Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512058 times)

Seewolf

Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #480 on: 13 May , 2010, 17:48 »
Hello Simon,
first at all great work and thanks for sharing. I wish I found this site earlyer  ;).
Maybe you can use this infomation below:
- at the first drawings I saw you had only 16 GHG receiver for the VIIC41 should be 24 GHG receiver each side (the early VIIC was only 11 each side)
- The S Ger

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #481 on: 13 May , 2010, 19:44 »
Hi Seewolf

Welcome aboard! Thanks for the kind words about my drawings. No worrys about your english; it is better than my german ;D

- at the first drawings I saw you had only 16 GHG receiver for the VIIC41 should be 24 GHG receiver each side (the early VIIC was only 11 each side)

Thanks, I do not know this. Now after this, looking at my plans, pictures and research I see you are right  :)

- The S Ger

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #482 on: 14 May , 2010, 03:22 »
Welcome Seewolf, and thanks for posting the excellent info. Also love your avatar, looks a bit like U 557's emblem...?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Seewolf

« Reply #483 on: 14 May , 2010, 17:58 »
Hello gentelman thanks for the welcome,
Simon if I can help you with german labels or some technik stuff no problem, If I know it off course. Since good a half year I am working on researche for german WWII Subs.
Rokket the embleme is from U-129 it is a type IX/C U-Boot. U-557 (Type VII/C) had a red lion too with an anchor but they look nearly simulare they are both, I guees, old german town insignia I don`t know exact how old this insignia is but could be from the middleage.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #484 on: 17 May , 2010, 16:07 »
In Anatomy of the Ship - The Type VII U-Boat on Page 73. Westwood suggest these drainage holes (No. 9 & 18) were added to Type VIIC/41's. I have never seen these drainage holes on any Type VII's.

Does anyone know if this is correct or have any comments on these drainage holes. Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #485 on: 18 May , 2010, 17:10 »
Below are 3 different outlines of the bows for the Type VIIC

Seewolf

« Reply #486 on: 18 May , 2010, 17:33 »
Hello Simon,
regarding the drainage holes (No. 9 & 18), I don`t remember drydock pics from VIIC/41, but the Laboe Boot U-995 did not have this drainage holes. Did Westwood wrote what time they was added.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #487 on: 18 May , 2010, 18:22 »
Hello Simon,
regarding the drainage holes (No. 9 & 18), I don`t remember drydock pics from VIIC/41, but the Laboe Boot U-995 did not have this drainage holes. Did Westwood wrote what time they was added.

Westwood say 'stern general arranments' also he has them on his Type VIIF, VIID, U-995 & late war VIIC's elevation drawing :o I have never seen them on U-995, not even in all the pictures from the 70's. Like I said before, I never seen these hole on any Type VII's :-\ 

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #488 on: 18 May , 2010, 23:59 »
The French dock workers are extremely happy today as the keel for U-1308 was laid and finish today :) :) this include all 1,461 rivets ;D ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: 19 May , 2010, 15:26 »
Hi Simon,

Congrats to the French dock workers, they must be good at riveting by now!

Your Atlantic bow question is a good one, though difficult to resolve with any level of certainty. I wouldn't be surprised if the Atlantic bow varied between shipyards? I don't think I could tell the difference between tapering back to 79 or 104 using period photos. My guess - and it is only a guess - for VIIC/41s would be tapering back to 79. 

Regarding the vents at the stern in Westwood's VIIC/41 plan, I've never seen them on any VIIC or VIIC/41 photo. Notice that he also has these vents on the VIID and VIIF plans. I wonder if they originated from a VIID or VIIF plan and Westwood incorrectly applied them to his VIIC/41 profile?  I haven't seen this area of a VIIF (or for that matter a VIID) so it may be possible these vents were on VIIFs?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #490 on: 19 May , 2010, 17:39 »
Hi Simon,

Congrats to the French dock workers, they must be good at riveting by now!

Your Atlantic bow question is a good one, though difficult to resolve with any level of certainty. I wouldn't be surprised if the Atlantic bow varied between shipyards? I don't think I could tell the difference between tapering back to 79 or 104 using period photos. My guess - and it is only a guess - for VIIC/41s would be tapering back to 79. 

