Author Topic: U Boot in Focus #14 – out now  (Read 1182 times)

Offline falo

• Admiral
U Boot in Focus #14 – out now
« on: 03 Aug , 2017, 13:41 »
Hi guys,

please follow the link (full video review of UiF #14). At 5:32 you will see a interesting paint scheme of a VIIC/41:

https://modelbuilderinternational.com/review-u-boot-im-focus-14/

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 03 Aug , 2017, 22:41 by falo »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: U Boot in Focus #14 – out now
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug , 2017, 12:35 »
Thanks Falo,

UiF14 is another issue to the usual very high standard. That review is really good and gives everyone a detailed look at this edition. The camouflage paint scheme of U 481 is particularly good. Note that U 481 had Turm IV, Atlantic bow and planked deck so one could build this boat using Revell's VIIC/41 kits (either 144th or 72nd). Really good camo schemes were rare for late war boats so the scheme in UiF14 is particularly useful.

There is also a very good tower camouflage scheme on page 17 (see 4:17) which I haven't seen before. Again it would make a good model subject, this time of a standard VIIC with Turm 0.

There is a review of UiF13 here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq9SGlkReJA

At 3:35 in that review of UiF13 you can see a little of the camo scheme on a Type IIA. If anyone has the Special Hobby 72nd IIA kit this camo scheme can be used on your model.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug , 2017, 14:19 »
Hi Dougie,

thanks for your information (very useful as always).

Just a question: I'am missing the four life containers on the foredeck of U-481, do you think they were dismantled because U-481 was "only" operating in the baltic sea?

Thanks in advance and regards
falo

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 08 Aug , 2017, 15:09 »
Hello Falo,

Well spotted on the lack of containers. According to page 10 of my article "List Of U-Boat Modifications & Identification Features" the four containers (sometimes fewer) were a feature that were added in late 1944. I have been unable to provide a more precise time date than late 44. I reckon the UiF photos of U 481 in the summer and autumn of 1944 show the boat before any life containers were added to the foredeck.

One photo (probably from 1945) shows U 481 with one singular container on the foredeck. I presume that was added sometime in late 1944 or so.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 08 Aug , 2017, 23:49 »
Hello Dougie,

again thanks for your helpful information.

I have ordered a copy of UiF'#14 today and will keep you updated about the U 481-article and U boat operations in the baltic sea during WWII.

Regards
falo