Author Topic: Making steel texture  (Read 2544 times)

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
Making steel texture
« on: 16 Jan , 2011, 02:15 »
I removed the welds because they are not correct, i will replace them later with welds from the Archer kit.
On pictures from the 995, i noticed the rudders also have a rough steel surface with small holes and dimples, so i had the idea to simulate this with the help of some plastic cement and a piece of a steelwire brush.

On this picture the surface with the small holes clearly can be seen.

The rudders with the removed welds

The parts needed to replicate the steel surface

I brushed on a thin layer of cement to soften the plastic, after one minute i added a second layer and immediately started to push the wirebrush into the surface to create the holes.

After one hour of drying, i sanded the surface smooth to remove the small pieces of melted plastic, and only the holes remained.
I am happy with the result of this wirebrush/cement experiment  :)

Karel

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Making steel texture
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan , 2011, 01:40 »
A very neat and easy way to simulate rough steel surfaces.  Thanks for the tip Karel!

Ernest

I removed the welds because they are not correct, i will replace them later with welds from the Archer kit.
On pictures from the 995, i noticed the rudders also have a rough steel surface with small holes and dimples, so i had the idea to simulate this with the help of some plastic cement and a piece of a steelwire brush.

On this picture the surface with the small holes clearly can be seen.

The rudders with the removed welds

The parts needed to replicate the steel surface

I brushed on a thin layer of cement to soften the plastic, after one minute i added a second layer and immediately started to push the wirebrush into the surface to create the holes.

After one hour of drying, i sanded the surface smooth to remove the small pieces of melted plastic, and only the holes remained.
I am happy with the result of this wirebrush/cement experiment  :)

Karel

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
Re: Making steel texture
« Reply #2 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 09:39 »
Wonderful technique.  :o

Thank you!