Regarding the vents at the stern in Westwood's VIIC/41 plan, I've never seen them on any VIIC or VIIC/41 photo. Notice that he also has these vents on the VIID and VIIF plans. I wonder if they originated from a VIID or VIIF plan and Westwood incorrectly applied them to his VIIC/41 profile?  I haven't seen this area of a VIIF (or for that matter a VIID) so it may be possible these vents were on VIIFs?

Cheers,

Dougie

Thanks Dougie for your help again  :) :)

I have never seen any original Type VIIC/41 plans, all the ones I have are for VIIC. Maybe it will be one of them things we will never give the answer until we found a set Type VIIC/41 deck plans. Nevertheless, you make a very point about varied between shipyards.

I have a set of plans for the Type VIID, I will check this out later, although I think is very unlikely as I believe the stern and bow sections are identical between the VIID/F and VIIC.

Yes, the French dock workers are good riveter now ;D ;D That not counting the 4000 plus rivets I added for the stern section the another day ;D ;D Make you wonder how many rivets are on U-Boat :o

Seewolf

« Reply #491 on: 20 May , 2010, 15:58 »
Hello Simon,
great job on the rivets!!! Regarding the drainage holes I guess Dougie had the solution. I have not much info about the VIIF but I start a little bit resarch at the VIID (have one at the bench  ;D). The VIID  I can say for sure U-217 had additional openings under the waterline at the bow section, if U-217 had these openings I gess also the other VIID had these openings and if they make additional openings under the waterline at the bow, why not at the stern .... of course it is guessing. They was all launched from 24.07.1941 till 05.12.1941 all builded from Germaniawerft, Kiel. The VIIF was also launched from Germaniawerft but later between 13.03.1943 and 08.05.1943.
Here i found a site withe wreck pics from U-214 type VIID, http://www.periscopepublishing.com/U214%20exhibition.htm , but off course the aft section is not present  :P this guys make also some videos from the wreck but my internet conection is to slow  :'(  It is now a little bit off topic regarding the drainage holes but interesting the VIID was launched with wind-sheeld and breakwater without net-cutter and at least U-214 was fitted with S-Ger

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #492 on: 20 May , 2010, 20:33 »
Hello Simon,
great job on the rivets!!! Regarding the drainage holes I guess Dougie had the solution. I have not much info about the VIIF but I start a little bit resarch at the VIID (have one at the bench  ;D). The VIID  I can say for sure U-217 had additional openings under the waterline at the bow section, if U-217 had these openings I gess also the other VIID had these openings and if they make additional openings under the waterline at the bow, why not at the stern .... of course it is guessing. They was all launched from 24.07.1941 till 05.12.1941 all builded from Germaniawerft, Kiel. The VIIF was also launched from Germaniawerft but later between 13.03.1943 and 08.05.1943.

You and Dougie could be right about the extra drainage holes in the bow and stern for the Type VII/D & F, as I think I just remember reading something about the Type VII/D & F having larger trim and diving tanks because there boats are longer. Maybe they need additional drainage holes to let the sea water in & out faster.

Sorry with the bow.... I was trying to find out what time and wich boat they started to use the Atlantic bow..... for the moment I give it up to find out  ::) but I will be on it in the end of this year, I will visit the U-Boot archive in my hometown, hope to find out several stuff there. Maybe I should open a thread, for questions I can try to find out there ?

I think this would be a great idea, if you have the time and energy to do it. I have a few questions I love to ask. I am sure I can think of more later  ;D

* Did U-1308 have a Balconger

Seewolf

« Reply #493 on: 21 May , 2010, 14:04 »
Hi Simon,

Seewolf, was the SU-Apparat

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #494 on: 22 May , 2010, 02:57 »
Way back in May of last year a few of as were having a discussion about what kind of repeaters are on the bridge Was it a Rudder telegraph not a Engine telegraph? While doing some research on the Conning tower wiring system today, I came across these 3 bits of information in the