Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572891 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3780 on: 27 Sep , 2017, 16:37 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I uploaded the latest version of "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M + I.pdf" to my Dropbox account and I uploaded a new "Image File" folder with all the images 001 - 768, each image has the page number referenced.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3781 on: 27 Sep , 2017, 20:27 »
Is page 46 new? I can’t remember seeing it before.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3782 on: 28 Sep , 2017, 02:04 »
Hi Mark,

No page 46 is not new... Strange that you should ask?

I just made a correction to page 46 while doing a review...

The RED needle is pointing to the second gradicule on the RED scale on the differential manometer pressure gauge. This means the Q Tank has a positive differential pressure of 2 atü above the outboard pressure. The U-Boat Diving Regulations Manual No. 381 requires action to be taken because there is a possibility of a ruptured Q Tank if not vented immediately. Q Tank was designed with knee structures to resist external compression forces, but not internal expansion forces.

I changed the word from blowing to vented...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3783 on: 28 Sep , 2017, 05:32 »
Just imagine if they had this wrong in the original manual  ;D

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3784 on: 28 Sep , 2017, 14:35 »
Hi Mark,

No, that was just my dumb error...  There was no manual showing the Differential Manometer, so I improvised. A few years ago, I confused the words blowing and venting! that's why I'm going back and reviewing Skizzenbuch again. I made lots of errors in the beginning...

Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3785 on: 01 Oct , 2017, 13:04 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Page 109 had the following sentence...

"Hence, the Junkers internal and external exhaust casing in the aft torpedo room has a shut and well seated grinding valve plate and a shut external flap valve located in the external Junkers exhaust casing which provides a double water barrier and preventing a water intrusion into the Junkers exhaust and cylinder chamber."

There is no grinding valve plate, so I changed it to...

"Hence, the Junkers internal and external exhaust casing in the aft torpedo room has a water trap located between the external/internal exhaust valves and the compressor’s air intake to impede sea water intrusion into the Junkers exhaust and cylinder chamber.

Does this change meet with your approval?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3786 on: 04 Oct , 2017, 00:17 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I have uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to my Dropbox folder.  I have corrected the Prologue (20 pages) and the first 175 pages thus far. It may take me a few weeks or so to complete my review.  If anyone sees a problem anywhere in Skizzenbuch, then please let me know and I will make the necessary corrections.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3787 on: 14 Oct , 2017, 21:43 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I was wondering if you had any photos or drawings showing the gate valves on the common air venting trunk for FBT 2 and FBT 4? Was there enough room below the wooden deck and the fairly small metal deck door to have an attached hand wheel to open/shut the gate valves. or was the hand wheel just removed?

See attached photo...

I can see where there would be space for  the FBT 2 residual gate valve hand wheels could be present...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 14 Oct , 2017, 21:47 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3788 on: 14 Oct , 2017, 23:34 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I was wondering if you had any photos or drawings showing the gate valves on the common air venting trunk for FBT 2 and FBT 4? Was there enough room below the wooden deck and the fairly small metal deck door to have an attached hand wheel to open/shut the gate valves. or was the hand wheel just removed?

See attached photo...

I can see where there would be space for  the FBT 2 residual gate valve hand wheels could be present...

Regards,
Don_

Hi Don

The gate valves for FBT 2 and FBT 4, never had a hand wheel, this was an old mistake on my 2D drawing that Tore and I noted.

Also the hatches you have arrow are not the hatch cover for gate valves. The hatches you are talking about are the next ones forwards.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3789 on: 14 Oct , 2017, 23:41 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

See attached photo...

Regards,
Don_

Below you are see the two hatches for the gate valves.

This images has been resized. Click to view original image.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3790 on: 14 Oct , 2017, 23:48 »

You can see above that a handle slotted into the hex reset on top of the cover. The hatch cover is angled because there is not room under the decking for the gate valve.

Do sure what the handle look like, sorry  :'(
« Last Edit: 14 Oct , 2017, 23:55 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3791 on: 14 Oct , 2017, 23:51 »

Here are the real hatches on U-826  :)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3792 on: 15 Oct , 2017, 01:42 »
Hi Simon and Mr. Tore,

U-826 was commissioned on 11 May 1944 and probably one of the last Type VII C's  built.  It looks like the RFO /Water Ballast gate valves can be open/shut without opening any metal doors on the deck.

How about the earlier Type VII C's...  I have attached a plan for U-552 which was commissioned on 4 December 1940.  I have marked where I believe the gate valves are accessed for FBT 2, and I have also marked what I believe to be the access doors for the FBT 4 gate valves.

See attached drawing,
Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 15 Oct , 2017, 02:25 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3793 on: 15 Oct , 2017, 02:31 »
Don, as seen in http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=921.msg20817#msg20817 if they are the hatches for FBT 2 gate valves they would have the worng frame number.

I will try to post pictures of FBT 4 hatches tomorrow.

As for the earlier Type VIIC's, if you look hard enough you will see them on most boats. The only thing I have noted is that on the some late war Type VIIC/41 they sometime used a wooden hatch.

Early Type VII's with hatch.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3794 on: 16 Oct , 2017, 02:09 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Simon,

I now know the FBT 2 and FBT 4 gate valves never had hand-wheels because there is no space below the wooden deck.  I think it was possible for the FBT 2 residual gate valves to have hand-wheels, but most likely they were removed to keep the change-over process as uncomplicated as possible.

I have attached one of Simon's drawings and a photo where it looks like there is a hole in the wooden deck to provide access to the gate valve towards the center of the deck.  What do you all think?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD