Author Topic: Wooden decks  (Read 12995 times)

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
Re: Wooden decks
« Reply #15 on: 05 Sep , 2011, 23:00 »
Thanks for the compliment.

Okay, my regular work starts tomorrow. I teach high school, and I have six classes, one more than normal, so time will be tight. Let me order the hatch and see if it matches up roughly with the model. Going on past experiences, it should take Shapeways about three weeks to get it to me. I'll check it out and if it looks halfway decent, I'll scan an image of it, post it here and if you guys think its okay I'll then turn on the Shapeways ordering feature. I don't want you guys to order anything that ultimately looks like garbage and waste your money.

If it looks okay, then I'll start work as time permits on a large generic deck piece. I still would like those stringer spacings, though, to make it look right. Also, Shapeways can't do the bolt holes at this time. They're just too small in 1/72nd, although there are small enough micro drills that would let the modeler do it himself if one was so inclined.

Robert

whaynesmd

« Reply #16 on: 07 Sep , 2011, 17:54 »
I'm interested in everything.  Please keep us posted on anything you come up with!!

Walt

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep , 2011, 10:55 »
I forgot about Shapeways' minimum ordering charge, which is more than the wooden deck hatches would cost. Any suggestions on quick and simple stuff I could CAD draw really fast for the Gato to add to the mix to meet the minimum ordering charge? More hatches? Deck furniture? Deck gun bases? Chocks?

First person with an idea I have the plans for wins!

EDIT: I came up with this. Its an antennae lead in from page 19 of the Floating Drydock's Plan Book. Could you guys check the dimensions and the like? Any suggestions on what needs to be changed? I'm still not quite sure that the conical section looks quite long enough, although my CAD program says the dimensions match up.  The size of the hex bolts was guesstimated since I don't have that in my mass of plans. Am I missing any obvious details? I left the "nose" of the piece undone as I wasn't totally sure how the leads attached. I've seen some where a large hex nut did the trick, but others where there's a mass of "gunk there holding the wire, so I thought I'd leave that to modeler's discretion. Shapeways says its printable in 1/72nd scale for about $1.50 USD in their cheapest medium, and a tad over $5 USD in frosted ultra detail, a better, more detailed medium. I may consider changing the orientation of a few of the hex bolts to make them look more randomly applied and tightened.  Again, let me know.

One more little item and I should be able to make their minimum order. Ideas?

Robert
« Last Edit: 11 Sep , 2011, 11:57 by aptivaboy »

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep , 2011, 18:38 »
Holy crap, they says its printable!!!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/331740/generic_deck_piece__30_inch_frames__in_1_72_scale.html?gid=ug

I tried uploading a PDF but the file is too large.

I used a width of about 71 slats, since that's what my Bluegill plans showed was the proper number at maximum beam, if I counted correctly. An odd number was used since the centerline split a slat. The stringers appear to have been placed as per the ship's frames, as was quite properly suggested earlier and which I was too dense to pick up on, dummy me. This is the 30 inch version, while others were spaced at 24 inches to conform to the framing plan there. I'll work on that one, later, but my ultimate hope would be that one could just butt the 24 inch version to the 30 inch version where the real deck appeared that way. I left the slat end one one side to stick out a bit in case one wanted to use them as gluing surfaces for another deck piece. This is just an experiment, and I'll know more after the order arrives and I scan images for folks to look at. This could still all wind up in failure.

Suggestions? ideas? Obvious foul ups???

Robert

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep , 2011, 21:03 »
Shapeways says the prototype generic deck and hatches should arrive by Sep. 27. In my experience, it usually takes longer than that. When they arrive, I'll let folks know how they look and if its worthwhile to continue this experiment.

Robert

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep , 2011, 16:17 »
Hi Robert,

looking mighty good. I would say add hatches, there were quite a few really, so the more the better!

Anxiously awaiting...

Oh, for big files: use http://www.wetransfer.com. They are FREE and allow up to 2Gb. You just go there, upload files, and a msg is sent to the target/receiver, and they download.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep , 2011, 21:02 »
Thanks.

I actually think a plain, generic deck piece is better. The hatches were all over, but in different places for different boats. Its probably best - if this experiment works - for the builder to scribe them himself in a deck as appropriate for a particular boat.

By the way, does anyone know the dimensions of the bolt holes that secured the wooden slats to the stringers?
« Last Edit: 13 Sep , 2011, 21:53 by aptivaboy »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep , 2011, 03:21 »
Based on a photo of my shoe on COBIA (I put my foot in the shot as a scale ruler), screw heads, straight slot, 15mm, which in nearest imperial is 5/8ths". The holes they sit in are slightly larger than that. 65mm or 2.5" OC.

Mike K

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep , 2011, 12:18 »
I've emailed a drawing, to Wink, that might be of help.

Mike

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep , 2011, 23:38 »
Thanks Mike!

The bolts on the COBIA at present are straight slot, and those numbers seem pretty accurate (it was a good close shot of my shoe and I measured key stitching points). BUT, we don't know if correct fasteners were used and when the deck was replaced.

Thanks to Mike, we have a real plan! I'll send youa copy. It shows the bolts were originally hex head, with a 3/8ths shaft, and I make it an 11/16ths head.

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep , 2011, 13:23 »
That's awesome, thanks guys. I'll experiment with seeing if Shapeways can make a deck with bolt holes.

The bad news - they rejected my models using lesser quality, lower medium. They have to have the higher priced, ultra detail stuff. The little wooden deck hatch cover, for example, can only be printed in ultra detail medium for something over $5 USD, not the lower priced $1.50 or so, USD. The large test deck piece I linked to above is still in process, but it'll be about $15 USD in the higher priced medium, as is. Add in bolts and details and the price will go up.

I'm going to inquire around here in the states and see if there are an on-demand SLR companies that can do the work for less. I know of one that does great work but has a $150 minimum order charge, which is sort of the problem. Shapeways may not always be the best, but they're cheap and their minimum order is much less. 

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep , 2011, 03:08 »
keep us posted. for a GOOD hatch, $5, say with your trouble and postage $7 or $8, is pretty good.

whaynesmd

« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep , 2011, 15:39 »
I'm in.  Just let us know how much and when .
                                                                       Walt

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep , 2011, 06:52 »
This sucks. Today is the day the parts were supposed to be delivered.

Supposed to.

I just got an email saying the deck was rejected, even in the best medium, because they can't print pieces that small. CRAP! Nice of them to figure that out, finally. I'm going to check out another source I've got a line on and see if they can print it. so far, the only piece coming to me is the antenna thingie.

Spectre

« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep , 2011, 08:25 »
Bummer.  Thank you for continuing to try!