Author Topic: AFTER MARKET PARTS FOR 1/72 GATO  (Read 7700 times)

lester palifka

AFTER MARKET PARTS FOR 1/72 GATO
« on: 01 Jan , 2009, 07:59 »
Hello all.....My name is Lester and I'm a neww member to this group. I recieved a revell 1/72 gato for christmas. I would like to build it as the USS BAYA SS318 (late war) as i was a friend of the XO who was a plank owner... in fact before he passed on he sent me the commissioning plaque from BAYA along with all of his memroblia.. I also know the CO Ben Jarvis who did the last three patrols on Baya and has supplied me with his personal pics of BAYA... what I would like to know is how is the quality of the IBS bridge and the 5" 25 guns that they produce. The pictures on the web site make them looked warped.. I would like to buy these parts but before investing that kind of money I would like to hear from other people that have used thier parts. I am also considering using some of the parts that you offer here... any help would be apprciated...FYI I am a sub historian and have over 200 books on subs plus alot of memoroblia from subvets of WWII that I have known over the years...I look forward to being part of this group..

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
Re: AFTER MARKET PARTS FOR 1/72 GATO
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 09:38 »
Thats very cool that you have some personel history to add to your build. IBS is a great company that offers many good things. As you know with most GATO's things changed for each boat depending on where it was built and how often int made it in to the refits. Best thing to do is go slow, do a ton of research, and just have fun. I have learned from many people on this site, the biggest was to take my time and don't rush the build. Keep us posted on your build.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 10:37 »
first of all a warm welcome!

well.............
I'm afraid Your impression of IBS sets is right. Having a few here I have to say: details are on the soft side.
But good base for self detailing!
Prefer nautilus stuff myself.
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 11:47 »
I look forward to being part of this group..
Vice versa- welcome to AMP.
Im looking forward to your build. Looks like you own large chunk of this boat history.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 17:26 »
Welcome1

VERY nice your connection with the real boat, as Wild says!

I have not used IS products, but we'll see what comments turn up! Asking and looking at reviews is one of the best parts of the web!

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline IBS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep , 2009, 07:17 »
I have not visited this board in awhile, and I just ran into this January post. Long overdo, but to answer your questions, the pictures of the Balaos on the listings are not in built states.  My parts are designed so you can have a larger assortment option between fairwaters,yards and time frames, for a more accurate depiction of your targeted boat. The towers are heavily detailed, but I can't appease everyone's tastes. Once you get the conversion parts, how you build it and covert revell sub is going to depend on your modeling abilities, and I have no control on that end.

I have been doing this for many years now, including many and ongoing conversions, and as most of my clients know, I offer full support if they request it or need it on any of the parts and the build from start to finish.

The sets have evolved over the years, new tooling and new additions are constantly ongoing. The original molds have long been gone and many new more complex molds , sets have also increased dramatically in part quality.  Sets are taking and longer to prepare which is cutting into my own modeling time.

The website photos of the sets that are arranged with labeled bags are actual sets that were shipped to clients.  The tower themselves are de-flashed for you and are ready to build up including many of the main large parts. 5" Deck guns also come semi pre-assembled so you can get the  full rotation on the  guns, and eases construction for the modeler. My sets are more then just a tower.  I am the one that has to clear every part before its shipped. If I miss a part or its not liked I will correct it. Other then that gentlemen, I don't know what I can do for you ,best of luck .  Mario

« Last Edit: 09 Sep , 2009, 17:29 by IBS »

Mike K

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep , 2009, 14:13 »
Hi, Les, I haven't run into you since one of the Sub Regattas (NLon), back in the 90s.
For those who don't know Les, he's one of, if not THE, founder(s) of the SubCommittee.
Sorry to lay this on you, Les, but if anyone wants to talk diesel boat models, Les is THE MAN. We are very lucky to have him here.
And, Les, I'm out in Phoenix, now, and one of the Sub Vets, here, was one of Baya's skippers.

Mike K.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep , 2009, 03:24 »
Well, I was pretty impressed before, but now, WOW! (and this comin from another extremely impressive feelow and all-around Aces guy, Mike).

Thanks Guys. There will be questions...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz