Author Topic: Bullnoses  (Read 4265 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Bullnoses
« on: 12 May , 2009, 10:15 »
It seems that the style of bullnose varied a fair bit between the VIIC and VIIC/41... and also between variants of the VIIC/41 as well depending on whether or not the boat had an "Atlantic bow" (more flared out at the top).

First pic:
A VIIC with a fairly narrow nose (not an "Atlantic bow").  The bullnose is nicely sculpted with a more pronounced channel ahead of the inlet.

Second pic:
Showing two different VIIC variants. 
Left boat does not seem to have an Atlantic bow, as it is missing the pronounced flare toward the front of the nose. The bullnose is not as "sculpted" as on the VIIC pic, and the channel ahead of the inlet is not very pronounced.
Right boat seems to have an Atlantic bow, shown by the flare toward the nose.  The bullnose inlet & channel are even less pronounced.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Bullnoses
« Reply #1 on: 12 May , 2009, 19:03 »
For anyone interested in how I updated the bullnose on U-673 ... again... I have updated my build site again.

http://www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U673
go to section "Hull Detailing 2"
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 12 May , 2009, 20:19 »
To my understand there should be 3 bows variants for the Type VIIC

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #3 on: 12 May , 2009, 20:31 »
To my understand there should be 3 bows variants for the Type VIIC
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #4 on: 12 May , 2009, 21:52 »
I think you totally right on the bow bows variants in the pictures. The one on the left is standard and the right is a Atlantic bow. The reason why I though all VIIC/41 had the Atlantic bow was that all VIIC/41 are 130 mm longer than the VIIC with the standard bow, by adding the Atlantic bow it made the VIIC approximately 130 mm longer.

I though that both boats were VIIC in the picture. Nevertheless you are right the boat on the left does looks like a VIIC/41. Yet a few very late VIIC had bow life raft containers like U-249.

Below are some plans of the Atlantic bow for the VIIC, you can see how they made the changes.

By nzsnowman at 2009-05-12

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #5 on: 13 May , 2009, 07:19 »
NICE pic... are there other angles too (like from the front & top) that show the wider side flares?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 13 May , 2009, 13:07 »
Hi guys,

Interesting discussion. Snowman said the following -

"To my understand there should be 3 bows variants for the Type VIIC

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: 13 May , 2009, 15:24 »
NICE pic... are there other angles too (like from the front & top) that show the wider side flares?

No...sorry :( (I would love to see some plans for my drawing...also). I have yet to see any original German plans for any part of the bow above

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #8 on: 13 May , 2009, 15:43 »

Many (or perhaps all?) of the mid-to-late war modifications that were introduced to the fleet seemed to be added to boats regardless of whether they were VIICs or VIIC/41s. Were there modifications that were added only to VIICs or only to the VIIC/41s?

This is a very good question!! I have also been thinking about this. I imagine that it was only the VIIC that were updated, as I imagine that all VIIC/41 were petty to update with this new toys ;D However, a few VIIC/41 got the newer toys like, the latest versions of L
« Last Edit: 13 May , 2009, 15:45 by NZSnowman »