Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512093 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #405 on: 07 Mar , 2010, 20:22 »
That's an interesting story about the Metoz and the bomber crews Snowman.  What year was that happening and was it ALL Allied bomber crews or just the ones of one nation?

I've been tossing around the idea of writing a book about what I know of my father's war, and it might be something that he was involved in.  He was shot down in Feb '44, over Germany and as a Pathfinder, he would have been involved in radar and radar detection and electronic navigation (Oboe) before it was common among the RAF crews.

Doenitz ordered all U-boats to cause using the Metox on 31 July 1943, So the Brits, may have started the rumor a month or a few weeks before this. Maybe the started rumor with several SOE (Special Operations Executive) members going to a flying crew bar and going around starting this rumor knowing that the SS or Gestapo would end up with the information if they crash. Or maybe they crash a plane into France and made it look like it could track Metox signals :-\ I just not sure how they started the rumor. Maybe, in the next 20 years they may release a document with all the secret in it ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #406 on: 07 Mar , 2010, 20:32 »
Clever! Intrigue! Like the "man who never was" - Brits put fake invasion plans on a dead body, dumped in the ocean with plane debris, and let it be discovered in Spain. Great triple twists!

Yes, Operation Mincemeat. The Brits were very good at clever thing during the war

Trader

« Reply #407 on: 08 Mar , 2010, 06:54 »
Hello
Ok, this is my first post, but in last Time i have many to read here.
Here ist a nice link for u-995 with Panorama

CT:
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/01_U-Boot_Turm_max.swf

Central
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/04_U-Boot-Zentrale_max.swf

Engine
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/02_U-Boot-Maschine_max.swf

Cu
Trader
« Last Edit: 08 Mar , 2010, 06:58 by Trader »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #408 on: 09 Mar , 2010, 00:56 »

Does anyone know how the aft torpedo door work? As the plans do not seem to match the real pictures.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #409 on: 09 Mar , 2010, 01:28 »
Hello Simon

Does anyone know how the aft torpedo door work? As the plans do not seem to match the real pictures.

You mean rear door of the tube (interior door)?
There was a door supported by the hinge. On the rear edge/end of the tube was rotating ring with
some kind of bayonet screw, which locked closed door.
There is also a gear, to which can be attached a hand lever, and which is used to rotate a lcoking ring
(at about 5 hour ;) on the below image).

To the locking ring were also attached angle plate, which was used to interlock some operations.

See also photos on u-historia - you will see parts described above.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #410 on: 09 Mar , 2010, 01:40 »
Sorry, good point. I was talking about the outer door. On the plans it looks like it hinge at the top and the whole door left up

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #411 on: 10 Mar , 2010, 20:39 »

Does anyone know the diameter of the propeller shaft or main drive shaft?

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #412 on: 11 Mar , 2010, 01:08 »
Hello Simon

Does anyone know the diameter of the propeller shaft or main drive shaft?

Look at
http://uboatarchive.net/U-570BritishReport.htm
Paragraph "Main Mounting"

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #413 on: 11 Mar , 2010, 01:41 »
Thanks, Maciek. The answer was 224 mm.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #414 on: 12 Mar , 2010, 00:34 »
Not really related, but a Maciek just started at my work! That's not you is it? ;)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

UrpoK

« Reply #415 on: 12 Mar , 2010, 13:25 »
You mean rear door of the tube (interior door)?
There was a door supported by the hinge. On the rear edge/end of the tube was rotating ring with
some kind of bayonet screw, which locked closed door.
There is also a gear, to which can be attached a hand lever, and which is used to rotate a lcoking ring

Hi Maciek,

Where did you find that photo?
It's a good shot.

The "interior door" was a moving launching piston which kept the pressurized air inside the boat.
Invisible or bubble less launching system.

Timo

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #416 on: 12 Mar , 2010, 17:39 »
Hello Timo

Where did you find that photo?
It's a good shot.

The photo is a part of British Report on captured U-570 (later HMS Graph)
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570.htm

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #417 on: 17 Mar , 2010, 15:31 »
Hello gents,

I've been meaning to post recently but have not quite found the time. Pat, I was very interested to hear your discussion on the sacrificial anodes and wonder if I might ask you a question.

The above photo is of U 99 and can be found on page 25 in Steve Wiper's excellent pictorial book "Kriegsmarine Type VII U-Boats". Do you see the two plates ahead of the prop? Are they the sacrificial anodes? Originally I thought they weren't the correct size but I would be interested to hear your opinion.

I've also seen these in the same position on U 821.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #418 on: 17 Mar , 2010, 17:56 »
Dougie, I'm assuming you mean the two squarish plates, one on either side of the prop shaft on the underside of the arm that supports the aft dive plane?

If so, then I think that yes, those are quite possibly sacrificial anodes.  They're about the right size for something as big as a U-boat, and around the stern is where I'd most expect to see them, especially near the propellors and rudders because it's there that you'd find most of the dissimilar metals (bronze - steel props, stainless steel shafts, hinges and bearings for the dvie planes and rudders, etc.)

The squares in your picture aren't in the same location, nor are they the same size and shape in the picture I'd seen before, but like I said, shape isn't definitive, since most boat builders will use whatever is available.  Milspecs of the day would just call for "anodes" and not specify what manufacturer or model they have to be, just that they provide enough zinc to do the job.  And when a boat came in for refit, they'd replace old anodes with whatever was handy too.

Location isn't necessarily going to be the same on each boat either, just that they have to have all the sensitive areas protected, and each builder could make his own deceision as to where.  It might even change from one boat to the next or from one refit to the next.

The main thing is that they have to be there, not what they look like.

There'd be a minimum of one for each propellor and one for each rudder, and there could be as many as two for each I think.

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #419 on: 18 Mar , 2010, 03:57 »
Hello NZSnowman,

Amazing work in any point of view ; highly instructive and helpful. Your research process is very interesting.
I like and admire your work, objectively...
Thank you.

Cheers,
Pepper-mint.
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :