Author Topic: U 505  (Read 24242 times)

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
Re: U 505
« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec , 2010, 07:51 »
Sorry to hear kind of bad news... A loss of loved one is always hard!

My dad passed away 13 years ago in the age of 50. Years has gone and it still hurts... But it also
brings back some great memories on my mind. I have his and my own army dog tags on my necklace!
So he is always near me and in my heart!

Warm regards,

-Anakin-

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec , 2010, 19:17 »
Hello All! 
Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts. My Father is now 91. This has been hard for him. My parents were married in 1947 in Germany. My father returned from being a PW in the US in 1946. When he returned home there was no house. It had been destroyed during the war. He had not been back since 1942. He accepted a job as a tool designer for Caterpillar Inc and was tranfered to Peoria in 1949. He worked for them for 40 years. I retired from teaching last year. So at least I am set in my life. I have my models and my dog and my Father.
I am now setting the deck on my U-505 project.
Best Regards,
Dan Bauer

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec , 2010, 22:55 »
Dan - so sorry. A lot of historical history, as well as family history. A project like U 505 might help a little.

Pat - keep us posted.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug , 2011, 14:16 »
Hey!
Any new stuff on the U-505? I am researching the U-505 for a full hull 1/72 project now! A set of line drawings like the ones for the Type VII would be great!!

Ow about it NZ Snowman??!!!!????
Regards,
Dan

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep , 2011, 13:49 »
Hi Dan,
I just returned from a trip to Chicago to visit the U-505, quite an experience!  A beautiful boat.  I can't help with any line drawings but I took lots of pictures of the inside and the outside of the boat during the guided tour.
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but one of the former US submariner volunteers asked me if I knew what the two appendages are on the lower bow of U-505, one on each side, anybody know?
Regards,
Brian

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep , 2011, 04:12 »

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep , 2011, 19:45 »
They are the 'dynamic pressure' inlets for the speedometer.

Check out http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg4505#msg4505 & http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg7814;topicseen#msg7814
Thanks for the links.  The guys were saying that they had thought they are for the speed indicator, but we couldn't figure why there are 2 of them. 
Regards,
Brian

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 04 Jan , 2012, 15:13 »
Hey Guys!
Sorry for the long delay. I am now beginning work on a new U-505. This model is a 1/72 full hull model. I am looking for any detail photos and line drawing of a Type IXC U-Boot. All help would be great! This will be a combined effort with a friend in our model club to show U-505 as she was being set on a dry dock off the lake in Chicago in 1952.
So here I go again!
Regards,
Dan B.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: 04 Jan , 2012, 23:58 »
Welcome back!

Sounds like a great project, I love the year and setting - this will set it apart from others.

I have some shots I took about 14 months ago, it was soooo dark in the museum (they do that on purpose I think!) but here are a few details that might be helpful.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: 04 Jan , 2012, 23:59 »
and part 2

vonbulowfla

« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr , 2012, 16:29 »
this may be a delayed gesture but i myself have gone throught similar trials and i say i am sorry for your loss and after i lost my dad i went through the mental grinder but time will heal all wounds and you move on . thats all mate . life is good and we will all meet in the end . cheers ! :'(

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr , 2012, 06:04 »
My Dad (Capital "D"!) died 22.5 years ago, I was barely 25, now I'm close to 50. Though we had many differences, we were quite the buddies, and it was Twilight Zone to lose him. I've grown and lived almost as much time as I was alive when I was with him...I'm OK day-to-day, but it will always be a Big Thing. Time will heal, but always remember the good stuff. "history" is made from every day.

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #27 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 14:22 »
Hi Again Mates!
I am back again after a long delay. I am back on my U-505 project. I am trying to get this thing done before Feb. of 2013. that is only plus months so i am going to have to get on this now! I will try to post pics as I go. I also want to keep a photo record of this build as I go.
Best Regards,
Dan

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 23:53 »
Glad to hear you are back! And standing by for pix!

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 07:44 »
Hello!
Thanks for the welcome. Dad had colon cancer two months ago and had that removed. He doing ok, he has his good and bad days. He has always been a survivor! I guess it goes back to his days on the Booten! He is 92 now!
I have the ruff work done on the pressure hull.  I am now going to start on the plumbing on the top of the pressure hull. So I have temporally taped the photo etch deck on the hull and am tracing where the various hatches/ detail is. Trying to figure out an idea where all this needs to go!  As I have yet to find any drawings of the workings of the Type IX. I am also usings line drawings for the Type VII as a rough idea even though there are some major differences where things go on the two Types. More to come....
By the way, thanks for sharing your photos of U-505 from your visit, they are a great help! I CAN'T REMEMBER EVERYTHING!!!
Regards,
Dan