Author Topic: 1/48 Trumpeter U boat build Info-Conning Tower  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
1/48 Trumpeter U boat build Info-Conning Tower
« on: 22 Feb , 2018, 02:54 »
Hello My first post.
I'm from New Zealand like Snowman.
Just discovered this site and it is fantastic but there is so much info that it is a bit confusing.
Im building the Trumpeter 1/48th U boat. Have 90% completed the Bow Torpedo rooms and the Petty Officers, Radio Soanar Captains area.
I have researched a lot on the internet on accuracy as I realise that Trumpeter didn't do a very good job.And as I research it gets frustrating to see more detail or mistakes I could have rectified.
As there is so much wrong with the model ( but it still is very impressive) and my skills are not quite up to producing a 100% accurate model.
So my goal is I've taken a bit of 'artistic' licence to add detail to make the model look more interesting (as the OOB Trumpeter looks very bare) whilst still striving for accuracy when its practical.

I have a lot of internal Conning Tower internet pictures as mentioned on here ref the Conning Tower internals but they never quite give enough info.
I've tried to sketch some pictures of the positions of the internal Dials, Attack Periscope, Torpedo computer , lights, Voice tubes etc to add details but I was wondering if anyone has already done this already, or has 3d drawings etc and can share?

I see there are already some existing threads but the mentioned pictures are no longer on the threads, no doubt when Photobucket did their thing.

Thanks

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: 1/48 Trumpeter U boat build Info-Conning Tower
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb , 2018, 03:25 »
Hi Raymic1,
I'm Filippo from Padova, Italy; I'm building the Trumpy U552 too ( see my thread opened in this forum ).
I have hundreds of images of conning tower, found on internet; I think it's quite easy to superdetail the inner of connning tower utilizing the material you can found on internet.
Anyway, I share with you some drawings I have ( more on next days ).
I'll hoper that you'll open a new thread on your building report.
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb , 2018, 03:47 »

Look also at this 1/72 model, with a lot of photos of conning tower....

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2374&pageNo=1

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb , 2018, 03:54 »
Maybe these photos can help....

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb , 2018, 11:38 »
Hi Raymic1,
I'm Filippo from Padova, Italy; I'm building the Trumpy U552 too ( see my thread opened in this forum ).
I have hundreds of images of conning tower, found on internet; I think it's quite easy to superdetail the inner of connning tower utilizing the material you can found on internet.
Anyway, I share with you some drawings I have ( more on next days ).
I'll hoper that you'll open a new thread on your building report.
Cheers.
Filippo

Re: Pic 15 - Periscope anti-vibrations device. This should only be found on the Attack Periscope.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb , 2018, 12:41 »
Dear Fillipo and NZSnowman
Thank you for your wonderful photos and replies. And they will come very useful when I progress onto the Exterior.

Unfortunately I apologise as I was not clear.

I need the inside of the Conning Tower were the Commander sits at his attack periscope.
There are not many interior Conning tower shots maybe 10 or so on the internet that I can find . I have photos off the internet of Color U-995 and some black and white original ones which give me limited information.

Due to the very small interior and no public access to U 995 I guess not many photos exist?

Has anyone got interior drawings or more photos of the Type Vii conning tower that show the Internal layout?

I already have David Westwoods Anatomy of a Uboat drawings but even they are not accurate with enough detail.

PS Fillipo your modelling is superb on your blog. I will follow you with much interest.
thanks again
Raymic

« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2018, 12:58 by Raymic1 »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb , 2018, 12:55 »
And NZSnowman your 3D drawings are amazing too.
Just sent u a PM.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2018, 14:32 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb , 2018, 00:23 »
Hi Raymic,
you are right, it isn't easy to find photois of the conning tower interior, probably because of the difficult to take photos inside the conning tower ( wide angle optics probably weren't in the age ); about the drawings, I didn't see anyone...
I post you what I have...
Cheers

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb , 2018, 00:26 »
...that's all.
I hope you'll share with us your work.
See you

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb , 2018, 02:06 »
Hi Filippo
Thank you for these. Yes I have all of these except 114 is new. Is this U570 ?

It seems all internet photos are either limited ones from U995 or old ones from the U570 report.
It's a shame that Laboe curators haven't been able to update us with some more photos.
Even www.uboataces.com DVD which is great doesn't have access to the Conning tower.
I had hoped that some 'official' construction drawings existed.

Trying to put together jigsaw pictures of even a semi accurate elliptical walls with a concave ceiling is giving me a headache but with my limited skills Ill see how I go.
If I get something worthy of presenting Ill will of course share.

ps:I also have 3-4 more photos as well.
Thanks again.

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb , 2018, 03:41 »
Hi,
few more, the last ones...

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb , 2018, 12:09 »

... I was wondering if anyone has already done this already, or has 3d drawings etc and can share?

Sorry, I have no interior 3-D models. I am still working on the outside of the pressure hull.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb , 2018, 12:41 »
Thanks Filipo and NZsnowman.

Saving the best for last Photo 141 is very good as it shows the Navigators instruments and position with great detail.
It looks like more modern photos show U995 has had the dials removed (and the Computer is on separate display) which made the photos confusing.

The main detail still missing is on the walls behind the commander when he is sitting at the attack periscope. The U570 report ones tantalizingly nearly show it.
Hopefully some more photos eventually surface on the web.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb , 2018, 12:42 by Raymic1 »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar , 2018, 15:15 »
A few quick pics. LOTS of detail still to go around the inside of the Conning Tower.
Also painting , instrument decals weathering etc etc.

Nearly finished the Navigators position with all the Dials etc. I am enclosing it with Clear perspex a lot thinner than the Trumpeter plastic. I'm thinking I will install the equipment on the Clear perspex also as this is where the VERY important Torpedo Computer was ( that Trumpeter supplies) and also the Torpedo firing mechanism behind the Ladder.
This will hopefully give a very interesting 360 degree perspective.
Also I am still obtaining info on the walls around the Attack Periscope (Kapitans position)
The U-995 curator has been very forthcoming and helpful and I'm hoping to receive some news next week.

Note that the Tower was over 2m tall and extended down into the Deck hence I've made it larger as is accurate.
Trumpeter only extends it to the Top deck which makes it only approx 1.5m high.

Also Im waiting on some Shapeways Hatches as the Trumpeter ones are woeful as you can see......
Also the floor was not this texture but other than drilling 200 * 0.25mm drain holes I'll have to wait until someone makes an etch floor...........
Note. I wish my modelling skills were better but I do this for the enjoyment and am not a professional modeller so please forgive any mistakes  :)
« Last Edit: 17 Mar , 2018, 15:19 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar , 2018, 04:04 »
Hi Raymic,
I'm very interested on your model, and I'll follow all your build updatings...
I post a drawing with conning tower measurements: maybe it will help you...
I noticed that you used some figurines not supplied by Trumpeter's kit: can you tell me where you found them ?
I noticed you completed other parts of model: can you post some photos ?
Thanks in advance and keep on...
Cheers.
Filippo