Author Topic: Oil Canning How To?  (Read 13602 times)

sedgar2

Oil Canning How To?
« on: 03 Feb , 2011, 10:04 »
Greeting, Fresh Fish here! I am beginning the 1/72 Revell kit. I have been getting accessories together and tools and so on to do a nice job on this model They are becoming scarce. My question is the technique used to simulate the sag or "oil can effect" between the ribs in the outer hull and saddle tanks. I won't be modeling any particular boat and will only go so far off the reservation as I feel comfortable with. Before i take a knife and ruin the hull, thought I would seek some detailed guidance. Thanks and there are some amazing craftmen/women here, Thanks in advance, please feel free to email me, sedgar2

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
Re: Oil Canning How To?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 10:53 »
              WELCOME, SEDGAR2..
                                CHECK THIS OUT...
http://u-552.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
                            AND
http://www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U625/   
                              BILL ...

sedgar2

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 11:11 »
OK I see the results but is there a description of the process before I take weapon in hand? Sand with Dremel tool or gouge with knife, or something I've not hit on yet?

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 12:16 »
There are some pics on page one from my topic:  http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=443.0
I did it with a round scalpel, and afterwards i sanded the panels by hand to smooth things out.

Karel

sedgar2

« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 13:49 »
Thank you for the reply, Looking at your progress, many of my other questions have been answered, some even before I came up with them. Very nice work! Side-tracked me a whole hour looking at the thread....

TRM

« Reply #5 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 18:49 »
Hope it helps, #10 scalpel blade, slowly work away till you get a desired depth. Finish up with some light sanding.

Takes a little while but the material scrapes down pretty easy.  If you are not intending to replace the rivet, just take extra care.  It may take you a little longer but there is never a rush and the results are certainly worth the effort.  ;D  Good luck

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb , 2011, 04:06 »
I went through heaps of #10 curved x-acto blades. You MUST use SHARP! You want to avoid "chatter". The blades are cheap, and just because they are not sharp enough for scraping doesn't mean they have to be thrown away. It's difficult to scrape away just enough - you probably have to do slightly more than you think, because when painted, some of the effect is lost. But too deep and it looks silly Blending to the "rib" part is key, nice and smooth and soft. TRM and FoxbaT have it!

Some finished pix:
http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/finished.shtml
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

sedgar2

« Reply #7 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 06:47 »
TRM, Thats what I needed to see, Thanks

TRM

« Reply #8 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 13:17 »
Glad the pic helps.  Wink is correct, pick up a fresh package of #10's, once you get started you will see when they start to chatter, just change it out for a new one.  Don't throw them away, they are still great for a multitude of other cutting.  Karel's sanding method works well too.  You may want to work both depending where on the boat.  One final note...If you already opened the long drainage vent above the saddle tank, you may want glue some bits of styrene to keep it from bending too much.  I broke one side and decided to cut the other off(made more room for other things anyway). Best thing would be to do the oil canning before you open it. ::) Just remember....ANYTHING can be fixed!  Trust me, I break crap all the time :P

Get some pics up, would love to watch the build!

Cheers!

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 17:23 »
Yes i like to see a topic of your build too  ;)

Karel

sedgar2

« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb , 2011, 09:19 »
I'll post some pics, but I don't think I can come close to some of the boats seen here......

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr , 2011, 13:22 »
Id like to know how you managed to sand the panels after scraping with a knife. :-\ I cant seem to do it without sanding the rivets off >:( I have tried getting as small a piece of sandpaper as possible but its still difficult.

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr , 2011, 15:16 »
                             A womans "Finger Nail File" works pretty good. They're flexible, the right width,
                          and long enough to handle. Usually they're made with a coarse and smooth side.
                          a handy trick is to rub two of them together. This will knock down some of
                          the sharpness that tends to leave marks...
                                                          Cheers/ Bill
« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2011, 15:19 by billp51d »

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr , 2011, 02:07 »
Nice one Bill, I`ll try that ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Kptlt. Wolfgang Ott

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr , 2011, 14:28 »
Ahoy Sedgor2,

I am currently Oil Canning my 1/72 Boot, and I have found that a light touch using my Exacto Knife, with a #10 Blade is working very well.  While scraping between each rib, keep your eye on exactly where the blade is cutting (i.e. in the center of the ribs.....to the left near the rivets.....to the right near the rivets...and so on) and make the proper adjustment to stay more or less in the center of both lines of rivets.  Light passes with the knife will take it down a little at a time, however you have more accuracy with the knife, and won't "kill" rivet heads as easily as when using harder pressure, and Oil Canning with light pressure won't make your fingers and hands go numb from "repetitive movement syndrome."  Good Luck Mate.

Romain