Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 43815 times)

TRM

Re: My U-69
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul , 2010, 18:29 »
Just got back from Vacation (Holiday) on Cape Cod, MA.  Great week, temps in the 90's F and humid.  Even better, when the kids ask to go home early, because they are tired!!!!  Parents - 1 , Kids - 0...We win!

Before I left, I began some oil canning effect to one side of the hull.  Hastily I removed all but the aft rivet...."live and learn".  Now that I am back, the dauntless task of replacement of the rivets is inevitable.  Before I shell out more cash, I figured I would attempt some on my own.  Below are some pics, not bad from what I can see for now.  I will push my way through and lightly prime the side to see how they come out under painting.  As you can see, I removed the anchor well in preparation for movement forward...no rush, as I do not have the torpedo door add-on kit as of yet.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul , 2010, 08:40 »
The Cape! Grew up there (ad born, too - not hatched as the rumours say). Working on a Secret Rivet Tool (convex rivets fast and easy). Can't say much yet, just hang on.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul , 2010, 10:20 »
Sweet !   I made a template with .001 clear, worked out somewhat but a pain in the arse to clear the holes every time, eventhough I used CA and a pin to make the rivits for this side.   I will be watching for your invention....I still have a side to go and like to see a more consitant method.  Plus if it works out that good, I will sand down the other side and have at it!

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jul , 2010, 17:34 »
OK...Question time!

Below are 3 photographs.  I know the 1st one is U-69, just a wider angle (none cropped) version.  This is the third size of this photo....is it still even bigger? (not much of a question here), just curious.

The real question:  The second photo???

My thoughts....could be the 69...

Wind deflector, breakwater & net cutter in place.  Framework of shipyard, suspiciously like Krupp Germania Werf, Kiel...

Best guess from measuring on photo, there are 20 vents on top, unknown on the bottom (obscured)  Could make it - 69,94,95,96,97,201,205 (unless I am wrong about the yard, then 357 might come into play).  However - 201, 94 & 96 had no deflectors upon construction...if I am correct.

This leaves 95,97,205 and the possible 357 (see 3rd photo from Subism, claims to be 205)  This could, and I am not sure, have 21 vents...any guesses?

Anyway, if you feel like weighing in on it, let me know & thanks!

Cheers!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jul , 2010, 03:18 »
hmmm, can't help, Dougie might know off the top of his head! Nice shot #1 of the access panels to the saddle tanks...could be useful.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jul , 2010, 07:05 »
Hi TRM,

I haven't seen the second photo, thanks for posting. It is definitely a very early VIIC in Krupp. Not sure which boat. I think all the earliest VIICs would not have had the wind deflector in place until after they were launched. I can't be certain from the image you posted but I think there is no wind deflector there? 

Cheers,

Dougie

TRM

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul , 2010, 07:26 »
Thanks guys, for the help.  It's tough with the scans on the net, they are not always as clear as the originals.

Update:

Started the drip cap and "mass production" of the internal ribbing for the vent holes.

Thanks again!

TRM

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 20:46 »
I began making and applying the doublers and welds.  With no clear indication to the exact placement of the welds, I placed some where I though they should go.  I managed to work on the anchor well.  I have not received the Model brass PE or the flood and vent PE.  I have stayed away from these areas till I get them.

TRM

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 20:47 »
Set 2:

TRM

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 20:48 »
Final set for the night...

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jul , 2010, 04:37 »
                   TRM.. Nice rivet effect on your doubler. Who is the manufacturer of the tool that you used. BTW don't be in a big hurry for the Model Brass. I waited about 4 weeks for mine.
                                                                                 Bill

TRM

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jul , 2010, 07:31 »
Thanks Bill.  Oh and thanks for the heads up on the Model Brass.

As for the tool....Trumpeter Rivet Maker.  It goes around $7-$9 USD...however, found it from a small shop in Hong Kong on E-bay.  It worked out to $7 with shipping and I received it in about a week.

http://myworld.ebay.com/lacorunone/

Cheers!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul , 2010, 02:57 »
Nice progress, looking very nice. Those bits really add a lot. Well done. (Anxiously awaiting more progress)

TRM

« Reply #43 on: 21 Aug , 2010, 14:11 »
Update:

Happiness!!!!!  My U-Brass Add-on Floods ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After anxiously awaiting their arrival Thursday, only to find out UPS delivered them to a post office two towns over, I have them. ;D

This weekend will be full of deciding on where to start 1st.  As you can see from the photo I didn't even wait to take the photo of the complete sheet.  I broke the piece while oil canning and have been staring at it for a month.  Couldn't wait to fix it.....now, slow down get back to work.

Dougie & Wink,  Exceptionally nice job.  I was not sure what to expect until it came.   I was surprised on the quality and thickness of the product.  I have been used to 1/700 and 1/350 scale and the PE is tremendously flimsy, this is certainly not.  Thanks guys! ;)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 22 Aug , 2010, 06:18 »
Hi TRM,

Thanks for the kind words, nice to see modellers still using the U-Brass/WEM set. We had to make it thicker than most sets because some of the parts were drill templates. Another reason was the "cheek pieces" - these are half etch (so that rivets could be included) and this also necessitated a certain thickness to prevent the pieces being too flimsy.

Hope you find the set useful.

Cheers,

Dougie