Author Topic: U-96 Revell 1:72  (Read 10138 times)

RIP

Re: U-96 Revell 1:72
« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar , 2009, 11:57 »
You are right Glenn - I suspected Your PH is fixed to fit Revell hull.
My fits... allmost ;) I have marked few places where PH needs to be fixed, I think there would be no more than hour to trim my PH.
My PH frame was about 0,5mm smaller to compensate beercan cover, but Revell hull is REALY thick... up to 3mm.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #31 on: 12 Mar , 2009, 13:03 »
You are right Glenn - I suspected Your PH is fixed to fit Revell hull.
My fits... allmost ;) I have marked few places where PH needs to be fixed, I think there would be no more than hour to trim my PH.
My PH frame was about 0,5mm smaller to compensate beercan cover, but Revell hull is REALY thick... up to 3mm.

I lost track of how many times I had to shave the section ribs to make my PH fit inside the kit hull w/o pushing it open.  It was a long & laborious process.  Such is why I published my PDF plans... I figured others might benefit from my pain!  LOL   
But yeh, it's only a rough approximation but close enough to build on.

Yeh, my thin plastic sheet is wafer-thin compared to beercan material... so things would need to be trimmed & reshaped accordingly.
In retrospect, I wish I had used heavier material that keeps its shape better.

At least our homemade attempts at a faux-PH are more properly shaped than the commercially-available resin set by Yankee Modelworks.  Their center section is almost flat on top and no inner curves for the saddletanks! Waaaaaayyyyy differenent from what a real PH would look like.  And besides, their piping doesn't line up from one section to the next.  Oh well.   :)
« Last Edit: 12 Mar , 2009, 13:05 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

RIP

« Reply #32 on: 12 Mar , 2009, 14:48 »
Done - PH corrected and fits into plastic. For further builders i can say - build upper half (or upper 40%) from orginal plans, make lower half from Glenn's plans or just make sections ribs (excluding firs and lats one) 3-5mm thiner :)
Most of lower half of PH do no need to be covered - just first and last sections are visible by bottom flooding holes.
I would not provide "trimed" PH pics - looks terrible now ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar , 2009, 17:08 »
I cheated and built tube-like hulls for the pointy bow and stern, and just a curved top for the top midships. But Glenn is right, the model has VERY thick hull and you can waste a lot of time trying to make anything fir. My bow/stern p-hulls are actually rectangles, with the curved top and bottom, the only way to fit (and I over-cheated for extra clearance). To me, putting in super detailing on the p-hull is like making a Faberge egg, and then hiding it under a colander. When you look thru the tiny holes, even with a torch, you can barely see anything.

But it's wonderful there are so many different methods, all shared here, and that so many boats DO have p-hulls!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

vonbulowfla

« Reply #34 on: 01 Apr , 2009, 06:29 »
wow ' i thought i first came up with some brand new idea with the beer can pressure hull . no dice . but its nice to see i am not the only one who thinks of u boats as i consume cold beers . i will see if i can buid upon the starting 12 oz can and come up with a full length hull ! back to the ice box ladds . :'(

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #35 on: 02 Apr , 2009, 01:53 »
Von - parallel invention, mate...t's a human thing and sometimes humbling, but sometimes very rewarding..others think like we do!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

vonbulowfla

« Reply #36 on: 13 Apr , 2009, 07:55 »
yes rokket " and what great thinkers we are ! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)