Author Topic: New article - Type VII modifications  (Read 3941 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
New article - Type VII modifications
« on: 17 May , 2009, 06:53 »
Hi guys,

A new article is now available to download via the library section of the AMP website. This one is entitled Type VII Modifications.

We are all aware that many modifications were made to the Type VIIC fleet. Certain features were introduced, others deleted, in an attempt to meet the changing technological and operational requirements of the Battle of the Atlantic. Modellers often ask whether the U-boat they have chosen to model had features such as net cutters, breakwaters or a wind deflector. And if so, when did their boat have these features? And when were they removed? They are often unclear about what time period the Revell kits are suitable for, and what alterations are needed to depict a mid-war boat.

No book will answer these pertinent questions. Even with a dozen books at their disposal, each replete with period photos, the modeller will struggle to identify how their chosen boat was modified and what features were present at a given time. With this in mind, I have written this article to address some of the modifications that VIIC and VIIC/41 modellers should be aware of. The modifications made to the Type VIIA and VIIB are included to show the developments of the VII that preceded the launching of the first VIIC.

I have made no attempt to delve into a technical analysis; my points are intentionally limited in scope to those of specific interest to the U-boat modeller. And there are modifications and features not covered in the article. As such this overview is NOT intended in any way to be a comprehensive paper detailing every change made throughout the fleet. Further research will be required, particularly with respect to late war boats.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
Re: New article - Type VII modifications
« Reply #1 on: 17 May , 2009, 10:14 »
       Dougie, Many thanks for your efforts...It's of enormous use....Bill
« Last Edit: 17 May , 2009, 14:33 by billp51d »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 17 May , 2009, 13:14 »
just one additional info:
the top of the central teardrop shaped inlet trunk on some VIIB was tilted backwards (side picture in deutsches u-boot archiv cuxhaven) that's the only way to give the shoulder pieces on the 2cm room...........
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 17 May , 2009, 14:22 »
Hi Rapala,

Yes, you are right about the tilt. I noticed this a few months ago, on a U 74 photo. I had written most of the article at that point, and forgot to add it later. I think the tilt may have been on all the VIIB trunks.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 17 May , 2009, 15:08 »
Thanks Dougie for your efforts.  I am certain this new work will be of great interest to everyone and a essential tool for anyone attempting to build an accurate model.  Your work is most appreciated!

Bill

bracco_n

« Reply #5 on: 17 May , 2009, 16:10 »
Thanks for your effort Dougie! We appreciate it!

Mr.Mox

« Reply #6 on: 18 May , 2009, 01:16 »
Top notch! - great read and very usefull.

Thanks/Jan

(now get back to that II A etch  ;) )

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 18 May , 2009, 03:58 »
Hi Rapala,

Yes, you are right about the tilt. I noticed this a few months ago, on a U 74 photo. I had written most of the article at that point, and forgot to add it later. I think the tilt may have been on all the VIIB trunks.

Cheers,

Dougie
the problem is that the trunk in the otherwise extremely beautiful PE set from wem doesn't have this tilt.
Sincerely

Ralf

vonbulowfla

« Reply #8 on: 18 May , 2009, 19:34 »
dougie' fantastic work on the modifications thread . very helpful thank you .!  :)