Author Topic: Bow diving tank and drainage holes  (Read 277 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Lt Cdr
Bow diving tank and drainage holes
« on: 27 Apr , 2017, 23:52 »
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to understand the conformation of bow diving tank ( also called Ballast Tank n. 5 in many drawings ); in the available plans, as the drawing I posted ( from " The Type VII U- Boat Anatomy of the ship " by David Westwood ), this tank ( called "V" in the drawing D8/10 ) spans including the drainage slots ( n. 8 in the drawing D8/10 ) for free flooding of the lower forward casing.
The question is: the watertight conformation of bow diving tank can not include the drainage slots, so, probably, there were some bulkheads on diving tank that confined the slots outside the tank: is it correct ?
Can someone give a drawing that explains the shape of this tank, maybe in section view ?
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Bow diving tank and drainage holes
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr , 2017, 13:09 »
Filippo, I am no expert on the tanks (Tore, Don or Maciek will be able to be you right), but the vents should be at the bottom of the tank to be able to drain the tank. There should be a high pressures line going to the tank to blow the water out and a vent at the top from the tank to let air out and the water into the tank.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2 on: 01 May , 2017, 09:12 »

Filippo.
Two of the main ballasttanks, no 1 and 5 have no kingstons  (bottom floodvalves)  and have only free flood gates in the bottom. For the bow section you have a number of tanks, apart from MBT 5, the bow buoyancytank and the forepeak tank shown on my image below. The buoyancy tank is not a ballasttank and do not participate in the diving allthough it has a vent and a LP airblowingconnection. This is meant to improve the surface condition, reducing the pitching and the forepeak is a kind of small collision buffer.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2017, 00:33 by tore »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 01 May , 2017, 23:41 »
Thanks Tore and NZSnowman...