Author Topic: Using Future as a Gloss coat  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Using Future as a Gloss coat
« on: 15 Jan , 2010, 14:08 »
This really isn't paint, but Future is applied with a brush and/or airbrush.  Following is how I do it:

Future Prep:  I use 2 ounce bottle and mix Future with Windex in a 75/25 ratio.  I have found this allows my airbrush to atomize the Future better.  It also seems to brush smoother as it is not as thick.

Brushing:  I use a very clean brush.  For large surfaces, like aircraft wings, I use a broad sable haired brush.  For smaller areas I use a #2 small flat brush.  I usually brush two thin coats, waiting 10-15 minutes between coats.  As future is self-leveling you don't have to worry about brush marks.  If you do make a mistake a small amount of Windex on a Q-Tip cleans it right up. 

Airbrushing:  I generally sprays two medium heavy coats, waiting 10-15 minutes between coats.  Before I started thinning my Future I sprayed several thin coats to avoid any runs, but I found this frequently left a "grainy" feel to the surface.  Since I started thinning I have not had any problems with runs, just keep the airbrush moving; the same as with paint.  If you do get a run, it can be cleaned up using the same technique as above.  Also, if you end up with that "grainy" problem above, you can spray a light "flash coat" of Windex and it will smooth it out.

I always wait 24 hours before applying decals ro let the Future cure.

Ernest 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: Using Future as a Gloss coat
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan , 2010, 14:30 »
This is very interesting.  I have never attempted to brush Future except on very small areas.  The airbrush technique described by Ernst has worked very well for me also.  Once, I tried to "smooth" a grainy finish by spraying a 50/50 mix of Future and Windex and it seemed to result in a bit more glossy finish than using just straight Windex.  Perhaps the degree of graininess is the deciding factor in deciding how much Windex to use - less grainy = less Windex?

I have also found that the best flat clear to use is the Krylon rattle can.  Far superior to Testors.  It is really dead flat and in my experience is compatible with all enamels, decals, and Future.  Krylon clear comes in gloss, satin, and flat - all of which work very well.

Bill