Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 513607 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #495 on: 22 May , 2010, 03:09 »
The stern Navigation light and Stern light on the Conning tower, are white?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #496 on: 22 May , 2010, 03:56 »
Inside the Conning tower, ivory colour?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #497 on: 22 May , 2010, 17:49 »
I think it started as white, but dirt and such may make it stained and off colour
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #498 on: 22 May , 2010, 18:23 »
Hi Simon,

My apologies for my delay in replying, I have been on paternity leave recently and have had no spare time. Below are a few shots of the late UZO. They aren't great - as always we need better resources. Your house looks brilliant, as do your posters on the wall.

Cheers,

Dougie

Hi Dougie

Got around to drawing the late war UZO. I also update the binoculars to a Zeiss UDF 7x50 and modernize the UZO support column and added a firing release lever.

Thanks again for the pictures.

« Last Edit: 23 May , 2010, 15:09 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #499 on: 23 May , 2010, 15:32 »
From my previous post about the late war UZO you can see in my drawing the power cable exiting out the bottom of the UZO support column. In the picture below you can see this cable entering the Conning tower (Green Arrow). If you look at all the cable openings in the Conning tower they all have small valve on them (Red Arrows).  Why have valve ???

Is it to drain water out of the opening ??? or to pressure the seals with high air pressure ??? or to add oil ??? Does anyone know or have any commons ???

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #500 on: 24 May , 2010, 15:33 »
Has anyone seen any measurement for the front outer torpedo doors for the Type VIIC's?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #501 on: 26 May , 2010, 17:48 »
I am adding the Style 6 of Diesel Exhaust Outlets to my drawing. Which picture do poeple think looks more like 'German engineering' A or B? http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=280.0

Pic. A

Pic. B

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #502 on: 27 May , 2010, 02:12 »
A for my vote. B makes the most sense, at least from a "off the shelf/standard/minimal effort way, nothing too custom): straight/90 elbow/slight custom. BUT, I don't feel the KM was into "easy and standard" at first...but others will know more than me!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #503 on: 29 May , 2010, 14:48 »
From my previous post about the late war UZO you can see in my drawing the power cable exiting out the bottom of the UZO support column. In the picture below you can see this cable entering the Conning tower (Green Arrow). If you look at all the cable openings in the Conning tower they all have small valve on them (Red Arrows).  Why have valve ???

Is it to drain water out of the opening ??? or to pressure the seals with high air pressure ??? or to add oil ??? Does anyone know or have any commons ???

Sorry it took so long to answer, but as usual, computer problems and it took until I could get to a different computer to view the picture that you were talking about.

The valve is a safety valve, to be able able to shut off the through-hull opening if it leaks.

EVERY boat, or at least every surface boat I've been on, has such a valve wherever there's an opening (through hull) to the outside water.  Since it's stndard, and in fact mandated by regulations, for such a shut offvalve for surface boats, I can't imagine that a submarine, designed to dive down a hundred meters or more, wouldn't also have such a valve.

The reason why it's a ball valve, instead of a simpler and cheaper gate valve, is so that it can be shut off with one quick 1/4 turn of the wrist in an emergency.

Not sure how they work with a cable running through them, but that would be the reason. 

If you watch any movies where a sub is being depth charged, you'll see whenever the boat springs a leak at any of the interior pipes or through hulls, the crew goes around and shuts off valves that the pipe leads from.  The leak may not always be where the pipe leads through the hull, but there will always be a valve somehwere that shuts it off from the outside.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #504 on: 29 May , 2010, 15:28 »
Thanks, Pat for your reply :) :)

I did not noted they are all ball valves, but make sense! However, one thing I can not get my head around is, if there no valve on a through-hull opening would that not mean one less place to leaks from ???

I wonder if the small pipes to each valve are for high pressure air to stop water coming in, in a full emergency. If your boat is sinking fast it better to have a few bubblers on the surface than be at the bottom at 4000m. What your thought on this Pat ???
« Last Edit: 29 May , 2010, 16:49 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #505 on: 29 May , 2010, 16:48 »
Hi Maciek, Rokket & Pat

Re: our converse about the 'dynamic pressure' inlets for the speedometer in February this year. I found this view of U-995 of the bow vents, inside the vents you can see a pipe running to the edge of the bow. I wonder if this could be for the 'dynamic pressure' inlets pipe ??? Also it looks like they patch this area and maybe that why I can not locate the opening for the speedometer.

From http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg4272#msg4272

Picture from U-995 http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #506 on: 29 May , 2010, 17:33 »
looks like a patch to stop visitors fro crawling in and poking around! Could be, hopefully Pat knows!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #507 on: 30 May , 2010, 06:55 »
Thanks, Pat for your reply :) :)

I did not noted they are all ball valves, but make sense! However, one thing I can not get my head around is, if there no valve on a through-hull opening would that not mean one less place to leaks from ???

I wonder if the small pipes to each valve are for high pressure air to stop water coming in, in a full emergency. If your boat is sinking fast it better to have a few bubblers on the surface than be at the bottom at 4000m. What your thought on this Pat ???

You can usually tell ball valves because of the lever instead of a tap handle.  They use this for through-hull fittings because a ball valve can be closed quickly with just a quick flick of the wrist, while a gate valve (the ones with the tap handle, like an outside water tap) have to be turned several rotations to close and thus take too long in an emergency.  In a sub at depth, fast shut-off is important.

Not sure what the small pipes would be but your idea of using high pressure air makes sense.The air wouldn't even necessarily be escaping, but instead it would be a way to equalize the pressure on both sides of the valve so that the outside water pressure would have a harder time working its way through the joints in the valve.  You can only machine the toperances so tightly between the ball and the body of the valve before it would be too tight for the operator to turn, but that might still let water through, but if the whole valve could be pressurized, then that wouldn't matter.

I'm going to have to wait until I can get to another computer for the second question about the knotmeter (never call it a speedometer on a boat) because with this old clunker, I can't see the picture.

I do remember our previous conversation about the location though and I'm still wondering about how they protected it from hitting floating debris if it was at the cutwater (leading edge) of the boat.  These boats tended to have a lot of the bow come right out of the water in heavy seas so it would be a very vulnerable location.  Could this cover you're talking about be some sort of protection for that?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #508 on: 31 May , 2010, 01:47 »
Hi Simon,

Seewolf, was the SU-Apparat

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #509 on: 02 Jun , 2010, 01:29 »
Hello Simon

I have always thought that there were two TDC on a U-Boat, one in the Conning tower and one in the Control Room. However, now I believe there was only one in the Conning tower. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Attack periscope & TDC within the Conning tower :)

Some time ago you have posted drawing of the TDC.
Have you got the labels or descriptions of all dials you have drawn?

--
Regards
Maciek