Author Topic: Fw 190: Tribute to Gramp  (Read 19094 times)

TRM

Re: Fw 190: Tribute to Gramp
« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec , 2010, 17:24 »
Thanks guys!  In between doing the holiday thing and sanding the U-69, I began to start some more ground cover and one of the add-ons to be added to the diorama.

Light buff to add some fill for the grassy area.  Will tone it down a bit after with the airbrush.  Not shown hear is some of the tall grass that has begun to go down as well....I will get to that. :D

The add-on kit....Has a bunch of goodies I can use.  9 figures to choose from (not using all), a 1/48 jeep, barrels, gas cans and more.  Started messing with the jeep a little.

Laying the grass is tedious but interesting.  The jeep and other stuff will make for nice breaks....

Cheers!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec , 2010, 11:33 »
The groundwork is coming along nicely TRM.  And the add-on kit looks like you will have some fun with it.

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #32 on: 25 Dec , 2010, 17:12 »
love the add-ons
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #33 on: 26 Dec , 2010, 16:11 »
Jeep update...waiting of our Blizzard of 2010 to start,

The first photo is one from the few I got from my Grandfather's collection.  Since, I have a jeep for the diorama now,  well, the rest is self explanatory.

The kit supplies two sets of numbers and with combining the two, I can make the identification number right.

color inverted...

The decal for the star on the hood however is different. The kit supplies a standard star within the circle.  I the photo the start breaks the circle.  From what I understand the stars were painted with different stencils.  This particular version I read is called an "invasion style".  I think it depended on who was actually painting the vehicles at the time. Not worried about this yet....

I started with the bustle rack (back) or the ten or so other definitions of the steel rack at the rear of the jeep. ;D

The rack first appeared to be angled on the sides, but, after closer examination of a faint line near my grandfather's right arm and searching through a number of pictures online, I am fairly confident that it has a basket shape.

.75mm rod, leftover PE mesh and straps

Brass rod and some more leftovers for the plates

Canopy as seen folded down in the 1st picture, aluminum foil for the cover and brass rod for the rails

Loose fitting of the spare and gas can.  Other junk will follow.

Cheers!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec , 2010, 20:34 »
looking nice, excellent scratch work

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #35 on: 28 Dec , 2010, 01:44 »
I agree with Wink, your scratchwork is outstanding.

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #36 on: 31 Dec , 2010, 15:43 »
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Onward...

Replaced hood on light with scrap PE

Added some levers, pedals and gauge lights (two posts in the middle top of dash)

Brackets for the removable roof

Wire will be the vacuum line for the wipers on the windscreen

Raised the rear seat to it's upright position, added ribbing and a tire pump....

TBC...

Cheers!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #37 on: 01 Jan , 2011, 02:53 »
Verrrry nice TRM!  Makes the jeep look much more accurate.

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #38 on: 01 Jan , 2011, 21:20 »
Thank you Ernest!

Added front bumper light and tried working on a couple of figures...Still wondering why I chose 1/48?? ???

Had to cut a few apart and mix and match to get close to the right pose...

I decided to use the guy sitting in the front of the jeep in my posted pic from earlier.  Thought I could give him a camera, like he took the shot of the picture I am trying to recreate...

Added small case...

Started painting, this is were I realize how small they really are.  Can't wait to get to the crew of the U-69! :P

In looking at the picture (jeep pic) The man sitting has sun glasses. Wish they came out as nice as Siara's, but, they will have to do...

Still a little touch up...

Basic "plot"...

As you can see, my Grandfather here looks more like the Joker from Batman.  I need to fix something with the head....also, still working on ground cover.  This will take a while! :P

Cheers!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jan , 2011, 01:34 »
VERY cool IDEA, VERY WELL executed, VERY WELL done scratch work...so cool

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #40 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 00:13 »
Great work TRM.  The build is looking really first rate.  Yep, 1/48 scale figures can be a challenge to paint, especially the faces.  I often have to redo mine once or twice to get them right.

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #41 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 20:46 »
Thank you both!

Ernest, I am beginning to find all this out!  I am thinking spraying the faces next time, then shading. Real hard to get the eyes to look good!

Began some work on some peripherals.

Got rid of Gramps green hair too :P

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #42 on: 23 Jan , 2011, 01:54 »
Nice work painting and weathering the small stuff TRM.  The figure's face looks just fine.  If you are interested I can describe who I paint faces, not that I am an expert at that particulair skill.

Ernest

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #43 on: 24 Jan , 2011, 02:06 »
I love the jerry C...  ;)

On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

TRM

« Reply #44 on: 24 Jan , 2011, 04:16 »
Thanks Guys!

Ernest,  Of course!  Firgures are not a strong suite for me.  I know myself and I am sure a few of us would beifit from a brief tutorial. 8)  As for expert....excuse me, I needed to go back to your Heinkel HE.....I thought they looked damn good!