Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572965 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3705 on: 23 May , 2017, 00:54 »
Hi Don,

regarding the post-war ejector: I think we should use term 'signal ejector' (as in the Oberon type sub manual) instead of 'bold ejector'. The signal ejector was used to indicate the position of submarine by means of flare (at parachute) or smoke. So ejecting the cartidge by means of compressed air was the simplest way, and the air bubbles appearing on surface were not a problem.

I think that in those times submariners did realize that Bold (being a active sonar counter-measure) was obsolete, because cold war was dominated by passive hydrophone arrays.

The Bold type counter-measures were later developed into torpedo decoys.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3706 on: 23 May , 2017, 02:19 »
Hi Maciek,

I agree...  It looks like they took the bold ejector like the one that was installed into the Wilhelm Bauer Type XXI and modified it for the use as an emergency signal ejector, and they don't bother to capture the launching compressed air.

Regards,
Don_

A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3707 on: 23 May , 2017, 02:56 »

Don
I guess Maciek got it right.  During my submarine training ( early 1953) the device was only briefly mentioned and named SSE (submarine signal ejector) and as far as I remember not installed in RN submarines before the new O class which in my time was on the drawing board and very hush,hush. We only learned about a "bubble decoy" which as far as I remember was like a small torpedo containing magnesia pellets generating air bubbles in contact with sea water. I guess it was launched like a torpedo. The pillenwerfer launched up to 4-5 cannisters of 10 cm diameter simultaneously resembling pills in a row hence, pillenwerfer. In my time (peacetime) we used the ejector for Veris flares to indicate torpedo firing during exercises and was handled by the torpedopeople. I think in the beginning (my time) the ejection was done by air not bothering by the bubbles. Today the SSE is developed to a complex device by the Nato navies which are totally different from the pillenwerfer. I don`t think the todays SSE has anything to do in a Skizzenbuch for the VIIC.

Tore
« Last Edit: 23 May , 2017, 03:24 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3708 on: 23 May , 2017, 16:53 »
Hello Mr. Tore, Maciek, and All,

I updated Skizzenbuch with the info about our final discussions concerning the "Ejector" for emergency signals in U-995's aft torpedo room upper hull.

MY latest version of Skizzenbuch is in my Dropbox folder...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3709 on: 23 May , 2017, 23:20 »
Hi Don,
excuse me for the request: can you post the link to your Dropbox folder ? Is it available to anyone ? ( I never used Dropbox, and so I'm not very versed on it...).
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3710 on: 24 May , 2017, 03:12 »
Hello Filippo,

"Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" has not been finalized yet and I rely on Mr. Tore and Maciej to proof read the book and provide corrections and suggestions. However, I can state that it is very close to finalization...

Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project - 503 pages in an 11 x 17 inch format with an Appendix of 7 large pull-out document/schematic sheets

I had a contract with Schiffer Publishing to print the book, but they backed out in January of this year. If I end up with no publisher, or no internet sponsor, then I will purchase software to copy protect the Skizzenbuch PDF file from any unauthorized changes, and also an LLC to protect me. At that point, I may provide a copy protected file with an embedded reader to many of the U-Boat websites for distribution, including this one.

Maciej Florek has translated many U-Boat related manuals and documents for years, and we all have had the great fortune to see and download his excellent work.

Also, Dougie Martindale has provided U-Boat docmentation on the interned for years for us to enjoy, and I understand that Dougie is working on a book that he would like to see published. I believe his chances are excellent because of his knowledge on the subject, and it would be in a publisher's standard book size format.

Kind Regards,
Don
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3711 on: 24 May , 2017, 03:19 »
Hi Maciej,

I must apologize... Ever since you translated my U-Boat Type VII C manual for the uboatarchive.net, I have been typing your first name as Maciek like it was written above the manual credits. I have been wrong all these years and you didn't correct me?

I guess my first name would be Dumb and not Don?

I will need to make this correction is Skizzenbuch...

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3712 on: 24 May , 2017, 04:03 »
Thanks Don,
I did'nt knew anything of what you told, and I heard now the ( right ) intention of publishing all thing in a book.
Obviously, I'm really interested to buy that book, or the PDF files if it will not possible to print a book.
I'm looking forward to see any news about that...
Thanks.
Filippo

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3713 on: 24 May , 2017, 08:32 »
Hi Don,

your first name is absolutely Don.

My first name officially is Maciej (used in documents and so on). However, the other form (maybe not diminutive, because it is not shorter) is Maciek, used by family and friends (because all you guys from this forum I consider as friends).

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3714 on: 24 May , 2017, 13:28 »
Hi Maciek (My Friend),

I will not change the spelling of your first name in Skizzenbuck, unless you would prefer the Official Document spelling. It's not a big deal to make that change, I just a search and replace in 5 of the word documents and then join the 9 PDF files to create the Skizzenbuck 11 x 17 - M + I.PDF file.

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3715 on: 31 May , 2017, 19:49 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Maciek provided me with a photo of U-995 taken in 1965.  There is no Junkers air compressor in the aft torpedo room, and the emergency signal ejector is installed in the upper pressure hull...  Therefore, when the Germans restored U-995, they installed a Junkers air compressor, but I don't believe there is an exhaust or HP air connection.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3716 on: 01 Jun , 2017, 02:46 »
Don.
I guess this confirms our assumption. Somehow after 1955 the Junker was removed. In 1953- 1954 for sure the Junker was in place although not very frequently in use. As far as I remember we had to clean the dieselpistons every 75 hours due to carbonization causing unballance vibrations, no wonder they removed it.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3717 on: 01 Jun , 2017, 08:33 »
Hi Don,

maybe you will find this photo interesting. It presents loading torpedo to the aft torpedo tube of U 564.
The Junkers compressor, as well as part of exhaust duct and two exhaust valves are visible.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3718 on: 01 Jun , 2017, 09:19 »
Hi Maciek.
Interesting photos it looks as if they used the pressurehull opening for the Junker outer  exhaustvalve for the SSE.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3719 on: 02 Jun , 2017, 15:43 »
Hi Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I added the images to Skizzenbuch page 98 and the latest in in Dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD