Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 43836 times)

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
Re: My U-69
« Reply #15 on: 21 May , 2010, 17:41 »
          TRM ..Bouncing around is the fun part. Maybe that explains why I have 3 boats on my bench.... All unfinished.  ::)
                                      Bill

TRM

« Reply #16 on: 21 May , 2010, 18:32 »
Figured one more slowdown technique Bill....The unforeseen catastrophe.(NOT THE MODEL THIS TIME)  I thought I would share.  Ahh those precious few hours now and then that pop up when you think you can sit down and scratch away at on of the many projects that we all have.  Then it happens!!!  This time my daughter's Nintendo DS somewhere between her using it and my 5 year old nephew....attempting to, SNAP it breaks.  This is how I filled the last 3 hours of "my quiet time today" (At least it was for a good cause):

Oh yeah, they seemed to loose all the parts before I got there....even more fun.

TRM

« Reply #17 on: 21 May , 2010, 18:35 »
The finishing touches.  He is one thing I have finished in the past 2 months!

The last on is my version of The Battleship Game....need to put the 1/700 stuff somewhere!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #18 on: 21 May , 2010, 18:53 »
It must be boring working at 1:1 scale ;D ;D ;)

Anyway, great job on the Nintendo, I sure your daughter will be happy.
« Last Edit: 21 May , 2010, 18:55 by NZSnowman »

TRM

« Reply #19 on: 21 May , 2010, 19:06 »
Very Happy.  I will take the smile and a hug any day.

I was going to try to weather it.  A little rust and paint chipping, but I think the wife would have try to "Bake" my U-69. ;D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #20 on: 22 May , 2010, 17:48 »
weather! LOL! great job! (see, you can tell your wife that modeling DOES have real world/life uses!)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #21 on: 28 May , 2010, 17:49 »
A little update....

We have had tremendously nice weather lately.  This will definitely slow down progress of the u-69.  But, the yard is cleaner for the Memorial Day Weekend.  Friends and family coming over and the parade in town starts right at my house (Firetrucks park on my lawn).  Good Times!

Anyway, the pics below are my attempt at cutting the missing aft vents (without the template from the WEM Kit)  Can't wait I guess.

I removed the two mysterious "Bumps" near the bow, in preparation of moving them up and aft. (I'll post when complete)

I also started drilling out the  ( I hope I am correct) GHG plates located just above the keel near the bow.  Added the correct number between the "UT"?  (correct me if I am wrong, please, still working up to speed on all the terminology, forgive...) I am using copper wire to simulate the new ones.  By referring to documentation herein the AMP site,  there are many more below (not seen in any U-69 pics).  I am keeping the same placement of the lower ones by Revell and just adding new copper ones.

As always any and all questions and/or comments are always welcome.

Thanks!

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 29 May , 2010, 02:49 »
              Nicely done TRM. Enjoy the great weather and the holiday. Down here in Rehoboth Beach it's more like jet skis and boats on trailers parked on lawns but i'm sure to see a fire truck also. Have a good Memorial Day.
                                                                     Bill

TRM

« Reply #23 on: 29 May , 2010, 18:04 »
Thanks Bill,  Have a great Holiday Weekend!

Added are a few shots of my homemade keel clamp. Made from an architectural draft clamp, I cut it down and added stems, covering them with styrene. Just need to add 1/8" (3mm) foam tape to protect all future paint.

Thanks for stopping by!

Seewolf

« Reply #24 on: 29 May , 2010, 22:07 »
Hi TRM,
good job so far, like the way how you did the GHG.... will try to copy that for my boat, looks much more sharp and crisp than the Revell stuff  ;)

TRM

« Reply #25 on: 31 May , 2010, 19:52 »
Thanks Seewolf!  I believe the outcome will be far superior...crisp is the word.  Trying to be personally creative is always paramount, but I have been looking threw some many build logs and this was something that popped out.  Thanks to Siara's 552.  It does add a nice touch.

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun , 2010, 13:26 »
Finally, a little down time.  With coaching my daughter's softball team and watching my older daughter's softball games, Holiday parties, great weather and tons of yard work....RAIN!  This allows me to finally sit down and get some work done on the 69.

Did a little work on the tanks this morning, grinding, filling and such.  Trying to round them out.  Also made up some UT plates to cover over the kits' version. 

QUESTION:  I was thinking of heating the plates in maybe to recess them or should these ride flush with the outer hull?

Seewolf

« Reply #27 on: 06 Jun , 2010, 13:49 »
Hmmm ... not sure but guessing the UT had same hight of the GHG. Sorry can not give you a better answer... I am not so far with my boat  ???

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jun , 2010, 15:03 »

Picture from U-995 CD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml

UT base plate about 5 mm rise from casting + 3mm for the copper cover plate.

TRM, I see you were coaching your daughter's softball team, just wondering how big this softball in the US?

TRM

« Reply #29 on: 06 Jun , 2010, 17:52 »
Thanks for the help Guys!  That pic certainly sums it up nicely.  Looks like I'm filling in the recess, maybe add a shim under the discs and I'm home free!

Snowman,  Nice question...ASA 11".  These are 9 & 10 year old girls.  They let them use a little smaller ball.  Side Not:  they (my team), had made it to the playoffs, not the final game but still a great accomplishment. They gave it all and actually won their last game but the advancing teams were decided by "run differential" over the two day three day tournament because there were 10 teams with the same record.

;D