Author Topic: F-4J Phantom II  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
F-4J Phantom II
« on: 09 Jan , 2012, 07:46 »
Hi all, this build was a new experience for me as I have never built a jet aircraft before.  The end result was not bad for a first time build, though there is a lot of room for improvement.  The learning curve was steep and I made a few mistakes along the way, but overall the model looks like a fairly accurate representation of an F-4J Phantom II that flew with VF-151 during the late 1970's.  3-Wire's flight deck base adds to the flavor also. 
The model is not perfectly marked.  Some of the mistakes are due to my lack of knowledge and inexperience.  And some mistakes are due to just not having the decals to mark the aircraft in VF-151 livery during the time period it represents.  All that being said however, the guy I built it for; a friend who flew as a RIO in VF-151 is very happy with the model, so I got fairly close to getting it completely right.  Another first with this build was using Alclad II metallic paint.  Airbrushing the Alclad paint turned out alright for a first run, but I've got some learning to do to say the least.  I did not weather the model much as the jets in the reference pictures I have from my friend look pretty clean and well maintained.
Enjoy the photos!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: F-4J Phantom II
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan , 2012, 12:55 »
 WOW! It looks fantastic!

The only problem I can see, this the Pressure Hull looks a bit thin, can not imagine that thin aluminium can take all the pressure at depth  ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan , 2012, 20:26 »
Wow, very sharp looking, and nice presentation. Cockpit and markings really sell it. I do agree with Simon, tho,  how can it take depth, and that canopy...

Well done, especially for first her andalclad paint. Fine scale mash has some info in january issue on the paint, but any hints you want to share...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan , 2012, 00:35 »
Thank you for the compliments Wink and Simon.  Wink, the FS article covers using Alclad II pretty well.  All I can add is make sure you have very good lighting to make sure you are spraying VERY thin coats.  Too much and the paint can eat through the primer and attack the plastic, it is hot stuff on par with automotive paint.

Ernest

Wow, very sharp looking, and nice presentation. Cockpit and markings really sell it. I do agree with Simon, tho,  how can it take depth, and that canopy...

Well done, especially for first her andalclad paint. Fine scale mash has some info in january issue on the paint, but any hints you want to share...

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 06:35 »
Well done Ernest! a lovely bird! also, the bridge section and VF 151 insignia are noteworthy, I am impressed!
am now eager to see what is coming next!