Author Topic: Oil Canning How To?  (Read 13628 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Oil Canning How To?
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr , 2011, 21:20 »
It helps t make thin strips of masking tape and cover the rivets, too. But you definitely have to "blend" once you remove the tape, so the profile goes up to the rivets without being too sharp. this is where the freehand works well, as Romain says, and where the nail file works, as Bill said. I like the flexible ones, they are very cool and usually have 4 grades: Coarse (very), light blue Medium, other side Fine Pink, Finer light pink. Bill's suggestion is excellent, i find a fresh file can be harsh.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #16 on: 01 May , 2011, 05:01 »
After much "oil canning" today, I feel that I would like to make some suggestions. I recommend taking a "Dexter-esque" approach to containing the multitude of shavings, which will strive to get EVERYWHERE!  >:( (ie. make sure you have polythene sheets or paper to catch the mess, unless of course you have a dedicated area to build in, which only requires a brush) Secondly, it might be an idea to try the sans clothing method :-[, as these shavings take on an almost magical adhesion, which will affix to your clothes. When brushed off, these shavings will merely float onto another part of your clothes, mocking your pathetic attempts to rid yourself of their grip. When you finally give up,and leave them on, they decide to leave their host and take up new residence in your carpets and furniture. >:(
In summing up, if you want to argue with your girlfriend or wife. Oil can away! ;D
« Last Edit: 01 May , 2011, 07:18 by iceonaboy »

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: 06 May , 2011, 19:58 »
Yeah, I do a good brush down, but that plastic is very static-ky, and clings! I am banned from entering house or getting hugs until I am de-contaminated from the shavings and "bits".

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #18 on: 09 May , 2011, 13:28 »
Im just about finished one half of the hull ;D Just got to do the other side now :-\ On the whole, I have been successful, but I might have to invest in the Archer rivet set. Can anyone tell me if this is worth it? Is there a particular set I have to buy for 1.72, or are they mixed?

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 09 May , 2011, 20:31 »
Yes the Archer transfers are expensive, but they are worth the money.

This is the set you need: http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88023.html

Karel

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 10 May , 2011, 02:14 »
Thanks Karel, I think I will have to get me one of those sheets as one or two rivet lines have been lost where I have gone too far with my scalpel!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #21 on: 10 May , 2011, 08:06 »
I think i need also few lines of rivets... I

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: 11 May , 2011, 01:23 »
Anakin - this WORKS! We have been thinking of releasing a PE rivet template of a few diff sizes and patterns, suitable for a few scales and many projects, designed to be used with putty, along with a weld seam pattern (probably three thicknesses).

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 11 May , 2011, 08:00 »
We have been thinking of releasing a PE rivet template of a few diff sizes and patterns, suitable for a few scales and many projects, designed to be used with putty, along with a weld seam pattern (probably three thicknesses).

Good idea! This could be used in tanks, trains etc... Not only in ships and boats. I

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #24 on: 11 May , 2011, 08:45 »
Whens these fabled PE sets coming out Wink? Im desperate for the lower flood holes. Then again I seen this and was blown away :P I mean this kit is 1.144 and look at the detail of the flood hole openings!!!

http://www.u-modelismo.com/foromodelismonaval/index.php?topic=1340.0

After seeing that I dont know what to do. I have micro drill bits but cant see how to smooth out such tiny holes. My needle files are way too big even for the lower floods and torpedo door holes in the 1.72 kit!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 11 May , 2011, 10:51 »
I guess it

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: 12 May , 2011, 01:07 »
he's done great, especially as you say, in 1:144

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #27 on: 12 May , 2011, 03:06 »
And did you see what he did with the plastic deck? I was in awe! That is real micro surgery where one slip means certain death for the kit :o I feel like hanging up my airbrush and taking up knitting!

Nah, I will persevere and most likely wreck umpteen 1.144 kits in my unending quest to reach the giddy heights of the top modellers :'(

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 16 May , 2011, 08:11 »
Is Modelbrass the only company currently doing the lower flood holes in PE ? I paid for a set months ago and Im still waiting. :( I dont trust myself with such tiny holes as the plastic is very thin, in  between the slots  :-\

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #29 on: 16 May , 2011, 09:23 »
Griffon makes some PE sets for revell viic and 41 in 1/144 scale but i