Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512155 times)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #180 on: 08 May , 2009, 15:24 »
Id say yes. Looking at the shots of the props, you can see the blades are shaped in opposite directions.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #181 on: 09 May , 2009, 01:55 »
Id say yes. Looking at the shots of the props, you can see the blades are shaped in opposite directions.

Good spotting Siara :) Here a picture from U-955.

Picture from http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml

Mr.Mox

« Reply #182 on: 09 May , 2009, 03:21 »
I think the word is counter rotating - i guess it would work against the tourgue of the engines and give less vibrations.

Cheers/Jan

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #183 on: 10 May , 2009, 01:05 »
Thought I posted yesterday, but must have been lost at last minute! I'll have to see a moderator! GRRRR!

YES, all (most) two screw boats/ships in navy counter rotated because of torque, as you guys mention. The early WWI biplanes had true rotary engines ("rotary rights"), and because of the huge extra torque, right turns were short and intense.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #184 on: 11 May , 2009, 05:16 »
actually it prevents the boat from steering off a straight line:
given that the pressure is different on top and bottom of the screw, it gives the stern the tendency to steer to the right with a clockwise rotation of the screw.
usefull when you want to bring the stern to the quay........
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #185 on: 13 May , 2009, 23:40 »
I am working on the bridge of my VIIC/41, what things are I missing like e.g. voice pipe?, Engine revolution repeator? Compass repeater? What should be on the bridge?

« Last Edit: 14 May , 2009, 18:40 by NZSnowman »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #186 on: 14 May , 2009, 12:58 »
Good Job Simon.
One thing- the top of the attack periscope housing should be on the same level as the CT walls.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: 14 May , 2009, 15:01 »
Hi Simon,

Yeah, you'll need a compass repeater, engine dial and voicepipe. Have a look at this photo -

It is of U 995 after her Norwegian service. Now there may have been changes made by the Norwegians. But I don't have a photo of the "dashboard" of a wartime VIIC/41. You can see the compass repeater and engine dial are in the usual location, as on VIICs. The viocepipe is in the usual location to the starboard side (but is partially obscured by the periscope base).

Remember that a shelf was fitted to the VIICs and VIIC/41s from mid-war or so. The photos of U 377 show an example of this shelf, which was usually flat. Note there would be a hole in this shelf to allow access for the sky periscope. 

The photo below is of U 993 on the 8th July 1943 -

The boat isn't finished yet. The engine dial is there. There is something where the compass repeater would usually go. The shelf on top hasn't been added yet. This is good for us as it allows us to see all the way forward to the area that would later be hidden under the shelf.

Cheers,

Dougie

vonbulowfla

« Reply #188 on: 14 May , 2009, 15:45 »
good stuff dougie .nice ! :D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #189 on: 14 May , 2009, 18:56 »
Many thanks to eveyone for the information on the bridge. I am going to work on this over the weekend  :)

How did the voice pipe work ??? I can not imagine the voice pipe went through the pressure hull.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #190 on: 14 May , 2009, 19:50 »

The boat isn't finished yet. The engine dial is there. There is something where the compass repeater would usually go. The shelf on top hasn't been added yet. This is good for us as it allows us to see all the way forward to the area that would later be hidden under the shelf.

Is the above dial, the angles of rudder or engine dial? As it looks more like the angles of rudder dial.

angles of rudder dial                                               engine dial
« Last Edit: 15 May , 2009, 10:10 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #191 on: 15 May , 2009, 10:16 »

Is the picture of the dial above, the angles of rudder or engine dial? As it looks more like the angles of rudder dial.

angles of rudder dial                                               engine dial

vonbulowfla

« Reply #192 on: 15 May , 2009, 10:35 »
i would say i was the engine dial . looks like it anyway. :-\

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #193 on: 16 May , 2009, 03:00 »
"Stopp" is the one that make me agree, and from Silent Hunter 3 "Kleine Fahrt" (which, yes, childishly, mafe me laugh - the audio is "Kleye-nen Faaart!"
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #194 on: 16 May , 2009, 22:59 »

Added the attack periscope to the Conning tower today. I only had 3 pictures to work from. Any feedback, things I have miss or any pictures of the attack periscope within Conning tower would be great  :)