Author Topic: U-505 Bombed- pics added Thinking about modeling it 11/10/1942  (Read 1270 times)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Well in reviewing the Great Wolf Pack II last night and again tonight I was drawn back again and again to the pic of the U-505 just after it was bombed by a Hudson in August, 1942. Wow, it stated that it was the most damaged U-Boat to make it back to Harbor.

Has anyone ever modeled the U-505 in that damaged state?? Something to think about. I believe with the amount of extras that you would have to add would make this a very interesting hard build.

Any thoughts? Any builders up to it??

Page 23 Wolf Pack II

Later Tim
« Last Edit: 03 May , 2018, 07:20 by 42rocker »

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Re: U-505 Bombed
« Reply #1 on: 02 May , 2018, 22:20 »
Well I'm at that interesting time of my life, I think about the next project. Think Plan and sometimes, just sometimes, do it.

I have been drawn back to the U-505 Bombed pic. (see above) Well I searched a little more and found another pic in Dougie's great Wolf pack 2. Then I found 1 or 2 more on the net. Review Think some more. Ok, I going to start planning on doing the bombed U-505 sub model.

I bought 2 U-505 IXC Revell 05114 kits a while back and was planning to do the 2 subs meeting diorama and a U-505 as it is at the MOSI.

Well while I have been on the U-505 several times and was planning to build it as I saw it sitting outside of the MOSI. I know it's inside now but.

So I have been thinking about doing it as it was the day after it was bombed on 11/10/1942. Do the inside with cmk kits and do the outside as bombed. There are enough U-505's as it is inside. I'm joining Glenn and going to do it different, my way so to speak.

Pictures, info, whatever that anyone would be willing to share showing the bomb damage would be great. There should be more than 3 or 4 pics that I have found. Dougie's Wolf Pack 2 has a lot more Great info that I have pulled and printed.

I'm going to post the pics that I have on this. I'm not sure on 1 of the pics so let us know what you think of the pics.

The 4th pic is one of the ones I'm not sure of. Also there is another pic in the Wolf Pac 2 that I did not post. I've printed a copy for myself to study.

Later Tim
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2018, 22:22 by 42rocker »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Hi Tim,

I think the 4th photo is not U 505.

If you send me your email in a PM I'll send you plenty of post-attack shots of U 505.

The aft deck and rear of tower were a mess so this would be quite a project.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Bad Karma

• Lieutenant
Hi Dougie and Tim,

Fourth picture, this is the U-843 when the boat was raised from the Kattegat on 22-08-1958.
Former Commander Oskar Herwartz was there when the boat was raised, what a lucky men he was.
He passed away in 2002, aged 86.

Hope this helps..........

my best regards,

Ron.

________
Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: curiosity.

Jim Morrison

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Everyone - Thanks for the help. Still looking for more info. Just spent about an hour working on my Gato.

Enjoy what you do.

Later Tim

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the identification. I might have guessed you would be able to ID it - many thanks

Dougie

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Dougie
THANKS and Thanks Again for the pics that you sent me. A very Interesting Outstanding group of them showing a U-505 with some major problems.

To think that her Captain took this Uboat in this shape and tried to sink a few ships before repairs were made.

Later Tim