Author Topic: [WIP] Double Type XXIII build (ICM and Trumpeter, both 1/144)  (Read 56625 times)

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
With my U-2536 nearing it's completion I have started working on another project. As the title states it is going to be a "double-build" of two Type XXIII coastal submarines.
The reason behind building two of them is simple: I have originally purchased the ICM kit and managed to find Griffon's PE set for it. Recently Trumpeter released their Type XXIII and after buying the kit (which is way superior to ICM, BTW) I have decided to build ICM's kit as S-170 Hai, post war waterline diorama (thinking about having the boat moored at quay) with some modified Preiser figures and the Trumpeter's as U-2322 full-hulled version.

I have started on the ICM's kit and here are few pictures:
Opened the three circular holes on the hull, cut out the positioning lights alcoves and removed the sail's railing (which I'm gonna scratchbuild). Also marked the lines where I intend to cut the hull

Reworked the sail's interior and added some details (like the life preserver's hanger)

Stay tuned, TBC...
« Last Edit: 09 Aug , 2009, 03:54 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

bracco_n

niicee I loved the CG interior!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
efficiency and clever idea! You're off to an excellent start.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Gentlemen,
after a little bit over year I'm back from dead....
Sorry for the blackout in communication but I've gone through quite rough patch of  my life. I have moved from central Ohio to Tampa, FL and finally settled down (for a while anyway) and found some time for my most favorite hobby again.

The work on U-Hai and type XXIII double build will continue...

Here's a few updated pictures where the project(s) stand right now:
U-Hai is almost finished, but I need to clear up some details:
I'm trying to portrait U-Hai (S 170) in post war configuration (before the installation of M-1 sonar). I've gone through all my type XXIII pictures and here are my questions:
(1) The picture of model of U-Hai in Eberhart Rossler & Fritz Kohler's - Vom Original Zum Modell - Uboottyp XXIII on page 75 shows the boat in this configuration:

no M-1 sonar, no forward rigging and some sort of antennae on the back of the conning tower. I can't see where is it actually attached to the CT, looks like a loop in a shape of V attached to both sides of the CT. Is that a correct assumption?
Here is another picture (U-Hai in 1958):

(2) I always wanted to build a quay diorama so I will try to portrait U-hai moored at the quay but it brings another question: the removable rigging on the deck is placed on port side of the boat. I wanted to place the boat so it is facing right. That would put the boat port side to the quay and the rigging would get in way of gangway....
How does that work?

Here's a quick Photoshop mock-up of what I'm trying to achieve:

(3) I was thinking about getting one (or two) 1/144 models of Opel Blitz truck to place on the top of the quay but I'm not sure if Bundesmarine still used them in 50s-60s?

More pictures of the progress:

The PE is (very hard to find) Griffon all the detailing scratchbuild.

No progress on the Trumpeter XXIII as of now. I have decided to build the U-2360 instead of U-2322. I quite like the more streamlined CT...

I'd really appreciate if somebody could answer my questions so can proceed with the build.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 17 Nov , 2010, 09:28 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

TRM

Concus,

Nice little project you have there!  I like the dockside diorama.  I also like your thought on the Opel Blitz.  Lots of dockside activity brings the diorama together nicely. In the end, it's your preference on what to add.  Looking forward to watching your progress!

Cheers!

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
I just spent couple hours working on the crew. They are modified Preiser tank crew figures. I definitely broke sweat on these. Just FYI the figures are only 12mm tall. My eyes hurt. :D

On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
nice!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Crew is finished. Painted, blackwashed and clearcoated.
I've included SD card in pictures for size reference:

TBC...
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Glad to see you back conus00.  Your build is progressing nicely.  Great job on the crew!

Ernest

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Thanks Greif.
Finally have two days off from my two jobs. Started working on the wharf. Pics coming up soon...
« Last Edit: 26 Nov , 2010, 19:22 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Just a very quick update.
This is how the overall composition going to look like:
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
I think it's time to put the "double" (as stated in the name of the thread) in play and start working on the Trumpeter's kit.
Started to do some extensive research on U-2360 and found some interesting info:
First of all I found (on some Uruguayan website this, unknown to me) picture of U-2360 with some interesting facts

Until now my only reference was this picture:

If you read the description it clearly states that the stripes on the U-2360 were YELLOW (training) contrary to belief (and all type XXIII releases so far) that they were white...
Also the description says that U-2360 carried yellow stripe on the bow.

After zooming in and out and playing with contrast in Photoshop I am convinced that there is a stripe on bow (Fig.1) and inclined to believe that U-2360 had stripe on the aft as well (Fig.2):

Also the first picture clearly shows the UAK trials insignia. After a few minutes in the Photoshop I came up with this mock-up:

(I'm still not sold on the stripe on the aft, though. I guess I will sleep on it for a while)
What are your thoughts gentlemen?

I have a few other issues though. There is a lack of detailed pictures of the inside of the CT.
I would appreciate if somebody could help me out and share with me some photos.
Here is what I found in my archive so far:

Looking forward your thoughts/ideas...
« Last Edit: 27 Nov , 2010, 09:05 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
One thing I noticed in the last photograph was the floor grating is wood! On all the other U-boats it is metal.

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Decided to open the largest holes on the bow (the small ones I'll just "simulate" using black paint).
I'm happy with the result (pictures make them look little uneven but they are nice and smooth on the model):

When I dry-fitted the halves of hull together I have noticed that the holes don't line up. I have followed the original Trumpeter's holes exactly, so my question is: were the holes on Type XXIII really this offset?
Can't find good top view blueprint.

Edit: according to this blueprint, the holes were indeed offset. Hmmm, interesting. Never noticed that.

On the other hand the two top holes seem to bee too big on the model and wrong angle...  >:(

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: 27 Nov , 2010, 11:36 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia

From this picture they look offset. You can just see the fore two vents between the left block.

Plan
http://www.mediafire.com/?upme1h68agdrr3m