Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572765 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3735 on: 24 Jul , 2017, 00:43 »
Hi Don,
excellent news....
I would like to have a classic paper book, but a free download printable file is maybe better, mostly in this economic crisis with few money circulating.....
Let us informed about the date of extimated availability of the file.
Respect to you and to all the book's authors....
Filippo

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3736 on: 29 Jul , 2017, 00:41 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Dougie Martindale has provide me with some historical Info where I had incorrect info for several U-Boat photos.

I made corrections to the following pages:

127, 151, 170, 181, 210, 378, 440, and 446.

Also, Dougie has graciously said he would create replacement maps for pages 436 and 437. I may have a legal issue using Google Maps.

I still have an open issue on page 210 - The pitot tubes were underneath the bow torpedo tubes up through the U-Boat Type VII B. They were moved form underneath the bow torpedo tubes on the U-Boat Type VII C and beyond. The only issue I have is; where were the pitot tube/tubes located on the Type VII C U-Boat? Obviously, they must be below the waterline, and I can visualize - If a U-Boat Type VII B is sitting on the bottom, then the pitot tubes could get damaged, or plugged with debris (thus a good reason for the relocation).

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 29 Jul , 2017, 00:54 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3737 on: 29 Jul , 2017, 02:10 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I just uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch into my Dropbox folder...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3738 on: 30 Jul , 2017, 23:49 »
Hi Filippo,

Dougie Martindale has written the following:
http://amp.rokket.biz/docs/u-boat_colours_with_photos_5.pdf

U552 netcutters were removed between March and April 1941. For an accurate info to modellers about Type VII modifcations: [amp.rokket.biz] scroll down to "U-BOATS: Type VII Modifications" an awesome work by Dougie Martindale

Plus,
http://u-552.blogspot.com/2008/07/outside-of-ct.html

I hope this helps...  Skizzenbuck doesn't get into the details about specific U-Boats. I attempt to explain how everything works internally and externally.

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3739 on: 05 Aug , 2017, 20:08 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

It is my sad duty to inform you all that I have received an email this morning from Maciek Florek's wife, Olga Florek, that he had recently passed away. I will truly miss my very dear friend. However, a friendship is forever, so I look forward to seeing Maciek later!

Kind regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3740 on: 05 Aug , 2017, 20:12 »
I’m really shocked. He was such a great Uboat enthusiast with awesome projects. He was one of those I hoped to work with in the future.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug , 2017, 20:22 by VIC20 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3741 on: 05 Aug , 2017, 23:12 »
Hi Don, if the file is available in your Dropbox folder, how can I have access to it ? Or it is still in preparation and not available for download ?

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3742 on: 06 Aug , 2017, 01:29 »
Hi all, I realized now the content of the message about Maciek: I didn't know him, but I'm so sad for the lost of an U-Boat enthusiast.....

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3743 on: 06 Aug , 2017, 07:28 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

It is my sad duty to inform you all that I have received an email this morning from Maciek Florek's wife, Olga Florek, that he had recently passed away. I will truly miss my very dear friend. However, a friendship is forever, so I look forward to seeing Maciek later!

Kind regards,
Don_

Very sorry to learn the bad news, Maciek was a man of great VIIC knowledges, yet very modest in promoting his theories. It was a pleasure getting to know him and exchanging ideas as well as theories on the VIICs. Maciek, on my last post to you:  R.I.P.
Tore

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3744 on: 06 Aug , 2017, 15:00 »
Hello everyone,

Thank you, Don, for informing us of this dreadful news. Maciek was always very helpful and kind and I have been particularly appreciative of his help in my U 47 book. Without doubt he was a highly respected expert in his field. As a talented researcher, he was kind enough to share his comprehensive knowledge with us. He will be very sadly missed by us all.

If anyone is not aware, Maciek is the author of the Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project, which can be viewed here -

http://www.tvre.org/en/home-page

He also wrote the following page -

http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/en/u-boats/equipment/torpedo-tubes-of-german-u-boats

Best regards to all,

Dougie

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3745 on: 06 Aug , 2017, 17:02 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I have uploaded my latest version of Skizzenbuch into my Dropbox folder... I only changed page II and made a few spelling corrections.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3746 on: 07 Aug , 2017, 01:51 »
Hi Don,
excuse me for my insistence, but I don't understand if you uploaded the file Skizzenbuck on your Dropbox folder just for the insiders, or if it's vailable for all interested on U-Boats....
Consider that I have not any experience of Dropbox....
Thanks in advance for answer.
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3747 on: 07 Aug , 2017, 10:22 »
Hello Filippo,

I (The Managing Editor) had four (4) contributors to Skizzenbuch; Mr. Tore (The Main Expert), Maciek (Now Deceased Expert), Simon (Art Work), and Mark (Help with German Text Translation). Anytime I make a change to Skizzenbuch, I notify my contributors so they may review the content in my Dropbox folder and suggest any needed corrections or changes. This is the process that we have followed for over three (3) years while I have written/managed Skizzenbuch.

Skizzenbuch is not a released book as of yet... Currently, I sent a book proposal to the Naval Institute Press, but I am not naive about the prospects. So I have two (2) alternative plans as well; publish the book on my own or distribute the book as a encrypted PDF free over the internet. The most expensive option for me is the free PDF file over the internet because of the cost of the encryption software. I will not allow Skizzenbuch to be changed without my control of the content!

So, this is where I stand on the distribution of Skizzenbuch to date! I believe that "Skizzenbuck: U-Boat Type VII C Project" is about finished and very few changes will occur after today. I am in a situation where I am waiting on a Publisher's decision, or if that fails; I must come up with the cash needed for one of my other two (2) options.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3748 on: 07 Aug , 2017, 21:28 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have a question for my own personal knowledge about resupplying fuel and lub oil to the U-Boat.
1. I assume they can use the resupplying port's pumping pressure, or use the U-Boats Aux lub oil pump to fill the lub oil tanks.
2. Do they press lub oil through the diesel engines, or do they fill the lub oil tanks by pressing clean lub oil through the diesel engine's normal supply lines?

Last question...  My U-570 Plate 9  (fuel oil) and Plate 14 (lub Oil) show the filling lines on the port side. However, the attached photos and Simon's drawings show the U-Boat accepting the resupply on the starboard side.  Are the plates wrong?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3749 on: 08 Aug , 2017, 01:21 »

Don.
I am right now up in the mountain for a couple of days under slight pressure of my wife to  attend som Plays, thus limited access to my papers.
However the lube oil of the VIIC GW engines without lubeoil centrifuges are based on a so called dry sump principle which means each mainengine has generally its own separate system with system tank. Normally you don`t fill up the systemtanks directly by shore supply, you top up or fill the lubeoil storage tanks I or II (port &stb) and take a possible luboil supply to the system tanks from the storagetanks.  In case of need you can indeed use the aux luboil/fueltransferpump to distribute the oil internally.
You never take fresh luboil from ashore directly through the engines, always to the storage tanks through the course filters.
As to the lubeoil filling pipe, I  guess the external hose filling cap is slightly to the starboard almost on the top of the presurehull. The downpipe inside the pressurehull follows the starboard side of the fore enginroom bulkhead door and the coursefilter ( nuts and bolts) underneath the floorplate starboard side having a crossover to the valvestchest on the port side. So use Simons drawings as far as I remember they are correct. I`ll revert as soon as I can find my images.
Tore