Author Topic: Oil Canning How To?  (Read 13621 times)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re: Oil Canning How To?
« Reply #30 on: 16 May , 2011, 10:07 »
Cheers Anakin, forgot to say, its 1.72 I am looking for although I wouldnt mind trying it out on a 1.144 too ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #31 on: 16 May , 2011, 10:31 »
Oh i missed something...   :P    But hey it

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 16 May , 2011, 11:32 »
Thanks for that  Anakin, didnt know you could get smaller scalpels.` Beaver scalpels` is the name. Thats the answer to getting tiny incisions and will surely make clearing out flood holes easier ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #33 on: 16 May , 2011, 11:41 »
You can also search eBay for vet and dental scalpels...

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #34 on: 07 Nov , 2015, 08:28 »
I saw one great tool to sand, simply using a clip that is used to hang clothes to dry and use it as a sanding tool. Using the metal to hold the sanding paper in place, it is a great sanding stick. I will see if I can find some pics of it.

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #35 on: 07 Nov , 2015, 09:06 »
Interesting! am eager to see!! Thank you

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #36 on: 07 Nov , 2015, 10:21 »
A few remarks on canning.
Canning occur for several reasons like pressure difference between the exposed thin plating, riveted or welded to the frames, seabattering and weldingstresses during construction. In addition the hull gets dents during maneuvering, accidents by wrong blowing (positive dents) and depthcharging. The extent of dents and canning depend on the lifetime and operational history of the relevant submarine. Normally the VIIC was not very susceptible to canning as the light superstructure and casing was riveted thus no welding stresses. The saddletanks have a large section which is pressureproof see my image below, were the casing has virtually no canning and only the non pressureproof section the fueloil/ballasttanks 2 and 4 have typical maneuvering dents. The upper image is of the U 995 having done her service some 20 years which is possibly more than 4 times the normal war lifetime of a VIIC. I believe the average canning and pressurehull corrosion marks which are applied by some modelbuilders are overdone. Don't copy the museum U-995 the casing is restored by welding the casing plates which have weldingstresses and the pressurehull has an excessive corrosion by being laid up without antifouling or maintenance for several years, In this condition she would not be approved for service.
The lower photo is of the U_995 in Trondheim May 1945 after she had been in quite rough service in Arctic waters for almost 2 years pretty much a average wartime service for a VIIC. By looking at the casing and saddletanks you`ll hardly see any dents or canning.
I clearly see the fun of canning and weathering, but if the aim is an accurate model one should behave.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov , 2015, 10:42 by tore »

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #37 on: 07 Nov , 2015, 13:10 »
I found the picture of the tool here:
http://blog.nicnilov.com/2013/12/u-boat-type-vii-c-172-build-log-part-four/
Thank you Tore for the insights, I have seen several different images of lesser canning.
I am trying this canning effect, and it sure is driving me nuts!

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #38 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 07:11 »
Thank you for the link Roel, very interesting use of a clothespin for the oil canning (as you may have read type VII models don't need much oil canning effect). Also, a magnificent website
Thank you again!

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #39 on: 09 Nov , 2015, 13:39 »
You are welcome!

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #40 on: 09 Nov , 2015, 13:52 »
My favorite tool for oil canning, homemade idea, put the dremel head in a knife holder:)
It can also be used for other purposes, like opening up torpedo tubes in resin, gives a nice extra effect!

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #41 on: 09 Nov , 2015, 13:59 »
Here are examples of opened up tubes using this tool:)

Offline maillemaker

• Ensign
« Reply #42 on: 15 Sep , 2016, 12:21 »
The lower photo is of the U_995 in Trondheim May 1945 after she had been in quite rough service in Arctic waters for almost 2 years pretty much a average wartime service for a VIIC. By looking at the casing and saddletanks you`ll hardly see any dents or canning.

Hi Tore,

The pictures in your above post no longer display correctly.

Can you re-post your picture?

Thanks,

Steve