Author Topic: Forward crew section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 43259 times)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
Forward crew section VII / 3D model / 1/72
« on: 26 Jan , 2012, 09:55 »
Cheers guys!

Sorry that ive been off for so long. Unfortunately i had loads of work and could not reach modeling, and my modeling desk got confiscated by my girlfriend, so actually everything was on halt since my last post. I also separated the topics of the design and the actual kit build, solely for procedure order and clarity.

Finally i could start the design on the interior, here is the very first part. The design analogy will follow the CMK's sets since they have their design style, and since i would alter it it would be visible that somehow the sets don't get together. This calls for minor deviation from original, but anyways some adjustments are needed due to scale and simplification. However, i would highly appreciate any photos, films, book titles, articles from newspapers, anything what would help on the design accuracy. since CMK made the majority, i will design only the forward crew section with radio/sonar room and toilette? + rear torpedo room, and maybe even the tower interior. I think everything rest has already been done, correct me if i'm wrong :)

the very first part that has been made is the bed guard which prevents falling off in the rough seas. So, the voyage begins!

by the way, part looks huge here, however it is long 22,27 mm, 6.3 mm wide and 0.13 mm thin

in the meantime i finished the small valve, the 3.7 mm in diameter, thickness same as before; 0.13

any advices or critics are welcome, help me make those parts the best as possible. The very first test print will be made as soon as i finish the valves, and the frame for the parts.

cheers,
Marko
« Last Edit: 13 May , 2012, 09:10 by Marko »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Design the interior of the VII/c
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 14:24 »
looking good!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 14:43 »
I was thinking in the wrong scale! Looks like a good start! :-)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 06:19 »
Cheers guys!

Sorry that ive been off for so long. Unfortunately i had loads of work and could not reach modeling, and my modeling desk got confiscated by my girlfriend, so actually everything was on halt since my last post. I also separated the topics of the design and the actual kit build, solely for procedure order and clarity.

Finally i could start the design on the interior, here is the very first part. The design analogy will follow the CMK's sets since they have their design style, and since i would alter it it would be visible that somehow the sets don't get together. This calls for minor deviation from original, but anyways some adjustments are needed due to scale and simplification. However, i would highly appreciate any photos, films, book titles, articles from newspapers, anything what would help on the design accuracy. since CMK made the majority, i will design only the forward crew section with radio/sonar room and toilette? + rear torpedo room, and maybe even the tower interior. I think everything rest has already been done, correct me if i'm wrong :)

the very first part that has been made is the bed guard which prevents falling off in the rough seas. So, the voyage begins!

by the way, part looks huge here, however it is long 22,27 mm, 6.3 mm wide and 0.13 mm thin

in the meantime i finished the small valve, the 3.7 mm in diameter, thickness same as before; 0.13

any advices or critics are welcome, help me make those parts the best as possible. The very first test print will be made as soon as i finish the valves, and the frame for the parts.

cheers,
Marko
Hi marko!
I`m fairly new in this forum and is not really sure how much details you are after, I beg for excuse if I`m submitting obvious infos for you. The arrangement for for this section you`ll find belove. The Co`s quarter could be shut off all the way by a green curtain.The wardroom was usually arranged in such way that the junior officers bunks were folded down as a bench accommodating 2(3).
The EO`s bunk was the lower and No1`s on the top.  Towards the stb. hullside between the FW tanks and bunks  were storagelockers. The stb bunks did not have any bunkguards, both bunks had dark green curtains and a small brass reading lamp above the head on fwd bulkhead.On the aft stb. cupboardwall was placed a small folding writingtable, The woodwork was light naturalcoloured oak.The WC had a tiny washbasin on fwd. bulhead. This WC was only for officers and chief PO. As you for sure know the ratings WC was on the stb side in the galley. The bunks not used for benches were usually made and the bunkclothes were wowen in a blue and white checkedpattern sligthly less than 2x2 cm.
Your bunkguarddesign is a little strange to me, the lower bar seems to be "an extra" and would possibly belong to the bunk.The guards were made of rods/pipes about 25-30 mm diameter aluminium ( se picture below). If you think I can be of any help please ask.
Regards
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 09:06 »
Thank you for the additional info, i appreciate that. Currently i am using as reference pictures of the Laboe's U-995 uboot, scenes from Das Boot miniseries and naturally the interior designed by CMK, and sketches from various books that i came across. Basically i want get near CMK's style, so the additional sections wont clash each other in terms of design.

However the laser sintering procedure also has its limitations, material thickness is minimum 0.3 mm in any direction, so back to the drawing board and change dimensions, on the other hand, i could purchase some metal sheets and etch the valves and bed railings myself, or try to buy additional from CMK, if they could produce spares.

