Author Topic: U 505  (Read 24247 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
U 505
« on: 13 Sep , 2010, 16:16 »
Hi Guys,

I wast at U 505 yesterday. I took some shots of stuff we are interested in (hull stuff, etc., etc.) I will be arranging when I get back, and we are looking at different groups of pix we can offer modellers in some combo of "easy and cheap for modellers, some benefit for AMP". Anyway...

Some random thoughts...

U 505 is quite impressive. The display is excellent, but the boat itself, she's impressive, yet compared to the 4 USN Gatos I'm touring, "Victorian" - just something about the interior and all the wood and the little details. It was pretty thrillsome to be inside! Unfortunately no pix allowed inside. I did get some of the mockup displays around.

Something else...many of the details are so familiar from VIIC stuff, and it sure does seem that the KM had a new design for this model, the IXC, but kept doing things the way they always did - rigging, hatches, bits here and there. I only have loose observation and no scientific evidence, but I think it is very safe to look at IXCs for many VIIC details. as for U 505 herself, as always, the present display must be looked at carefully, being modified over 60 years, but i think she is probably less messed up than U 995.

Anyway, it was a great time and a great boat, and I think she can be useful to all KM uboat modellers.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

Re: U 505
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep , 2010, 18:53 »
That sounds like a great excursion!  I can hardly wait to see some pics. 8)

Happy Travels!

Cheers!

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep , 2010, 13:00 »
Hello!
I was just there last month doing some research on hull details etc. for my Type IX projects. I have since started a new 1/72 Type IX project of U-505 as well as my 1/72 U-805. By the way; my U-805 should be done by Feburary for a show here in Minnesota. Looking foward to seeing what you come up with. The Type IX definetly needs more press as far as detail and general all around info that would be helpful for modelers.

Regards,
Dan

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct , 2010, 17:56 »
Hi Dan,

excellent, the IXs are overlooked!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 06 Nov , 2010, 17:43 »
Hello Again!
My 1/72 U-505 is coming along. I am almost ready to start working on the pressure hull. This will be a major undertaking because there is no set of plans to work off and the hull is longer and wider than a Type VII.
As far as modifications on the actual U-505 here are my thoughts after careful study of pictures and actually seeing the U-boot several times:
The upper hull paint is a shade close to heilgrau. This is not correct for U-505 at the time of capture in 1944. A darker shade of blue-gray was used; possibly Blugrau 58? Doggie will have to weigh in on this matter. The lower hull color is close to the correct dark blue- gray. The starbord foward torpedo storage hatch was replaced due to the damage done by a depth charge at the time of capture. The deck needs a darker shade of preservative on the wood. At present it is too light. My father has commented that the deck on both U-Booten he was on had very dark, almost black decks. Of course the hull acess hatch openings inside the Boot have been inlarged to allow easy access for the tours on the Boot. Other smaller modifications have been done over the years, but in general the Boot is very close to original at the time of capture.   

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07 Nov , 2010, 07:25 »
Hi Dan,

Nice to hear the Type IX is coming along nicely. The curator Keith Gill spent a considerable amount of time and effort into researching historical accuracy regarding the U 505's exterior and interior colours. Having said that, I agree with you that the current upper colour does look a bit light compared to U 505 during her capture. Somewhere around Blaugrau 58/1 or maybe a wee bit lighter for the upper colour for the capture?

I think the tower of U 505 was much darker than the upper hull, something like the very dark Blauschwarz 58/2?

Note that your dad's U 805 when it surrendered was in a very similar scheme (with the peeling / flaking paint on the tower much darker than the upper hull paint).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 17:57 »
Hi Dougie!
How has my old Friend been? I agree with you on your comments. The colours on the decks of U-Booten have been a topic of issue for some time. Most U-boot vets will tell you the deck had a preservative not a paint on the decks. This wore in time and showed the wood underneath. The wood was a low grade wood used at the time and was not teak or a hard wood such as walnut.
Yes, the schemes of both U-booten ;U-805 and U-505, are very simular. Thank you for your expert comments Dougie!

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 10:20 »
 Hello Again to all!
Some sad news to report: My mother of 84 years passed away a week ago. She will be missed by both my father and I. She came from Germany with my father and my older brother; then only 16 months old back in 1949. During the war she helped carry ammo for the AA batteries around her town. She shook Hitler's hand once during a Rally in the late 30's.
Well, I am finished with the basic pressure hull for my 1/72 U-505. I am now ready to start to detail the top of the pressure hull. The Type IX.s configuration is different than a Type VII in this regard due to the location of the Engine room being closer to the control room. Does anyone have a symatic or drawing of this for a type IX?
Regards,
Dan

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 10:45 »
Hello Dan, please accept my condolences.  My grandfather passed away June 2009 two monthes shy of his 90th birthday.  I still miss him alot.  He has a crewman, radio operator, on German bombers during WWII.  I got my interest in modelling WWII Luftwaffe aircraft from him.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Ernest  

Hello Again to all!
Some sad news to report: My mother of 84 years passed away a week ago. She will be missed by both my father and I. She came from Germany with my father and my older brother; then only 16 months old back in 1949. During the war she helped carry ammo for the AA batteries around her town. She shook Hitler's hand once during a Rally in the late 30's.
Well, I am finished with the basic pressure hull for my 1/72 U-505. I am now ready to start to detail the top of the pressure hull. The Type IX.s configuration is different than a Type VII in this regard due to the location of the Engine room being closer to the control room. Does anyone have a symatic or drawing of this for a type IX?
Regards,
Dan

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 10:57 »
Thank You for your kind thoughts and prayers.
Dan

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 11:01 »
Hi Dan,

So sorry to hear of your mother. I wish you and your father all the very best.

Warm regards,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 11:17 »
Hi Dan

Also, so sorry to hear of your mother. Please accept my condolences.

Simon

TRM

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 14:08 »
Dan,
I am so sorry for your loss.  My prayers are with you.

Todd

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec , 2010, 00:38 »
I'm deeply sorry, dan.
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec , 2010, 06:51 »
My condolences regarding your mother Dan.

Similar to Ernest, my father died in 2008 just shy of his 90th.  He was on the side, flying Lancasters and Halifaxes for the RAF, and was shot down and in Stalag Luft III during the Great Escape.  He always tried to steer me towards aircraft models, and while I built a lot of those for him and learned the basics, I always kept returning to ship models instead.  I guess my grandfathers both being sailors was in the blood.

I go tomorrow to learn the biopsy results to find out if I have the same that got Dad.  Been kind of hard to concentrate on models lately.