used that line in a bar picking up women?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #560 on: 21 Jul , 2010, 03:16 »
On a more serious note, very sorry some are having trouble with the pix. They work ia very simple manner, so all i can think is a setting - most of us can see them. I will see what a tech search does, so we can try to solve this

Trader

« Reply #561 on: 21 Jul , 2010, 03:33 »
Hello and good morning
At last time i have some trouble with this board. I changed the preferred Language from English to German and at this time i dont can see any Buttons at the top of this side. as i change it back to english it was ok.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #562 on: 22 Jul , 2010, 16:28 »
Ok, I can see the picture going through that site.  I think the colours might have changed since there's no grey or white, but there is a green tube with a pair of bright blue lines horizontally in the middle.

Anyway, the drawing makes sense, and I can see what must be the bronze cover plate on the extreme right in the picture.  The gasket doesn't show up as grey, but I think it must be behind the bronze plate?

Not 100% sure how it works, but if you're saying that there's some sort of 'piezoelectrical effect', then I can sort of imagine a bit. 

Hmmm, where it's located, it must not even be inside the PH, so the transducer would be at the same pressure as the outside water perhaps, or so thick and small that it doesn't matter, and then it just sends the signal into the operator via a through hull.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #563 on: 23 Jul , 2010, 23:44 »
Trader, I will check for updated German Language for this forum - sorry you had trouble

Pat - still checking solutions

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #564 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 00:13 »
Pat - I have changed php code re: pix and thumbnails. This was the recommended solution at Simple Machines Forum Help. It solved the problem on other forums. Please chck and see if the images are visible for you.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #565 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 00:37 »
Trader - we had some bad files for German, Dutch, Spanish and Russian. Hopefully fixed now. Please try German again and let us know if it works.

Thanks

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #566 on: 28 Jul , 2010, 23:00 »
Does anyone have the old old links for the 360 deg view of U-505? I seems to lose them here :(

Also anyone seen the 'U505 Extend the Experience' DVD? Is it any good?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #567 on: 28 Jul , 2010, 23:21 »
Does anyone have the old old links for the 360 deg view of U-505? I seems to lose them here :(
A little more searching and I found the link http://archive.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/virtualtour/vr_tour/index.html

But here another question:

I am looking at the side step on the inside of the Bridge. The step on U-505 look like wood (check out the link below) and the step on U-955 is metal. I know these are not the original steps on U-955, as the original German

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #568 on: 29 Jul , 2010, 01:15 »
There's logic either way. I would lean to metal, but that is backed up by nothing historical, just modern practical.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #569 on: 01 Aug , 2010, 16:40 »
Hi Simon,

Yeah, you'll need a compass repeater, engine dial and voicepipe. Have a look at this photo -

It is of U 995 after her Norwegian service. Now there may have been changes made by the Norwegians. But I don't have a photo of the "dashboard" of a wartime VIIC/41. You can see the compass repeater and engine dial are in the usual location, as on VIICs. The viocepipe is in the usual location to the starboard side (but is partially obscured by the periscope base).

Remember that a shelf was fitted to the VIICs and VIIC/41s from mid-war or so. The photos of U 377 show an example of this shelf, which was usually flat. Note there would be a hole in this shelf to allow access for the sky periscope. 

Cheers,

Dougie

Hi Dougie

The small shelf with the telegraphs and viocepipe on it under the top shelf on U-995. Do you think this was a thing for Type VIIC/41s or added by the Norwegians?