Though, im still at work now. When i get back at home ill re-dimension the parts and put them up for evaluation :)

Your bunkguarddesign is a little strange to me, the lower bar seems to be "an extra" and would possibly belong to the bunk.

indeed, the CMK designed it in this way aswell, i guess for the strength issues, since the part is very thin, so with this bar it can be glued up to the bunk substantially stiffer. Could also make it from round rods, but i think due to diameters, it could not be produced with the sintering.

regards,
Marko

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 12:44 »
Hi marko!
I`m fairly new in this forum and is not really sure how much details you are after, I beg for excuse if I`m submitting obvious infos for you. The arrangement for for this section you`ll find belove. The Co`s quarter could be shut off all the way by a green curtain.The wardroom was usually arranged in such way that the junior officers bunks were folded down as a bench accommodating 2(3).
The EO`s bunk was the lower and No1`s on the top.  Towards the stb. hullside between the FW tanks and bunks  were storagelockers. The stb bunks did not have any bunkguards, both bunks had dark green curtains and a small brass reading lamp above the head on fwd bulkhead.On the aft stb. cupboardwall was placed a small folding writingtable, The woodwork was light naturalcoloured oak.The WC had a tiny washbasin on fwd. bulhead. This WC was only for officers and chief PO. As you for sure know the ratings WC was on the stb side in the galley. The bunks not used for benches were usually made and the bunkclothes were wowen in a blue and white checkedpattern sligthly less than 2x2 cm.
Your bunkguarddesign is a little strange to me, the lower bar seems to be "an extra" and would possibly belong to the bunk.The guards were made of rods/pipes about 25-30 mm diameter aluminium ( se picture below). If you think I can be of any help please ask.
Regards
Tore

Tore, I read that the German's used cork insulation inside the U-boats along the pressure hull. Can you remember see any cork insulation inside Kaura, I think it was about 30 mm thick.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 14:56 »
Hi marko!
Regards
Tore

Tore, I read that the German's used cork insulation inside the U-boats along the pressure hull. Can you remember see any cork insulation inside Kaura, I think it was about 30 mm thick.
No we didn`t have any corkinsulation on our 3 VIIC`s. The corkinsulation was primarely used for preventing condensation on the plating towards the seaside particulary in the tropics. although we had a fairly high humidity inside, our golden buttons and stripes turned green after a while, we were not really bothered with humidity.
Regars Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 23:55 »
Marko, I forgot a very important detail on the interior of the wardroom, on the bulkhead rigth at the aft stb cupboard was a blackboard, rigth underneath in the floor was the hatch giving access to the fwd batterycompartment. Every morning the chief electrician opened the hatch and placed himself on a flat trolley keeping his nose down and in this way was able to skim the top at the batteries taking acidreadings which he carefully noted on the blackboard. With todays average mans weigth I guess they do it different.
tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan , 2012, 20:24 »
Marko-
I come from a machining background as well as an
Artistic background.
It seems to me that from a machining point of view, knowing some of what is needed to design
something like etched (cut/machined) parts, you may have a good start. As Tore mentioned, and as will I, this is a start. I do not mean in any way to short change your drawing, skills, or design goals... Quite the opposite!
Keep working and do your best to make your parts look like the real references and you will do fine.
You have started on something that may blossom into fantastically designed pieces! Keep working! It is how we all grow!
Cheers!

Christopher
« Last Edit: 29 Jan , 2012, 12:17 by TopherVIIC »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan , 2012, 11:08 »
Thank you for support. No worries, ill take the critiques in the positive way. though some modifications are inevitable due to laser sintering process. Laser beam measures 0.4mm, the geometry allows this way minimum of 0.3mm thick (thin) walls in any direction; X,Y, or Z. thats why im considering buying spares from CMK - those are approx 0.13 - 0.15 mm thick. however, ill try them get printed with the double thickness, and if it will be really off, then ill try to get some additional parts, or etch them myself (well with some help).

Now down to the business:
in case you have been wondering what's up, well i measured contours multiple times with the contour copying "comb", preparing silhouettes on a sheet of paper, scanning them, and drafting with software till i got something what i was satisfied with the fit in the hull, although i still have to double check the rear torpedo compartment front wall. By the way, there are some odd lines here and there, those are just reference lines so that i know what are maximum and minimums on the upper and lower positions :)

regards,
Marko

« Last Edit: 30 Jan , 2012, 11:34 by Marko »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 00:45 »
Love this project, good progress, waiting for more!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 05:40 »
Marco -
Is this for the Revell 1:72 Kit?

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 06:38 »
Thank you Wink  :)
Topher, indeed it is for the revell's 1/72 VII u-boats.

I did second check to the rib drawings, and since those are pretty much accurate, so i will be able to transfer them to the solids, so the external structures could be designed first in order to get the final outlines of the sections.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan , 2012, 06:44 »
looking good! I am doing a scratchbuild of a  VIIC/41 but I want to build a revell kit also. I love the many ways that people render them! Now i just need to find one. I have heard that they are re-released! Yay!

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #14 on: 07 Feb , 2012, 10:34 »
cheers,

here is a brief update, not really much, but i managed to assemble first test parts. these are designed paper-thin, and will be developed and printed onto cardstock, testglued and check for fit.
here is the front section:

these are only main outlines, floor is much too outwards comparing to CMK's sets, finer adjustments will be made after test assembly.

now i have an issue, CMK designed torpedo sections floor around 2.5 mm lower than the command compartment, the rest line up with command compartment within a minimal deviation. Was that in the actual U-boat too? Could the front crew compartment floor be sloped or inserted with a slight "step" between each rib? This design was lined up with the command compartment and has 2mm step when passing to fwd torpedo room. Any advices?

regards,
Marko