Author Topic: Bow diving tank and drainage holes  (Read 883 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Bow diving tank and drainage holes
« on: 27 Apr , 2017, 23:52 »
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to understand the conformation of bow diving tank ( also called Ballast Tank n. 5 in many drawings ); in the available plans, as the drawing I posted ( from " The Type VII U- Boat Anatomy of the ship " by David Westwood ), this tank ( called "V" in the drawing D8/10 ) spans including the drainage slots ( n. 8 in the drawing D8/10 ) for free flooding of the lower forward casing.
The question is: the watertight conformation of bow diving tank can not include the drainage slots, so, probably, there were some bulkheads on diving tank that confined the slots outside the tank: is it correct ?
Can someone give a drawing that explains the shape of this tank, maybe in section view ?
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Bow diving tank and drainage holes
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr , 2017, 13:09 »
Filippo, I am no expert on the tanks (Tore, Don or Maciek – will be able to be you right), but the vents should be at the bottom of the tank to be able to drain the tank. There should be a high pressures line going to the tank to blow the water out and a vent at the top from the tank to let air out and the water into the tank.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2 on: 01 May , 2017, 09:12 »

Filippo.
Two of the main ballasttanks, no 1 and 5 have no kingstons  (bottom floodvalves)  and have only free flood gates in the bottom. For the bow section you have a number of tanks, apart from MBT 5, the bow buoyancytank and the forepeak tank shown on my image below. The buoyancy tank is not a ballasttank and do not participate in the diving allthough it has a vent and a LP airblowingconnection. This is meant to improve the surface condition, reducing the pitching and the forepeak is a kind of small collision buffer.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2017, 00:33 by tore »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 01 May , 2017, 23:41 »
Thanks Tore and NZSnowman...