Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572655 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3765 on: 09 Sep , 2017, 12:32 »
MY last photo...
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3766 on: 09 Sep , 2017, 13:38 »
Don.
Amazing garden, way out the wilderness where we are living. We are just in the final stage of harvesting, primarily, mushrooms and berries before shutting up the farm for the winter. The last item is very complex as i have to drain about a mile waterpipe, washing machine and dishwasher, internal waterpipes etc etc. Plus filling up the waterlocks with antifreeze and blow all the pipes by compressed air before eveything goes into winter freezer. Hope to be able to return to the civilization and proper broadband by end this month. In the meantime the moose hunting has started in our forest and it is safer to stay at the farm enjoying the autumn colours.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3767 on: 18 Sep , 2017, 16:39 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Can you tell me what these markings on the hull casing and on the saddle tanks are representing?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3768 on: 18 Sep , 2017, 17:45 »
The roman numbers fit to the number of the MBTs at this position.
The marking V is where MBT 5 is and III is where MBT 3 is located at.

(but of course I have no idea what it really is  :) )

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3769 on: 19 Sep , 2017, 01:08 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Simon and I have been discussing the Kingston valves in the saddle tanks.  I have a very good photo of U-99 and the Kingstons look to be almost square. However, the Kingstons look quite different on U-995???

Did the Germans need to rebuild the saddle tanks during the restoration?  See the images below:

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3770 on: 19 Sep , 2017, 01:11 »
Hi Mark,

You know, sometimes I believe my brain goes out on one of those senior tours.  It looks like you are correct.. Those would have been added when they restored U-995 for the museum.

Thanks,
Don_
« Last Edit: 19 Sep , 2017, 01:15 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3771 on: 19 Sep , 2017, 01:44 »
Hi Don and Mark.
As mention many times before, the museum U 995 do not show the real U 995 and I can not remember the markings in question. I checked with the limited documentation I currently have access to and I guess the markings are related to the alteration to the hull, making the museums version. The markings were not on the hull at the arrival Kiel from Norway, the first time I noticed the markings was when the hull was placed on its concrete bed at Laboe and having access doors for the visitors. As to the Kingstons for MBT3 they are indeed rectangular, but welded shut for security reasons, as the fore free flood gates in the casing. It is possible to crawl into MBT 3 through the Kingstons, I have done it myself, and to climb on the casing side using the free flood gates as step holes ( which I have not done). My image below shows the story.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3772 on: 19 Sep , 2017, 03:38 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I found the location of a plate for access to the MBT 3 air shaft.  This was pointed out (fold-out schematic in the back of the book) in the U-Boat Archive Series Volume 7 – REPORT ON U-570 – H.M.S. GRAPH…

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 19 Sep , 2017, 03:48 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3773 on: 21 Sep , 2017, 00:04 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have been reviewing Skizzenbuch and I made what I believe is a correction to the lower right drawing on page 350.  I had the "Emergency Shut-Off Valves" swinging outward. I believe the valve truss structure was designed for the valves to swing inward. Do you agree?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3774 on: 21 Sep , 2017, 01:40 »
Hi Don.
I am in my car for a two days trip. My first impression is that your correction is OK. Reverting tomorrow. Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3775 on: 21 Sep , 2017, 23:43 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Do you know if the MBT 3 Emergency Shut-Off valve heads are round or rectangular like the Kingstons valves for the Saddle Tanks? The uhistoria.com drawing sort of looks like they may be rectangular, but I'm not sure after talking with Simon...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3776 on: 22 Sep , 2017, 05:32 »
Don. I guess the emergency shut off vents for the MBT3 ventingducts are swinging inwards for open position. Further I would guess the venting valvediscs  are circular.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3777 on: 22 Sep , 2017, 23:13 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have been updating the uhistoria.com drawing by labeling all the frames.  I noticed that FBT 2 and FBT 4 do not extend to the full end of the taper.

FBT 2 starts at a taper and extends to frame A24 and then the tank extends to D34
FBT 4 starts at D46 and then the tank extends to D62 and then the tapered area continues for a few frames
See my attached drawing...

It looks like the tapered ends are not part of the Fuel/Water Ballast system. I have a photo of what looks to be a late Type VII C, or Type VII C/41 where there seems to be 3 vent holes in the tapered area of FBT 2 at the bottom side of the tank. I have not see this on other Type VII U-Boats; was this modification documented anywhere?

See my attached photo...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 22 Sep , 2017, 23:17 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3778 on: 23 Sep , 2017, 12:14 »
Don. You are rigth the fairings of the MBT2 and 4are not a part of the sadletanks volume. They are only plates for streamlining the ends of the tanks. I cannot explain the floodgates on your image but having checked my files of VIICs and VIIC/41s there are no such floodgates. On the museum VIIC they have made a few slots at the bottom of the tanks with a dripnose, this was never on the original U 995 or KNM Kaura.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3779 on: 23 Sep , 2017, 16:01 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I corrected all the FBT 2 and FBT 4 drawings in Skizzenbuch to reflect the forward and aft fairings which are not part of the fuel/ballast tanks. The latest version of Skizzenbuch is in my Dropbox folder...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD