Poll

Your war time U-boot?

Type VII
4 (57.1%)
Type IX
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Finish submarine studies  (Read 1831 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Finish submarine studies
« on: 29 Jan , 2010, 16:51 »
The year is 1942 you have just finish submarine studies at a naval academy. You are call into the Admiral office. He tells you to sit down, and he asks you if you want to serve on a Type VII or a Type IX... You start thinking a type VII equal quick dive time but the type IX has so much more room inside. Which one would you pick?
« Last Edit: 29 Jan , 2010, 17:00 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Finish submarine studies
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan , 2010, 17:00 »
This one is a harder decision for me as I like the dive time of the Type VII but I not believe living in a small tin can....can be lot of fun. But I think I can live with the living quarter, as I like the idea to get under that surface as quickly as possible. I just feel safer under the surface, if you can not see the danger....there no danger ;D

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb , 2010, 17:47 »
Hi Again~!
I asked my father this question. He served on both types during the war. He didn't like either of them. He said the type IX was more room and at least had a cold water shower! Both Booten were dangerous and stunk after a week or so on patrol. The Germans thought of crew comfort last when designing these U-Booten.
Dan

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb , 2010, 00:04 »
Ahh, interesting! Comfort, yeah, even the Yanks with air con did it for the equipment! Thanks Dan
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz