Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/48 U-552  (Read 22300 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: Trumpeter 1/48 U-552
« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov , 2017, 01:08 »
Cheers....

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: 23 Nov , 2017, 23:26 »
Adding rivets to forward hydroplanes guard....
Cheers

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: 06 Dec , 2017, 03:24 »
Work in progress...
Opinions and suggestions welcome...

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: 06 Dec , 2017, 12:31 »
Hi Filippo,

Looking very good, I particularly like the rivets around the diveplane support.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: 12 Dec , 2017, 05:33 »
Thanks Dougie,
I'm still working on hull, before start with assembling and superdetailing the interiors, easy to break during hull manipulating...
A question: if you look at the last two photos that I posted, it seems to me that the vents aft rudders in Trumpeter's model are too much big; I'm thinking to fill them and then re-open in smaller shape: what do you think ?
Thanks in advance for help.....

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: 12 Dec , 2017, 05:34 »
Sorry, these are the model's vents...

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: 13 Dec , 2017, 14:45 »
Hello Filippo,

I think you are right about the vents being too big on the kit. They are quite a bit too high in height.

The three vents in this area are wrong in exactly the same way as the Revell kit. Funny how two different model companies can make the very same mistake.

On the real boats there were two standard sized vents at the front, one below the other. Then there was a third one positioned farther aft which was the same height but shorter in length. This can be seen in the images below -

The Revell and Trumpeter kits are both wrong in that they both have the shorter vent at the front rather than the rear.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec , 2017, 23:24 »
Thanks Dougie,
your help is pretious for me....
The two photos that you posted are fantastic !!!! I never saw them before...I don't know where you find these treats, but it's so difficult to find good photos of the low hull, usually under water....
A last question: in Trumpeter's model the rudders have a strange shape of the aft edge: see the posted photos: do you think they are right ? I trust on your help.
Cheers

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: 14 Dec , 2017, 15:34 »
Hi Filippo,

Yeah, the aft edge looks really weird. From your photos it looks like there is a deep groove all along the trailing edge. Is there a big groove or am I seeing things? There should not be anything like this at the aft end of the rudder; the only thing on the real boats was a vertical weld seam.

The other issue is that there is only one horizontal weld seam. It is really hard to see the seams on real boats but the few I've seen have three horizontal weld seams (as well as two vertical seams). All three can easily be seen on the inside of the starboard rudder on the top photo I posted in my previous email from last night.

Here is another shot, although it is a very early VIIB -

I've pointed the blue arrows to show the three horizontal weld seams.

Trumpeter could have been influenced by the outside of the port rudder on U 995, which looks like it has only one horizontal weld seam. I think it is because the two others have worn away over the years. I think all three horizontal seams can be seen on the inside of both rudders in some photos of U 995 (presumably these have not worn or been sandblasted away).

If anyone has any period shots showing any weld seams please post.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: 14 Dec , 2017, 23:40 »
Thanks Dougie,
exhaustive explanation, as usual....
Now I have to see if I have to fill the groove on the aft edge of the rudders, or cut off the protrusion, according to the exact dimension of the rudders: do you have, by chance, a drawing with the dimension of rudders ? If not don't worry, I'll try to obtain in some way...
Cheers

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: 16 Dec , 2017, 05:31 »
Hi Filippo,

Here is the rudder from a schematic which should help -

If you resize and compare with the Trumpeter rudder you should see if cutting or filling is required.

I've pointed blue arrows at the corners on the rear edge. Note how they are both rounded. The corners on the early VIIB do look a bit more rounded than the other photos of VIICs for some reason, though I am not sure why this should be the case. It might be better not to round the edges too much?

Sorry I can't help with your other question.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #56 on: 16 Dec , 2017, 14:26 »
Dear Bianco

Thats what i have about the rudder .
there are two vertical weld seams i think one of the weld seams are to fix the rudder shaft into the rudder because its direct in the center of the shaft  .

First picture are from 1941 the secound are from 1942

br David

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: 16 Dec , 2017, 14:51 »
Thanks David, fantastic photos....and useful too....
I’ll take advantage of your kind help some other times.....
Cheers

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: 16 Dec , 2017, 17:03 »
Hi David,

Thanks for posting the images. The top one is a Type XB, I think it may be U 118 on the 6th September 1941.

The bottom one I think is a VIIC, this time U 302 in April 1942. There are two vertical seams as you say, both of which are not full lines but dashed. The horizontal seams are full lines. 

The IX U 534 has several dashed line seams on her rudders so the dashed lines were used on IXs, VIICs, XBs and perhaps other types too.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #59 on: 17 Dec , 2017, 05:45 »
Thanks dougie for the exact explanation of the boats .
i found this picture while i was searching pics of the sacrifial anods of the rudders on this pic you can see them realy good .
its one of the two pic i only founds of the anods .

in the red cirles ,the other pictures are how i have done them on my Hachette 1.48 scale boat .

br David