Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572663 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
The lower picture is a try to show the opened ballast tank bottomflapvalves with double valverods.
Tore 

TopherVIIC

Tore -
I have a question for you about the KNM Kaura - when standing topside on deck, looking down to the torpedo loading hatches, were there bulkheads, perhaps with limber holes, boxing in the hatch and well, or was it open framework? Do you have any pics of that area of the ship?
I found this picture of the White Ensign Models brass PE set, but would like to know if the loading well on Kaura looked like that.
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/images/wembrass/wempe7211.jpg
Also, was the snort well boxed in as well, or was there just framework supporting the deck around the snort.
Thanks!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 01 Feb , 2012, 10:54 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore -
I have a question for you about the KNM Kaura - when standing topside on deck, looking down to the torpedo loading hatches, were there bulkheads, perhaps with limber holes, boxing in the hatch and well, or was it open framework? Do you have any pics of that area of the ship? Also, was the snort well boxed in as well, or was there just framework supporting the deck around the snort.
Thanks!
Christopher
Christopher
I don`t think there were any bulheads, but as usual on subs to strengthen the pressure hull,  where you had a weak spot as the case for the torpedoloadinghatches (oval openings), you put in case of the VIIC`s strengthening beams resting in racks adjoining the frames. I as far as I remember the hatchhole was cut through two frames thus we had two 150-160 mm round bars which were put in having a clearance of approximately 20 mm. I checked the clearance  once on a deepdive , 100m , and the clearances at the rods was then 0.
I`m sorry I cannot find any pictures on the subject in my files.
Tore
The snort recess in the deck was not a box but as you say casingdeck supports.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb , 2012, 10:57 by tore »

TopherVIIC

Tore - It seems I was trying to add a picture I found at the same time you answered me!

So you don't recall anything like this surrounding the torpedo loading hatch below the working deck?
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Tore, yes a very fine looking ship  :) :)

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore - It seems I was trying to add a picture I found at the same time you answered me!

So you don't recall anything like this surrounding the torpedo loading hatch below the working deck?
Christopher
Ah now I get the question rigth. I am at a loss to  understand this WEM PE set. I was never involved in the torpedoloading. To me it doesn`t looks like any pressurehullpart but as you say a box immedeately under the deck having floodgates. I am at a loss to explain the purpose of this and cannot recall ever to have seen it.
Tore

TopherVIIC

I understood what you meant about the round bars and the clearance. It is interesting to me that at 100 meters the pressure hull would compress a measurable amount like that!
But I have always wondered at the torpedo loading "box". Its frame proportions do not make any sense compared to standard VIIC and VIIC41 drawings. I am at a point where I need to design that area of my boat, so I can build the frames and pressure hull, but I want it to be as realistic as possible.
I also must design and build the well where the top head of the snort rests when it is stowed, and want that as realistic as possible also - I think there are enough pics of U-995/KNM Kaura of that area though.
Thank you once again! :-)
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
I understood what you meant about the round bars and the clearance. It is interesting to me that at 100 meters the pressure hull would compress a measurable amount like that!
But I have always wondered at the torpedo loading "box". Its frame proportions do not make any sense compared to standard VIIC and VIIC41 drawings. I am at a point where I need to design that area of my boat, so I can build the frames and pressure hull, but I want it to be as realistic as possible.
I also must design and build the well where the top head of the snort rests when it is stowed, and want that as realistic as possible also - I think there are enough pics of U-995/KNM Kaura of that area though.
Christopher
Christopher I just had a look around and on the 1.72 kit of Czech Masters U-Boot VIIC winch loading torpedoes is a cutaway drawing showing the area between the casing deck and pressurehull at the forward topedoloading hatch. It`s an artist`s impression but the czech are usually very correct at the details. On this drawing I cannot see any casingbox. Have a look.
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
Christopher
Christopher I just had a look around and on the 1.72 kit of Czech Masters U-Boot VIIC winch loading torpedoes is a cutaway drawing showing the area between the casing deck and pressurehull at the forward topedoloading hatch. It`s an artist`s impression but the czech are usually very correct at the details. On this drawing I cannot see any casingbox. Have a look.
Tore 
Snortmastrecess. I think the recess was adopted to the type of snortmast fitted on the sub. You may see something on my picture of the snortmast with electropneumatic head which had a tailormade recess. So I guess you have to decide which snortmast you`ll go for before looking for details.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
 Tore, is correct. From my research every boat that has a recess in the deck for the Schnorchel mast was different. There seen to be no standard layout for the recess. Most recess follow the Schnorchel head profile, however, some are just a square shape.

Offline tore

• Tore
A Fine looking ship Sir!
Thanks, but it isn`t much compared to what you guys are doing. I think possibly it is one if not the only VIIC/41 in the norwegian version which is the speciality rather than anyhting else. I have ordered a glass showcase designed by me without frames where I am going to install a ledstrip illumination before I put it in the Captains Corner in my sittingroom

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Q: Floor plating

Tore, was the floor plating in the engine room painted black or was it unpainted?

Offline tore

• Tore

Tore, was the floor plating in the engine room painted black or was it unpainted?
I `m almost sure it was unpainted
Tore
« Last Edit: 01 Feb , 2012, 14:37 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia

Tore

Thanks  :) :)

Tore, in some very rare original war time photographs of the engine room, I have seen a mat running the full length between the two diesel engines. Did you used a mat in the walkway between the diesel engines?

Q: Colour

Was the framing painted within the engines room?

Offline tore

• Tore

Tore

Thanks  :) :)

Tore, in some very rare original war time photographs of the engine room, I have seen a mat running the full length between the two diesel engines. Did you used a mat in the walkway between the diesel engines?

Q: Colour

Was the framing painted within the engines room?
Normally we didn`t have any mats on the floorplating. I guess in wartime sometimes you would have something like an oilresistant rubbermat because the plating had a tendency to make substantial noise, particulary when people are rushing to their battle/divingstations As I previously have stated, noise is the subs worst enemy, hence rubbershocks mountings, rubbercovered tools and robbermats on the floorplatings.
Tore
« Last Edit: 01 Feb , 2012, 23:59 by tore »