Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512469 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #345 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 19:53 »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #346 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 23:11 »
Actually, it's amazing how little water a diesel on a boat needs.  Keep in mind that in a closed system (like a car with a radiator), the coolent is recycled over and over again and so it gets hot, sometimes boiling hot as you might be familiar with if you've ever had a rad cap leak.

But with a boat, it's a constant supply of fresh, cool water, in the ocean, usually never more than about 16 degrees C.  So it doesn't need a lot. 

While the engine in my boat is admittedly a lot smaller than those of a U-boat, it just uses a trickle of water, no more than a cup or two a minute, even at top speed.

Also, diesels run cooler than gasoline engines.  I can always rest my hand on the engine block of the diesel in my boat.  But I wouldn't attempt that with my gasoline driven car.  I once by accident grabbed the exhaust of my bike and am I ever glad I was wearing leather work gloves.  I had to toss the gloves out, once I ripped them off the pipes.

The wires I was talking about are the connection between the paddlewheel and the knotmeter gauge.  The paddlewheel is where the speed of the boat is measured, but there has to be a connection between that and the gauge.  That connection is electrical, not mechanical like a car.  The magnets in the paddlewheel just send impulses to the remote gauge.  So yes, I guess you'd say that the paddlewheel (or more correctly the magnets in the wheel and the boat) create a current that is read by the gauge.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #347 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 01:14 »
I was thinking that the connection between the paddle wheel and the knot meter gauge was a cable that was why I thought it would be located as near to the control room :-[ If it is electrical it could be anywhere. I will need to recheck all my pictures again.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #348 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 15:26 »
Hello

I think that speedometer was not kind of paddlewheel.
Accodring to Underwater Log System section in Design Study Type IXC
http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm
that was a kind of Pitot Tube.

The 'dynamic pressure' inlets were at bow section (red arrow) as at this photo of U-54 on launching day,

the 'static pressure' - at midship - maybe it is where Simon marked.

The main device was in forward bulkhead of Control Room, at steering station

(photo from U-historia.com).

Note please the piping above speedometer - it looks like described in Design Study.

The principle of operation is shown on my simple drawing.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #349 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 16:04 »
That's a REALLY bad location for any sort of instrument like speed.

Firstly, in rough weather, the bow of almost all ships frequently sticks out of the water, so no speed measurement taken.  When the next wave hits, the bow plunges down into the water - hard, and could damage instrumentation and the plunging would give a false high speed.

When the torpedo outer door is opened, it would change the water flow and therefore the speed measure.  Just when it's needed most to input into the targetting computer.

Being at the cutwater (the pointy part of the stem) means that any floating logs or wreckage can hit it and damage it.  Even weeds could jam into it and plug it up.

It also needs an outlet not far behind it.  Otherwise, the water gets in, can't get out and no speed is registered. 

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #350 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 16:26 »
It also needs an outlet not far behind it.  Otherwise, the water gets in, can't get out and no speed is registered. 

I don't think that Pitot Tube needs outlet - As far I know it needs two inlets to compare static and dynamic pressure.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #351 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 21:40 »
Thanks Maciek, The pictures and information is fantastic!!

I had seen the Underwater Log System (No 8) but did not put things together  ::)

I had also seen Design Study Type IXC but have not thought about search it for information. I read the Underwater Log System section. It great to know how the speedometer work now. I recheck my pictures but I could not find the Pitot Tube on any of my Type VII bow. This started me thinking that maybe they used a different system on the Type VIIC's. I check some pictures of Type IX bows and found the Pitot Tube (See below U-534). I also recheck the information about openings in the pressure hull for Type VIIC and there nothing about a opening for the speedometer system in the bow :-\

I wonder if they change the speedometer system for the Type VIIC ??? 

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #352 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 01:04 »
I wonder if they change the speedometer system for the Type VIIC ??? 

I also wonder, why these nozzles are clearly visible only on few photos.
I think, that the system (Fahrtme

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #353 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 02:23 »
Maciek, would changing the location of the inlets affect the speedometer? Would shipyard need to reset system (e.g. does the length of the pipe affect the speedometer?)

Why do you think the shipyard would feel the need to change the location?

I tried to check the bow of U-995 but the whole bow of U-995 as be replace  :(

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #354 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 03:33 »
Maciek, would changing the location of the inlets affect the speedometer? Would shipyard need to reset system (e.g. does the length of the pipe affect the speedometer?)

In the Design Study is written, that speedometer had to be calibrated to the each
hull shape, so I think that inlets position should affect the installation.

Why do you think the shipyard would feel the need to change the location?
I tried to check the bow of U-995 but the whole bow of U-995 as be replace  :(

It's my guessing, why these inlets are so hard to locate.
As I wrote above, these could be installed ones a little higher, ones a little lower,
ones as a sticking out pipes, ones as a little holes in outside casing.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #355 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 07:12 »
That makes sense that the pickup could be in different places in different boats.  We already know that different shipyards had different patterns of drainage holes from each other and even from one year to the next, and knotmeter pickups could be the same.

Even the type of instrument could differ from one boat to another as they'd use whatever was available at the time.  Modern boats are not necessarily the same.  There are 3 boats the same as mine in my YC, and each of them have different spars and slightly different rigging.  Mine has 1 dorade over the head, another has 2 in the saloon, another has none.  One has 6 opening portholes, mine has none, the other has just 2.  The blocks and mainsheet traveller are different for each boat, and often the manufacturer of cleats and blocks are different for each boat.  So are the instruments.

Jooy

« Reply #356 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 16:21 »

Well, hi to everyone...  I'm a novice in your forum and I'd like starting telling this crazy thing:   ::)

I've been giving rounds in my mind to build slowly (I'm not in a hurry... ), a U-boat in scale 1/6 for my soldiers, and althought I'm conscious it may be a suicide idea, I wouldn't like to leave at least without trying it before...
   Over all, I had thought for solving the problem of the large size of the length (we would be talking about almost 11 meters), I'd made it by parts: 6 parts of 1,5m and the last: the middle in 2m.   
    Anyway, all these ideas are focus to the same idea: to build an u-boat in scale 1/6...  and I was wondering if someone could help me get some decent levels but then had to expand or something similar.

That's all... Thanks in advance.    ;)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #357 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 22:41 »
Check this out ;D

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/KRAKA.htm

http://www.vimeo.com/976560

http://ing.dk/artikel/89591

Well, hi to everyone...  I'm a novice in your forum and I'd like starting telling this crazy thing:   ::)

I've been giving rounds in my mind to build slowly (I'm not in a hurry... ), a U-boat in scale 1/6 for my soldiers, and althought I'm conscious it may be a suicide idea, I wouldn't like to leave at least without trying it before...
   Over all, I had thought for solving the problem of the large size of the length (we would be talking about almost 11 meters), I'd made it by parts: 6 parts of 1,5m and the last: the middle in 2m.   
    Anyway, all these ideas are focus to the same idea: to build an u-boat in scale 1/6...  and I was wondering if someone could help me get some decent levels but then had to expand or something similar.

That's all... Thanks in advance.    ;)

« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2010, 22:43 by NZSnowman »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #358 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 23:45 »
NZ -that top link is WOW!!! thanks! many folks here would share that dream I'm sure!

Jooy - it IS possible. Someone near me has started building a full scale Spitfire. keep us posted. When you say "get some decent levels" what do you mean?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #359 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 00:50 »
NZ -that top link is WOW!!! thanks! many folks here would share that dream I'm sure!

Jooy - it IS possible. Someone near me has started building a full scale Spitfire. keep us posted. When you say "get some decent levels" what do you mean?

Yes it a fantastic build...I watch the build a few years ago...had forgotten about it til today