Author Topic:  (Read 7046 times)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
(No subject)
« on: 12 Mar , 2011, 09:30 »
Hi guys/gals. I am new to this forum and let me say how impressed I am with all the expertise and talent that is on show ;D. I have just taken delivery of the Revell type VIIC 1.72 kit. I am really impressed with the kit (I absolutely love 1.72 scale) but my only dissapointment is that I can only make early boats. I really wanted to make a typeVIIC/41 with the extra AAA and larger wintergarden. I tried Nautilus models site after looking at Glenn Cauleys excellent build and page for U-625, but they have discontinued the conversion set (72-901) Does anyone know where, if possible, I can get hold of one of these kits? Or maybe have one to sell? ??? I will await with baited breath for the deluge of replies I am hoping to get ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re:
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar , 2011, 13:11 »
I have managed to get hold of one of the VIIC/41 kits, so problem solved. I now have a VIIC and a VIIC/41 , I have started preparing the VIIC (drilling out flood holes, oil canning etc.) But now I have to return to work. >:(  I work 28/28 in West Africa, so Im not going to be able to do anymore to the boat for a month.  :'( Still, I am waiting on a wooden deck, brass pe set, Griffon armament set and a few other bits and pieces to arrive and they are coming from the States, so hopefully when I get back, everything will have arrived and I can get on with it. I will post info on my progress if anyones interested ::)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

TRM

Re:
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar , 2011, 17:41 »
Welcome!  Also that is great news about the new kit!  Looking forward to seeing your progress along the way.

Cheers! ;D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re:
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar , 2011, 18:32 »
Definitely looking forward to seeing your build progress!

AMP will be doing some new aftermarket, we'll keep you updated.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re:
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar , 2011, 02:40 »
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I will definately be keeping you all posted, and coming on for help, I bet. I must say, I would like to congratulate you on a fantastic forum. It has helped me a lot already, and I have hardly started! See you all in a month. :D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re:
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar , 2011, 10:26 »
Thats great news about new aftermarket rokket. I look forward to seeing that  :D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re:
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar , 2011, 00:40 »
Thanks! It's in the works, lines are and measurements are happening
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re:
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar , 2011, 13:46 »
Just a quick note from afar. Will you be doing the for`ard and aft lower flood hole kits? Which are so far only available from the States and subject to an extensive waiting list.I realise this is a very complex part to produce, its just so frustrating to be held to ransom from a single producer. If not, no worries, I will persevere with my micro drill set and hope for a steady hand! Leth

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar , 2011, 14:01 »
Hi leth,

Yes, I can confirm AMP will be doing the forward vents and the stern vents - in 144th and 72nd. We'll also be doing a deck in both scale too.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re:
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr , 2011, 09:18 »
Hey Dougie, just thought Id say how delighted I was to recieve the decals you sent. ;D Thanks a lot for that. You say you are bringing out new sets for the P.E. accesories. I dont suppose you would be delving into the wooden deck market, would you? I bought one from Nautilus which is superb, but apart from the time it takes to get here, I had to pay a customs charge. >:( The British customs are robbing twatts!
I am gonna start on the 1/144 boat first just to get myself back in the swing ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

bracco_n

Re:
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr , 2011, 10:55 »
Dougie please include in the VIIC/41 (1/144) kit an upgrade for the AA armament, I saw a finished model and the flak guns provided by the Revell are crap. I thought that it would also be nice to have in PE the forward section of the bridge, where the BBC box, voicetube and compass repeater where located. That part in the original kit is anything but U-boat-like.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr , 2011, 12:42 »
Hi gents,

Glad you like the decals Leth. I bought a second hand Amati U 47 kit recently. I was happy enough with the purchase price but forgot about overenthusistic British customs charges...ouch!

We won't be doing a wooden deck but will be doing PE decks in 144th and 72nd. The 72nd one will have the deck hatches done in thinner brass, allowing for anti-slip bumps and small details.

We'll look at the bridge area of the VIIC/41 in due course Nicolas. But I know what you mean about the armament, they can sure be improved.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re:
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr , 2011, 02:11 »
Thats great news about the deck Dougie :) Do you have a rough idea as to when these sets will be available? Its too late for my 1.144 VIIC/41, but to be honest, Im just building that as a project to get back into modelling and practise my air brush skills, before I get serious with the 1.72 boats.
Yes the British customs are  indeed robbing b :-[`s! I paid for the deck and was then charged 12 quid over and above the postage , which starts to make the whole deck a pricey extra. I once bought a guitar from the states as it was a couple of hundred less than here. I asked the guy to mark it as a gift and I was still charged 200 quid to receive it! >:( Making the exercise a waste of time and energy!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

bracco_n

Re:
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr , 2011, 18:53 »
It just ocurred to me that both decks could be sold separetaly, so, say you want to build U-333 with converted conning tower, you can buy the VIIC/41 kit and the deck for VIIC. I'm just thinking...

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr , 2011, 15:03 »
Hi leth,

No real idea of timescales for release. Its hard to find the necessary time to get several sets designed.

Nicolas - yes you are right. In 144th scale the modest price of the revell kits means you could buy a VIIC and a VIIC/41 kit and combine them. There were plenty of boats with a slotted deck and Turm IV (as in U 333). One really good model would be a very weathered U 977 in Argentina - this could be made from a combination of both kits.

Cheers,

Dougie